Book Talk

Discussion: The Quote that You can NEVER forget!

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago

I hope everyone's doing well!!

Well, here I am presenting the ...

We've read many books but there are some very nice ones that leave an impact on us.  Sometimes it's the story, the characters, or sometimes it's just a particular part and/or quote in that book. 

Is there are quote from any book that you can think of right now that you absolutely love?  Can you post it here? Paraphrasing is fine as long as we get the essence of it.

Why is it so meaningful for you?

Do you think the author's style and choice of words have the potential of making a particular part memorable or completely destroying it?
Any additional comments are always welcome!

Enjoy discussing!  

Mahi
IF Development Team

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Navi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Is there are quote from any book that you can think of right now that you absolutely love?  Can you post it here? Paraphrasing is fine as long as we get the essence of it.
My thoughts create the world.

Wit beyond measure is mans greatest treasure.

After all this time? Always.

Do not pity the dead harry, pity the living and above all those who live without love.

Don't ever tell anybody anything.  If you do, you start missing everybody

Come on you second-hand litterature, pull the trigger.
Guess where they are from :)

Why is it so meaningful for you? The way it's put, you know how sometimes you just can't verbalize something without sounding like an idiot saying "um" and "like you know". Also,  because it had some memorable factor to it; truth, shock, funny, wise, etc.

Do you think the author's style and choice of words have the potential of making a particular part memora? Most definitely. Without being verbiage or dumbing down the dialouge, it strikes the reader more.
Edited by -Navi - 14 years ago
Anhdara13 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
At the moment, the only quote, from a book, that i can remember that I adore, is from Eclipse. And considering the fact that I really did not enjoy the series (something about Bella just irked me) it says a lot about Meyer's writing.

A whole chapter, and it was one line long. Jacob Black is awesome.

'Life sucks and then you die.'

I seriously found this quote both true, and hilarious. I think Meyer had an unintentional pun in it. The ;sucks' bit, and her book being about vampires, and Jake referring to losing Bella to a vampire. I found it hilarious. And this quote has gotten me through tough times.

An author's writing definitely has the potential to make or break the book, or scene. For example, JK Rowling's writing of Harry-Ginny in HBP completely threw me. For someone who usually wrote well, she completely trashed how I saw HG, and made me turn to fanfictions for a better written alternative. On the other hand, Meyer wrote the pack in her series pretty well, though I didn't enjoy the series overall. Go figure.

Great post Mahi Di! Thank you!

Love,
Radz

-Navi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Harry Potter is not a romance series, romance only came up because it naturally had to because Harry was coming of age so it would've been weird if he was like asexual. Actually there are very cute little H/G scenes in the books prior to HBP. Like in GoF, in the chapter before the Yule Ball I believe there was a part when everyone was laughing about Ron yelling/asking out Fleur and then Harry mentions he asked Cho out, and there's a line where it says something like "Ginny stopped smiling" but better written. I don't get how some people say that Harry-Ginny was random, when it was anything but. It just took Harry some time. I only started liking Harry-Ginny like spring of this year when I re-read the series after quite some time.

I believe that "Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn", taking Stephen Kings words.
Edited by -Navi - 14 years ago
Anhdara13 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
^^ Navi, I'm not saying that she can't write. Jo Rowling can write, much better than Meyer actually. Just, the way she expressed HarryGinny in HBP? The whole 'monster in his chest' thingy? If she wanted to put in romance, the subtle bits of it in the earlier books were much better than the romance angle in HBP. The rest of the book was alright in my opinion.

Love,
Radz

Arushi. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
well im a qoute person.. when i sit to read books i sit with a pencil in hand and underline all the brilliant lines i find..
so there are lots..
one of my top favorites is from brida..
"nothing in the world is ever completely wrong, even a stopped clock is right twice a day"

then another fav from Only love is real,
" Like ripples in a pond, after a heavy stone disturbs its peaceful surface, waves of grief spread slowly outward"

ahh i can go on and on about so many..
lovely topic !
missmhow thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
lovely topic...
this one is fm illusions by richard bach
the mark of ur ignorance is the depth of ur belief in tragedy and injustice....wht a caterpillar calls the end of the world ,a master calls a butterfly.....
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: -Navi

Harry Potter is not a romance series, romance only came up because it naturally had to because Harry was coming of age so it would've been weird if he was like asexual. Actually there are very cute little H/G scenes in the books prior to HBP. Like in GoF, in the chapter before the Yule Ball I believe there was a part when everyone was laughing about Ron yelling/asking out Fleur and then Harry mentions he asked Cho out, and there's a line where it says something like "Ginny stopped smiling" but better written.I don't get how some people say that Harry-Ginny was random, when it was anything but. It just took Harry some time. I only started liking Harry-Ginny like spring of this year when I re-read the series after quite some time.

I believe that "Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn", taking Stephen Kings words.

Agree with what you said, esp the red part.πŸ‘ I actually like how JKR didn't make romance her priority, because honestly, it would have ruined the beauty of her series if all the characters ever did was snog or think about girls/guys.

And while I too am not a HUGE fan of the Harry/Ginny coupling, I do like them as a couple, and I also can't understand how others think it came out of no where. I agree that for someone who only sees the movies and never read the books, Harry/Ginny did come out of nowhere, but there are subtle hints in all the books that Harry/Ginny would eventually end up together.

Harry was going through a lot, already much more than any ordinary teenager, and to add to that, he experienced the same romantic feelings other teenagers did as well. The 'weird' descriptions some may not have liked about Harry's feelings are natural, because all Harry had to worry about was never only his romantic feelings. He had to worry about defeating, possibly killing, one of the darkest wizards of all times, he saw some of his loved ones die. Added to that, it'd be stupid if his feelings were described like, or made him seem like a knight in shining armor.πŸ˜•πŸ˜† 

And I also don't agree that JKR can't write romance, because the way in which she described Snape's feelings for Lily was MUCH better than what other authors wrote for their romance novels. And what to say of the Ron and Hermione jodi? JKR could write romance, and what romance she wrote in her books she wrote well, it's just that romance wasn't her top priority.
muffins2waffles thumbnail
This is my fav. one from Sarah Dessen's Lock and Key  that I really like. If you haven't read it, you really should.  

"It's a lot easier to be lost than found. It's the reason we're always searching and rarely discovered--so many locks not enough keys."

Nice topic Mahi! :D
nondescript thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
@ Arushi- Both very beautiful especially the Clock one. Loved it, Might use it on my next signature

@MusicalAiswarya - Beautiful

Well I can't remember where I read it sorry😳 but here goes -

-Nothing lasts forever, so live it up, drink it down. laugh it off, avoid all the bulls**t take chances and never have regrets because at one point everything you did was exactly what YOU wanted.

- True Love doesn't have a happy ending, it doesn't have an ending.
Edited by hannahdmg - 14 years ago