Articles Related to KGGK-No Comments - Page 59

Posted: 14 years ago
We are drama queens: Saakshi Tanwar

A decade ago, Saakshi Tanwar was nobody to many, like most of us. Her father dreamt of her becoming a software consultant. And he invested heavily on her studies in in Software Engineering. She walked around as a free bird with no big dreams. She had options: if she would not be a software consultant, she would pursue either teaching students at a school or a job as civil servant.

And one day she met Ekta Kapoor (of the Balaji Telefilms). After which everything changed for her.

"I sill remember that day nine years ago. As I met Ekta, she offered me the lead role in her serial. I wasn't comfortable in the beginning. She warned me how my life would change in two weeks if I signed her offer," Saakshi reminiscenes.

And it did.

The idea was to accept the challenge of Ekta Kapoor. The debutante accepted the offer and got into her first serial. Her first step to showbiz was called "Kahaani Ghar Ghar kii" (KGGK)

Before KGGK, there were hardly any teleserials on Star Plus channel. A different genre of Hindi soaps including crime investigation and horror used to dominate the evening shows. The household stories of "normal families" were never the content for the television audience. With the arrival of KGGK and "Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi" – another Balaji production – and wave of such women-based family shows the idea of producing such shows was soon adopted by Sony Television, Star's archrival in India. In fact, KGGK was one of the very few teleserials and one by Ekta Kapoor that ran for eight straight years and got the highest TRPs for Star Plus so far. Now Star Plus is entirely known for daily soaps that are based on family dramas and are high on emotive story content. In Nepal, the audience limited itself to Pakistani teleserials shown on Nepal Television (NTV).

Saakshi, more popularly known as Parvati of KGGK, had her role in the serial well received not only in India but also in Nepal. Housewives started to gather around their television every evening and the story content started to dictate the norm and understanding of a middle class urban family. The wives, daughters and mothers fell in love with Tanwar's character, and they made sure that they didn't miss any of the episodes. And if they did, they made sure they were updated with either a re-run or from their "saheli." It was then began the battles between husband and wife, father and mother started to erupt in families across. Men could not stand the soaps while women could not stop gluing themselves to such shows. The intense attraction of the family dramas may have shifted to reality-based shows like Indian Idol and Rakhi ki Swayambher, but the tussle between the men and women for remote control still holds strong.

On her short visit to Kathmandu for the promotion of a women's accessory product, Saakshi Tanwar talked to Republica about the growing popularity of serials in India, its influences, her career and more.

Excerpts:

Republica: Just like in India, there are a lot of people in Nepal, too, who love watching Hindi serials. How do you guys make people addicted so much?

Saakshi: See, when KGGK started, we wanted to make sure that we touched everything that happened to one's life. We wanted to deal with human emotions and we wanted to give people different ways of coming out their problems. We largely succeeded. That's why we're loved by so many.

You're talking about going close to reality through serials. You mean to say all that emotional dramas keep on taking place in real life? Often, it's just tragedies in serials.

Don't you think human life is so full of tragedies and miseries? And when it comes to women, it's even more. Isn't it a truth that we go through difficult times more that we come across happiness?

But because of these serials, men are often upset with their wives. Channels like Star Plus and Sony show serials one after the other and mostly during the evenings and men don't get to grab the remote control.

If the remote control is left to your "home minister" just for the evening hours only, what's so wrong about it? [Laughs]. Women look after everything from dawn to night. So let her chill down during the evening, and let her relate her own life and problems to the serials.

You said the kind of family drama serials Star Plus has been coming up with helps people come out of their problems. But there have been much complaints that the same serials add mess to households.

How can you say that? We always show that no matter what, truth wins by the end.

It may be true. But those sisters-in-law, who never fought before, started fighting with each other because they are influenced by Parvati and Pallavi of KGGK going the opposite directions in the serial. They are influenced by their lifestyles, and the accommodation standards your serials often depict. Now they want highly embellished and sophisticated lifestyle, heavy makeup kits, jewelries like you all wear. Even in boutiques, women are found saying 'I want saris like Parvati and Prerana wear in their serials.'

Yes, it's true that women want to look like us, want to dress up stylishly like the actors do in the serial. But what's wrong about that? Women are often tagged with beauty and sensitivity, aren't they? And if so, we ought to be beautiful. Even men want their wives to be like Parvati, a dedicated wife, a good homemaker, a good daughter-in-law, and a responsible mother. But they forget to be like Om (Parvati's husband in KGGK) – a complete man in all disciplines. So if you behave like Parvati, your in-laws will get all what you want.

You talk about getting close to reality. Everything's portrayed so picture-perfect in the serials. But don't you think women in real life don't wake up wearing an embroidered sari on and in full makeup even when they are physically ill. Take yourself for example. You must've been 90 to 100 years in KGGK before the serial came to an end. And you still looked like you were in your mid-thirties when you already had you great grandson.

[Laughs aloud] See, somewhere one has to draw the line between fiction and reality. You can't bring a 90-year-old to do the role. Besides, as actors, we come at the last stage of filming. We do have our say but we don't poke into the ideas of producers and directors. All of us are given our jobs. We concentrate on that. Apart from that, there's always good and bad about everything. It's up to you to what you want to take up.

Why do you think almost all Indian serials are so women-oriented? Can't there be serials based on lifestyles of men?

We have to admit that women are very emotional. We're drama queens, and television is a medium for us to get inspiration. We can't be rational like men. We don't understand James Bond coming out and shooting here and there all the time. We want relief, and we look forward to relating ourselves to something that's close to us. So serials are the right platform for women to come up with all that they face in their lives. And there are other reality shows for men on various channels.

Okay, coming to your personal life, KKGK ended more than half a year ago. What next in your career now?

After working for eight years, I surely deserve some rest. I've already worked for Ashutosh Rana's upcoming film "Coffeehouse" and I'm doing the Crime against Women program in Doordarshan. I guess I may not be doing serials again because somewhere in life you need to move in another direction. Let the new generation follow our steps. I'm single and I hope to be like my character in real
life too.

Where have all the vamps gone?
Vamp - that uniquely Indian word for women who are less than sweet and good, and often more than bold and scheming. We especially love her for the drama and excitement she adds to any Indian serial. We don't get to see as many vamps on TV anymore, but here's our list of favourites:

Anchint Kaur, Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii
Achint's most famous role was as the vamp, Pallavi, in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii. But these kind of roles were her forte, as we saw in Ranbir Rano, Karam Apnaa Apnaa, Virrudh, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Kittie Party, and, in the early days, in Banegi Apni Baat, Swabhimaan, Saaya and Parchhaiyan. Achint also runs her own salon, where she her time away from acting. It's been a while seen we saw her in any serial.

Link http://www.indya.com/gallery/indyagallery.aspx?aid=871
Vamps gone good

After bitching about and plotting the downfall of the main protagonists on TV shows, these vamps have themselves ditched their negative images and gone good.

Kavita Kaushik

She did the negative role of Manya, a psycho lover who wanted to steal her man back, in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii. She was well-appreciated for her insanity but, for a change, she is now famous as Haryanvi cop Chandramukhi Choutala in FIR. This character has turned to be a bigger hit for her than the earlier one.

Sweta Keswani

She is known for her negative roles in Des Main Nikala Hoga Chand and Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii, for which she was loved and hated by fans. Now, she plays a bindass Punjabi kudi, Gudiya, in STAR Plus's Baa Bahoo Aur Baby. There has been a mixed reaction to her new role as her role in Kahaani... was more effective.

Sweta Kawatra

She became a household name as Pallavi Aggrawal of Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii, one of the most powerful vamps on TV. Now, she plays funny a Punjabi wife, Sonu Sweety, which is quite thanda compared to her earlier role.

Link http://www.indya.com/gallery/indyagallery.aspx?aid=922
Edited by Lubnavaishali - 14 years ago

Saakshi Tanwar and Ronit Roy in short film

In a tribute to Rabindranath Tagore on his 150th birth anniversary, TV stars will come together to make a film based on his short story, Kabuliwala.

Kabuliwala has been made into a Bollywood film in the past (starring veteran actor Balraj Sahni), but this time it is being re-made for a contemporary TV audience. In the short film, TV actors Ronit Roy and Saakshi Tanwar play a couple whose daughter befriends an Afghani who has come to Mumbai. Veteran actor Shahbaaz Khan plays the Kabuliwala.

Rohit Roy produces the film that will be helmed by Pankh director Sudipto Chattopadhaya. Sudipto was quoted as saying, "The story is inspired by Kabuliwala but it has a twist to it as the setting is contemporary. It is not a TV serial but a short film meant for TV, like the ones done by HBO."

The director said, "The film will first go to film festivals and will then be shown on TV. Since Rabindranath's 150th birth anniversary is approaching, it's our tribute to the man who has inspired generations." He added: "It will show the prejudice we still harbour on the basis of religion. The wife is played by Saakshi Tanwar and she suspects a man who comes from Kabul to be a Taliban terrorist."

Link http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/October/News_20091031_140

Saakshi talks about her film

Saakshi Tanwar aka Parvati bhabhi of Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii will make her big screen appearance in Pritish Nandy's Saluun directed by Nikhil Bhagat. Before this she did a film called Coffee House with Ashutosh Rana.

Why you signed this film?

"My instinct guides me while signing any project. I found the plot very fresh and the character very striking. Saluun is a black comedy and the subject is very fascinating. Sasiji my character has shades that I had not explored as an actor earlier, and I found the character quite interesting. "

How is Sasiji different from Parvati bhabhi?

"Sasiji is an agitator (firebrand) but how different she is from Parvati is something you will have to wait and watch."

After Kahaani you suddenly disappeared,so what is the reason?

"It was a conscious decision to be on this gap. I have been part of the creative team of a show Sammaan Ek Adhikaar on DD 1. The show is on air for ten months now and being on the other side of the camera was learning and inspiring experience."

With the entry in films, have you quit TV?

No. I am not on TV five days a week but I am very much around. I am in touch with Ekta, of course. Balaji was a family; still is. I recently finished a made-for-TV film, similar to HBO's one-hour series. It is adapted from the classic story Kabuliwala and is a tribute to Tagore. It is produced by Rohit Roy Productions and is directed by Sudipto Chattopadhyay. "

So now what after Saluun?
"I am and will always be open to exciting roles. Whether they are on film or on TV... My short film O Re Manvaa that recently screened at the New York International Independent Film and Video Festival and was well received. I also plan to accompany PNC to the Cairo International Film Festival where Saluun will be screened."

About the film

Saluun is the story, which based on the incident that took place in villages in Bhiwandi taluka in 2000 where the villagers decided to teach a lesson to the Government officers who had filched all the money sent for digging wells under the Integrated Rural Development Programme (IRDP) scheme. Apart from Saakshi Tanwar, Gaurav Kapur, Razak Khan and Murli Sharma are other star cast.

Link http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/November/News_20091104_15
Stars working for less money

Just a few years ago, they were the royalty of small screen as they charged astronomical amounts per day. Now with the changing times even the audiences want fresh faces. Not only this, even the recession has forced these biggies to lower  their prices.

Now many former biggies who refused to accept any offers with less money, prefer to stay away rather than accept pay cuts.

Saakshi Tanwar
Last seen in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii took home Rs 45,000 per day.  After her show got over even the actress was bored of doing the same monotonous roles which she had done for almost 8 years and wanted to grow as an actress so now she is all set to  venture into films.

Link http://www.indya.com/gallery/indyagallery.aspx?p=Stars-working-for-less-money&aid=1121
Shows based on real stories

Some real stories often leave a huge mark on us and it is not surprising when makers of different shows are influenced by them. Here are a few such shows that ahve been inspired by real stories.

Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii: A hit fiction show which tried to showcase the reality of society in various incidents, before wrapping up, it had a very infamous murder case of Aarushi, which left the entire nation stunned. In the show, the character called Tanu was also raped and shown killed like Aarushi.

Link http://www.indya.com/gallery/indyagallery.aspx?p=Shows-based-on-real-stories&aid=1127
Role play

Actor Saakshi Tanwar decides to move behind the camera, she is now Creative Consultant for Samman: Ek Adhikar

For all those who have been wondering what Saakshi Tanwar is up to these days, here is the dope. Saakshi, who had disappeared from the television scene after playing Parvati in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii, has moved ahead in her professional life. She has become the Creative Consultant of the show, Samman: Ek Adhikar.

Interestingly, the channel which broadcasts Samman…, has stopped most of its other weekly shows. Naturally, the TRPs of Samman Ek Adhikar are satisfying enough for the channel to have retained it as one of their few shows.

A source (name withheld on request) from the production house, says, "Saakshi's presence on the show is one of the main reasons why Samman… is doing well. Her degree of involvement in the show is very high. Saakshi is primarily responsible for the twists and turns in the storyline. She also visits the sets very often."

Associate Creative of Samman Ek Adhikar, Lavesh Ahairajani confirmed the news. He says, "As the head of the creative team on our show, Saakshi brings in a lot of energy. She is the answer to all our day-to-day problems. She has even come up with very catchy dialogue on the spur of the moment."

Despite repeated attempts, Saakshi Tanwar remained unavailable for comment.

Saakshi Tanwar & Anoop Soni on Crime Patrol

TV's famous bahu Parvati Agrawal aka Saakshi Tanwar is back on the small screen.

Saakshi will be seen on Crime Patrol, which she will be anchoring with Balika Vadhu's Anoop Soni.

We spoke to Saakshi and Anoop about the show and more.

Saakshi said the show this season would be "focusing more on crime against women, children and senior citizens," and that was an important part of her association with the show. "We are trying to create awareness about the issue and will have helplines."

"There won't be any dramatization of the cases," she added.

Anoop said that there would be a cultural sensitivity maintained on the show and "no dramatization of the crime" would happen. "Whatever the police has investigated will be revealed and our team will be with them and bring the real pictures," he added, "and there wont be any verdict of the case."

Asked what inspired them to take up the show, Saakshi said: "I think this will be a platform to again connect with my audience. So far they have seen me as a particular character and I am fortunate enough to have got a positive response for that. This is an opportunity to display the credibility I have gained by playing different characters."

Anoop said: "I am happy with one soap and I don't want to give all 30 days in the month to one soap. I said yes to this because it's an opportunity to be connected to reality."

About the show

Crime Patrol will tell the stories of real crime. The focus would be on crime against women, senior citizens and children and highlight the effect of the crime on the family of the victim.

Link http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2010/January/News_20100119_83
Posted: 13 years ago
Big Winners of SPA

Awards are the best way to acknowledge and value one's performance. STAR Parivaar Awards rewards the popular faces of television channels, who have earned a special place in the viewers' hearts for the past many years. They come and go but there are certain larger-than-life characters who remain etched in our memories forever. We list out a few who became regular winners at SPA (STAR Parivaar Awards).

Saakshi Tanwar: After Smriti, if anyone could win the viewers' hearts and become the most loved bahu of television, it was Saakshi Tanwar. The actress bagged the best bhabhi award in 2005 and again won in the same category in the year 2008 along with the best maa award.

Ali Asgar: Ali's portrayal of a doting devar as Kamal Aggrawal made him extremely popular amongst the married ladies across the globe. The one, who were preparing to tie the knot wished to have a brother-in-law like him. Asgar, who played devar to Saakshi Tanwar, bagged the best devar award in 2007 and 2008.