Sony's appalling lack of judgment

Posted: 14 years ago
I can't believe this. Baskar Bharti is ending? Sony went to such extremes to promote that show, usually at the expense of Ladies Special. It's obvious they were never serious about LS, so I'm not surprised they did such a  bad job promoting it and essentially let the story go to hell (though that is more the fault of the creative team), But what surprises me most is that after all the emphasis on BB, they are now letting it end! So they lost two shows when they could have only lost one. They should have given LS the attention it deserved. I had hope that after Sony revamped their brand and image, maybe they would improve, but it seems they are still determined to sabotage their own shows. It's no wonder no one has the patience for these serials. How can they create a loyal viewership this way?

Thats the reason rainabow , people stick to starplus and zee . The serials there r corny and downright stupid and backward with no originality whatsoever but i think at the end of the day , people , even intellectuals want to stick to some entertainment that runs . Ls was literally destroyed due to that unprofessional actress who played Pooja just as Waaris was taken off due to Yuvraj's insolence . One actress damaged a lovely , original serial .

All the serials on Zee run comfortably long . CB , Pavitra rishta , AApki Antara .......all have a good , long future . Sometimes they r incredibly boring . But i think people want security even in serials since they become such a daily part of the routine .

Currently i have dropped CB . and am watching Pavitra Rishta . It isnt bad although its ekta's and u know what happens to Ekta soaps . I like it coz it depicts middle class real life , with enough drama in it to keep us entertained . I hate the rich mansions with staircases and bejewelled women walking in the kitchens and mandirs with high heels and doing nothing but petty politics , with patterns that never change . Like Tara wore some strange sleeveless and ulta sari through out in SP while saloni had a diffrent get up . It is so unrealistic i simply cannot relate to it . Neither do i find those stupid romances so heart throbbing as some find them [ to the extent  of picking up fights on the forums over it ].............the romances r really , extremely stupid and i cant believe people get this hooked to them .

Am still in search of good serials and anything that comes close to them , I watch . I dont have colors channel so its my loss , ive heard they show good serials .  Even this saas bahu track in LS im watching .........but the magic has gone . The politics that the saas is doing is not diffrent than Zee soaps and the aunt who abets her looks distinctly foolish rather than evil . No one in real life behaves like this........the coldness , anger comes thru in other ways . Even Babli's track with her standing and beaming with tears brimming in her eyes in front of Wahe Guru is getting on my nerves . Biji is downright unrealistic......no one is that good .LS turned into a Zee tv kinda serial ..............i think script writers have changed . Try Pavitra rishta if u can ...........currently not bad , future ka pata nahi .

sony is a very flop channel...no wonder it is not on the Top,...
Sony needs to have some good, consistent shows. Where are the Jassi Jaisi Kohin Nahiin's, Kuch Iss Tarah's, and Ek Ladki Anjaani Si's that kept us hooked to this channel? I remember we were all so hooked to this channel in my family. We'd abruptly leave the poker table during the weekdays and come watch Jassi. We even got my dad and brother to watch the show during Jassi's makeover. Sony was the whole reason I joined I-F. I missed a few episodes of ELAS and landed here. Ladies Special could have done great, and could have easily go on for another year or two. Sony needs to give equal time, money, and promotion to each and every one of it's shows; instead of "re-vamping" the channel every 6 months. I'm looking for some good show on Sony -- Once Bhaskar Bharti and Ladies Special end, I doubt I'll watch a show on Sony again... Well except Bayttaab Dil Kee Tamanna... I just love that!
Edited by -Nikasha- - 14 years ago
Sony definitely doesnt inspire any confidence in me as a viewer. they have revamps few months but with every revamp the story is the same. they expect that a show would start off with ratings same as star, colors, zee and when it doesnt the show is doomed. shows with interesting promos usually turn out to be damp squibs. and even if they have a good thing they are blind to it and instead of nurturing it they proceed to kill it.
frankly there is nothing for viewers like me on hindi television. and the hindi channels couldnt care less. and now even i couldnt care less.

@KS: With an Ekta show be the story turns out to be the same 30 engagements, 10 marriages and 15 divorces. She cant think beyond that. Colors is no better than the rest...the so called social issue thingy with colors is not because they care for india's opressed millions but simply they are selling tactic to public bored of seeing the same old stuff. Now everyone is following the same. so they start of with a social message theme and withinn 6 months its business as usual. one example is uttran which started off well but today is another choti bahu. so dont expect anything big from colors...u really arent missing anything.
take NDTV Imagine..........they have started with Radha ki betiyaan...ek packet ummed, Jassu behen. Main teri parchayeen...now none of Imagine shows are good enough to watch..........Ndtv had promised to give something,.,,,,,,,,,,now following colors
Its really sad that 2 good shows that really started off good had to come to an end. Its already lost lots of viewers and will continue. I totally understand that you have to revamp when shows lose TRP. But here we had good shows and the reason the lost their TRP;s is because of the changed tracks. They lost focus of what the show was about and tried to build it in different ways and that does not work. The reason CB which in my opinion has really no storyline but still keeps us gripped or whether it be pavitra rishta where its the same old saga in just a different setting is still there is because they have still kept the main track the main focus and actors intact. People start having a set of people in mind with a show and if u remove here and there is fine but in LS they ended removing 3 of them and the fourth the bubbly character went for a toss with her illness.

In case of LS everybody were in love with the first 4 ladies. You were able to relate with them, laugh with them and want to fight their cause. But then the show lost one actor and her role was a big one. Ok if the contract was over and they could not get her then they should have not hired her or else they should have replaced. I know sometimes the replacement is not easy for viewers but I personally would have liked that track with her and vinny to continue. So even a new actor in that role would have helped and actually when they got the megha and  when they pairing her with vinny i was like oh ok the track. Now if they did not want to focus on the 4 ladies then instead of addin Sreejita they should have continued with Geeti or Trisha. By this time although they were not a part of the orginial we were getting to feel that they were part of the show.

Also the other part is Payal we got to know but the other tracks were lost no mention of that ending.I did read somewhere this is open ended so that they can bring Part 2 ,What the producers and channel forget to realize is seeing how they left the viewers hanging and with a sour taste they really have very little hope for Part 2 being a hit. I for one don;t think they can get the characters back and the same impact.
well said priya.I agree with yopu.
Originally posted by koolsadhu1000

Thats the reason rainabow , people stick to starplus and zee . The serials there r corny and downright stupid and backward with no originality whatsoever but i think at the end of the day , people , even intellectuals want to stick to some entertainment that runs . Ls was literally destroyed due to that unprofessional actress who played Pooja just as Waaris was taken off due to Yuvraj's insolence . One actress damaged a lovely , original serial .

All the serials on Zee run comfortably long . CB , Pavitra rishta , AApki Antara .......all have a good , long future . Sometimes they r incredibly boring . But i think people want security even in serials since they become such a daily part of the routine .

Currently i have dropped CB . and am watching Pavitra Rishta . It isnt bad although its ekta's and u know what happens to Ekta soaps . I like it coz it depicts middle class real life , with enough drama in it to keep us entertained . I hate the rich mansions with staircases and bejewelled women walking in the kitchens and mandirs with high heels and doing nothing but petty politics , with patterns that never change . Like Tara wore some strange sleeveless and ulta sari through out in SP while saloni had a diffrent get up . It is so unrealistic i simply cannot relate to it . Neither do i find those stupid romances so heart throbbing as some find them [ to the extent  of picking up fights on the forums over it ].............the romances r really , extremely stupid and i cant believe people get this hooked to them .

Am still in search of good serials and anything that comes close to them , I watch . I dont have colors channel so its my loss , ive heard they show good serials .  Even this saas bahu track in LS im watching .........but the magic has gone . The politics that the saas is doing is not diffrent than Zee soaps and the aunt who abets her looks distinctly foolish rather than evil . No one in real life behaves like this........the coldness , anger comes thru in other ways . Even Babli's track with her standing and beaming with tears brimming in her eyes in front of Wahe Guru is getting on my nerves . Biji is downright unrealistic......no one is that good .LS turned into a Zee tv kinda serial ..............i think script writers have changed . Try Pavitra rishta if u can ...........currently not bad , future ka pata nahi .

It's true that Payal's lack of commitment really did the serial in, but how stupid were they to not replace her? Or even if they had to start a new track, why not at least keep the original heart of the story in tact? Instead, it's turning into every other vapid and idiotic show on tv. I turned it on one day to find a large smear of sindoor on Shivangi's head and a dozen different types of gold pierced through her face and hanging from her neck while her MIL was insulting her. Not as melodramatic as some saas-bahu serials but certainly nothing like the original show. The realism is lost.

I can't take CB anymore. Dev and Radhika's unhealthy and absurd romance is hardly incentive for me to sit through all of the inconsistencies and backwardness. I despair for my mother country when the youth actually consider these types of relationships as ideal! If my mum is watching, I will occasionally tune in, but just as I did with GKLB, I have started to view it as a comedy. The idea of someone with 50% burns even surviving, let alone being CARRIED AROUND and taking a bath on her own 2 days later is hilarious! And the Amma + snakes track is too good. I'm smiling just thinking about it 😆

Aap Ki Antara is not a bad show. Some of what they show is clumsy and it gets boring at times. But I appreciate that they live in a regular home. I like that Vidya works and wears regular clothes sans heavy jewelry. She cooks normal food (sometimes Aditya even cookes...gasp). They struggle for money like most families and have a normal husband-wife relationship with ups and downs. They aren't constantly running to the mandir to complain to God about how they are being unfairly tested. I have had enough of these ridiculous romances where people fall in love instantaneously and completely lose their brains.

Back to Sony: I'm just shocked that after putting in so much promotion for BB, they would cancel it. It especially irks me that they often canceled LS for BB special episodes, and yet it still obviously didn't help. It just seems that BB had preferential treatment for no reason, and it didn't even lead to anything. The downfall of LS seems to be due to a combination of Payal quitting, the creative team making the foolish decision not to replace her, and Sony's general fickleness. Sony's stories are so unique and refreshing. It's such a shame that they do not capitalize on that as I'm sure many Indians are yearning for something new and different. It makes absolutely no sense to me, from either a business or a creative standpoint.

As for PR...I don't know if I can deal with Ekta. But if you are finding it tolerable, I suppose I should give it a try 😊
Guess what the latest news is...even Baytab maybe ending. So first they push LS for BB, next they take if off air for a week for Baytab. Now they are not happy with Baytab and BB either. They act as if their channel is more precious than even Star Plus or Colors.
Now the latest flavor for Sony is Yashraj. Whom will they go to if even YRF doesnt deliver? Steven Speildberg?