Frequent Posters

Kripa_neha thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
and his birthday is on 26th march 1982
calichick35 thumbnail
omg..i luv jay sean!!
he rocks!

hey Kripa_neha, r u still looking for info about jay? cuz i can tell u a lot! just let me know if u need sum
more! 😛
Kripa_neha thumbnail
yes,
if u have
thanks 😃
Kajal741 thumbnail
u can go to jayseanforever.com! it's a really good site. it has pics, interviews and facts about him.
Kripa_neha thumbnail
yes I know this site.
It is a great site
Thanks 😉
Kripa_neha thumbnail
Here I have something about him
Jay Sean Interview - A Bad Boy or Mummy's Boy?
'Yo bitch, squeeze me some OJ before I double deuce juice your ass,' says the rudeboy rapper. 'Get in the kitchen and make me some daal before I kick your bund back to the pind,' barks the typical Asian idiot.

Combine the two and you're left with the Asian rapper, the embodiment of all that we hate about testosterone-fuelled, nonsense-spouting ego warriors. Someone who can only warrant one reaction from the modern British Asian woman: 'oh shut up and go away.'You wouldn't say that to Jay Sean.

For one, he doesn't rap about guns, hos or gangsters. Nor has the suave 22-year-old soul saviour ever been photographed fashioning his fingers in those spooky gestures that other hip-hop artists seem to believe defines prowess. 'You don't have to pretend to be a gangster just because you're Black and you don't have to pretend to be Black to be a rapper,' he proclaims. 'People who succumb to those stereotypes are fools.

'I've had people ask me: "why are you singing English songs? Shouldn't you be singing bhangra?" Maybe they wouldn't ask that if I wore Sean John tracksuits and cocked my baseball cap sideways. But then why should I care about people who say I shouldn't do things just because I don't conform to some tired old clich?'

No prizes, then, for guessing whether he falls into the 'typical Asian' bracket or not. Born Kamaljit Sidhoo, he grew up responding to the nickname Jay, as you do, while Sean is derived from 'shaan', a term of endearment used by his folks. He won't pretend having an English sounding name hasn't helped his career ('you'll be surprised by just how much prejudice still goes on in the business'), but laughs off any suggestion he's in any way ashamed of his roots: 'I could change my name to Montgomery Cuthbert, but my mates will still see me as Jay and I'll still be this foreign bloke to White people.'

He's never been a member of a feared gang, never got involved in a fight. He sees no point in pretending. BY the same token, don't be so into who you are that you alienate others. 'You can take being proud of your roots too far; every mela I go to I see Muslims dissing Hindus, Hindus getting into a ruck with Sikhs – all fighting it out to prove they're the best. At the end of the day, in the White man's eyes, we're all Pakis. I don't think I'm better than anyone else and I definitely don't wish I was something else – I'm just proud of who I am.'

And for that, he thanks his mum and dad, who – he's happy to admit – he still lives with. Not exactly the sort of thing hip-hop artists say to pump up their street cred, but then there's not much about Jay Sean that seeks kudos from fake labels.

'Did I have a typical Asian upbringing? I don't know. I wouldn't say my folks aren't traditional Asian parents but then what defines a traditional Asian parent? People ask me if my parents were distraught when I ditched the idea of being a doctor to be a singer and I tell them, no. They didn't mind. They want to see me happy doing what I want to do. Is that really such an unusual thing to expect from a traditional Asian parent?'

The guidance from his family, combined with his own experiences growing up around women, has ruled out any chance of him adopting dissin' da bitches as his mantra, unlike so many of his compatriots who feel obliged to put the female of the species in their place – namely the backseat of their motor and the kitchen.

'Yeah, my mum makes the dinner,' he admits, 'but my dad stands there making her laugh while she does the cooking, then they do the washing up together. I've never been taught to see women as inferior beings. I don't have any sisters but I've got plenty of cousins and friends who are female – strong, independent, cool women – and I wouldn't want to see any of them spoken to or about in a disrespectful way. I find it ridiculous that a guy can think he'll be seen as something special if he puts a woman down. I don't dig that shit, man. I respect women.'

Better still, he loves women. His highly anticipated debut album Me Against Myself is brimming to the full with odes to the wonderment of womankind. And with two top-ten hits under his belt, a regular slot on Kiss FM and smouldering looks that make onlookers sizzle in his wake, there are plenty of women willing to take up the offer. So why still single, Jay?

'You mean why aren't I sleeping with anything that moves? For the same reason I don't let any of the attention I'm getting in the press or from fans get to my head. I'm young, I'm hungry and it seems like the world's at my feet right now – if I don't keep my ego in check, I'll be in danger of losing myself like I've seen so many people do. Whether they're rap or bhangra stars, hugely famous or just think they are – some people decide it's all about sex and drugs. Like everyone's going to think he's a hotshot just because he's taken some drugged-up chick to the back of his car. It's just so pathetic. Girls like being seen with famous guys, just like guys love being around female celebrities, but people who take advantage of that aren't cool, man. They're creeps.'

So young, so wise. Perhaps if he'd landed the million pound deal with Virgin Records out of the blue, he may well be doing the whoopee on cushions of cocaine with supermodels on his D in the back of his beemer, but he's been in this game for many, many years. I first spoke to him during my stint as the music editor of Eastern Eye newspaper many moons ago when he rang up asking us to plug his hip-hop band Compulsive Disorder, and then met him in person when he came to pick up a model he was dating at the end of a fashion shoot with another Asian women's magazine. In both instances, he pretty much went ignored. It's the sort of thing that's made him stronger.

'I've had plenty of knockbacks in my career. I've been trying to make a living out of music for the past ten years and I know the media is one big game. Sure, they're saying brilliant things about me right now, but I know they like building someone up just to knock them down. I've decided not to play the game. All I can be is straight up. I could sit here telling you I don't call girls bitches, but then my phone might ring and you'll overhear me telling some chick whatchoo talkin' 'bout bitch and you'll know I'm full of shit. Everything comes out in the end, so you may as well be real to yourself.

Needless to say, the single if not carefree Jay's ideal lady will be someone who can appreciate the real him but also not be daunted by the image, because like it or not, the real Jay Sean now comes in a glitzy package. The difficulty in reconciling the two is what ended the long relationship between Jay and the aforementioned model.

'We'd been going out since the start of our A-levels. It was deep. Family and all that got involved, so it was pretty serious. We grew up together as kids and, you know, it's hard to see someone like that walk out of your life. But when something this big happens, your life flips around 180 degrees…'He looks uncomfortable. While he can pour his heart out about his aches in verse, it's a different matter when trying to do the same to a stranger over a bowl of salad. 'See, my life's changing, there's no two ways about that, but I'm not. I'm still the same and she's still the same. It's just that everyone around us changed. The way they perceive me, the way they act towards me – I realise I'm living a parallel life, not because I'm suddenly better looking or because I got game, but because of what I'm doing right now. But it wasn't easy for her to separate the two existences I have to live right now. We'd be out having dinner with our mates and girls would come over and go all gushy around me. It was hard for her to handle.'

The sadness at the loss of his childhood sweetheart will pass. After all, there's nothing better to cheer up a heartbroken bloke than a date with Bollywood bombshell Bipasha Basu, exactly what he got treated to just the other day shooting for the video to his new single Stolen. 'Now that,' he beams, instantly perking up, 'was cool!'

'She's like a different class of woman. It was great because she saw me on a professional level, not like the usual desperate blokes she must get following her around, and yeah, we clicked. I took her round Covent Garden and you had to love it! One second she'd be stopped for an autograph, next it would be someone stopping me. I'm not much of a big headed person but yeah, sure, I thought to myself: back of a limo with Bipasha Basu. That's pretty cool, Jay…'

He's getting used to it, the fame thing. He treated himself to a BMW convertible after the success of Eyes On You because he felt he deserved it. Not one for false modesty, he's fully aware he's riding the crest of a new wave for the British Asian movement ('it's definitely the beginning of a movement, I wouldn't call it a revolution just yet, revolution takes more people, but I see that time coming') and is proud to be seen as a pioneering force pushing it forward. Why not? He has, after all, been working towards this pretty much all his life.

'The other day someone asked me how I felt being the first Asian r&b artist to break into the charts and I thought: really? I can't believe it hasn't happened before. I mean how long have Asian people been into r&b? Come forward people!'Before an army of contenders follow his lead in the battle to dominate the mainstream charts, he's in good company. Unlike other artists of his calibre who thrive on putting down the competition, he has nothing but love for his fellow chart crusaders: Rishi Rich, Juggy D, Raghav, Panjabi Hit Squad, Bobby Friction & Nihal…

'We're all in a good place right now,' he reflects. 'But I'm still in the process of establishing myself. Who knows where any of us will be in five years time? There was a time not so long ago that I didn't believe any of this was going to happen, I'm sure the other guys felt that way at some point or another. I thought I would become a doctor, settle down, get married and forget about all of this. It seems like just the other day I was doing a course in counselling psychology. There I was, talking to schizophrenics and rapists and feeling so depressed about it. So I'm not taking where I am lightly. Even though there's a long way to go, I'm loving every minute leading up to it.'

The last I saw Jay Sean, he was walking down the corridors of the Royal Albert Hall moments before going on stage and wowing the masses at the Mobo Awards, singing to himself. He tends to do that, burst out in song. During his guest appearance on CD:UK recently, he broke into a impromptu rap. During pauses in our interview, I catch him merrily humming to himself. This is a sign of madness. It could also be a behaviour associated with someone who can't help but show off in public. Or it could be the act of a man who is so passionate about music – he just can't help himself. I think you've read enough to figure out which of the above applies to Jay Sean.

• Me Against Myself by Jay Sean is out now on 2Point9/Relentless Records
Kripa_neha thumbnail
                           Jay Sean
Birthday: March 26, 1982
Place of Birth: Southall, London
Biography
He grew up in Hounslow, which is located near the world famous London Heathrow International Airport which is west of London. Jay Sean started his hobby of rapping at the age of 14, in a hip hop duo called "Compulsive Disorder". Jay Sean went to a private boys school and he was one of the brightest boys in the class.

Musical Career
"One Minute" was the first full track Jay Sean had written himself.It was passed on by a friend who passed it onto other friends and it eventually landed in the hands of British Asian Music Producer Rishi Rich.After hearing the demo Rishi Rich asked Jay Sean to come to the studio and got him to do a impromtude performance in front of his managers, 2Point9 management.
Jay Sean joined with the Music producer, Rishi Rich and Punjabi Singer, Juggy D during the summer of 2003 and started to work on material. The biggest year for Jay Sean's career had to be 2004, when he released his first album and had chart-topping hits. Jay Sean was introduced into the musical scene with hits like "Dance With You" (Tere Naal Nachna), "Eyes On You" and "Stolen". Jay Sean is hard at work on the follow up to his Rishi Rich produced debut album "Me Against Myself".

Awards
     UK Asian Music Awards (AMAs)

o     2005 Best Album ("Me Against Myself")

o     2005 Best Urban Act

o     2005 Best Video ("Stolen")

Channel U Best of British Awards

o     2005 Channel U Best Of British Award

Kripa_neha thumbnail
It's seems years ago that we brought to all of you out there the Asian RnB sensation known as Mr Jay Sean. Wait a second, that's because it was years ago. Since I first wrote an article about Jay, he has gone from strength to strength - overcoming barriers others felt were impossible. Of course, with all the fame and success, it took a long time to find time to conduct an interview with us at Desitunes4U. Still I managed to track Jay down for a quick chat recently. Here's what went down!

DJ Dev: Congratulations Jay on getting to where you have, how does it feel to finally be releasing an album mainstream?

Jay Sean: Thanks. It feels amazing; I am finally getting to do something, which I have dreamed of for years. Its one thing to make music for your own personal enjoyment but it's a complete buzz when you know that your music is going to be out there for people to judge and hopefully love.

DJ Dev: When you first met up with Rishi and the rest of the 2 Point 9 crew, did you ever think it would get as big as this?

Jay Sean: Nah, it's funny as we used to sit there and I used to never think this would happen. I can't explain what I'm feeling but I don't have any regrets. If it weren't for Rishi and the 2Point9 crew, I wouldn't be where I was now so it's all good. I'm just happy that all the things that Rishi and me used to talk about are finally happening.

Jay Sean

DJ Dev: One thing I gotta respect you for is how you've kept it real. I mean the fame can all go to someone's head when they're in your position, but you seem to have your feet firmly on the ground. I've even been informed that you requested your granddad made an appearance in your debut video.

Jay Sean: That's funny, as he wanted to be in the video too - he's very cool for his age. I'm so lucky, I have so many people around me that keep me grounded, people that have known me since day one and my family play a big part in that. I am sure they would all tell me if my head was getting too big!

DJ Dev: Now, on to the 'Stolen' video with the stunning Bipasha Basu. How did that all come about?

Jay Sean: She just fancied me so I thought it was only fair that she was in the video - nah, my record

company asked me who I would to be in my video and I thought it would be cool to have a Bollywood actress in my video, as I don't think a UK artist has done that before. So lucky me had a choice and let's face it, she is stunning. Anyway, my people phoned her people and she loved the record and said she would love to be in the video and that's really how it happened.

DJ Dev: What was the reasoning behind getting an Indian actress? There have even been rumours that you two are a couple. Care to comment?

Jay Sean: It was nice to bring Bollywood and the UK music industry together, even if it was just for my video. It's the meeting of different worlds and I like that. Bipasha Basu is amazing and who wouldn't want to be part of her world and hopefully, we will work together in some way or form in the future. And no comment on the couple story.

DJ Dev: You possess a rare talent in that you rap and sing on your album. Which do you enjoy doing more?

Jay Sean: That's a really hard question, as seriously I love both. When I'm rapping, it's a different emotion and in some sense, a different Jay Sean. When I'm singing, it's more emotional. That's why I called the album 'Me Against Myself'! I've grown up on hip-hop, but I love singing. Rapping is also where it all started when I was younger so it will always be important to me.

DJ Dev: Comparisons have been made with Eminem, especially after the whole cussing yourself as Em did in 8 Mile. What are your feelings on this comparison?

Jay Sean: Being compared to Eminem is a compliment obviously, however it's important that I am individual as an artist and I am not a brown Eminem or an Asian Craig David, I am just Jay Sean. Eminem has influenced me but that doesn't mean that I am trying to emulate him, it's only his success that I want to emulate.

DJ Dev: So, we've established that Kamaljit Jooti is your real name. How did Jay Sean come about?

Jay Sean: Well some of my mates call me Jay anyway and Shaan is what they used to call me at home so it's like a combination of the two.

DJ Dev: Are there any collaborations on the album?

Jay Sean: The album doesn't feature too many collaborations, as I wanted to show everyone what I am about. The rest of the 2point9 family (Rishi, Mentor, Juggy and Veronica) were a vital part of the album and together we wrote and produced the tracks. That is important to me, as my success is also 2poin9's success.

Me Against Myself

DJ Dev: Whom would you most like to collaborate with mainstream wise?

Jay Sean: There are too many to name. I would love to collaborate with Musiq Soulchild, Boyz II Men, Beyonce…the list is endless.

DJ Dev: I've heard that you didn't actually grow up listening to much bhangra music. After hanging around with Juggy and Rishi so long, do you find yourself listening to more of it now?

Jay Sean: It's so nice as we all have very varied tastes and listen to a bit of everything.

DJ Dev: People often say that to become a huge R'n'B star, you have to be an entertainer. As in you got to be able to dance, and pull out the moves that the likes of Usher and Ginuwine do. This has been stated as the reason Craig David never made it as big in the US as he should have done. Would you agree?

Jay Sean: Not really as there are amazing artists that cant do 10 back flips and sing at the same time, although I think it's all good when they do. I think that music is so powerful that it doesn't always need mad dance moves. At the moment, there are a lot of artists who seem to be able to do the whole lot like Usher, Beyonce and B2K, but that doesn't mean that that's the way it has to be. You never know, I might be doing 10 back flips and some moonwalk moves in my next video….

DJ Dev: Are there plans to give the album a big push stateside?

Jay Sean: Not at the moment, I think right now it is really important to concentrate on home. I am lucky to have fans all over the world but first and foremost, I have to try and make some sort of an impact over in the UK - it's really important to me. Eventually, of course I would love to be successful in America, that would be mad but one thing at a time.

Jay Sean performing

DJ Dev: What about back in India, because the market there must be just huge.

Jay Sean: Yeah well I have done some stuff for some Bollywood soundtracks and would like to do some more eventually. I would love for my music to be available all over the world.

DJ Dev: Do you feel right now, that the public see you as an artist in your own right, or just a novelty?

Jay Sean: I would hate to be seen as a novelty act, I don't want to be a one hit wonder, and it's the long term I'm looking at. I like to see myself as doing something different and opening doors for others also.

DJ Dev: How did your family react to you giving up medicine to become a pop star? Did it ever cross your mind they wouldn't be supportive?

Jay Sean: It never really crossed my mind that they wouldn't be supportive as they are just real down to earth people - I owe a lot to them and the way they have brought me up. They always wanted me to do what made me happy and I will always be grateful for their support. They have been there every step of the way and knew exactly what was happening.

DJ Dev: What would be your advice to others faced with that kind of situation?

Jay Sean: My advice would be never to give up on your dreams, I know it sounds corny but if you really want it, it will happen for you.

DJ Dev: Any final words for the hundreds of thousands of Desitunes4u readers?

Jay Sean: A massive thank you to all of you that have supported me from day one - it really means a lot. Thanks again, keep supporting and keep reading Desitunes4U! Peace.

That concludes the interview, firstly a big thanks for Jay for taking some time out to do the interview. Jay Sean's debut album, Me Against Myself is out now; click here to view the desitunes4u album review.

http://www.desitunes4u.com/Interview_Jay_Sean_Part_2.htm
Kripa_neha thumbnail
By Nooreen Kara

I remember hearing Jay Sean for the first time – the radio was on Choice FM and the song had a whole Bhangra "poppy" rhythm going on, fused together with some smooth, flirty vocals and an energised chorus. At the time, I had no idea who this 'Jay Sean' guy they were on about was. Of course, the song playing was the infectious summer hit 'Eyes On You' and Jay Sean was the mastermind behind 2004's whole redefinition of urban music.

West London's Jay Sean began rapping at the age of 11 in a group called Compulsive Disorder, before pursuing a career in medicine. He then attended and subsequently left Queen Mary's College, effectively leaving behind that potential occupation as a doctor to be one of the UK's biggest urban talents. "Things started kicking off with the music when record companies started taking an interest, and when I got the record deal from Virgin that was enough for me to give up medicine," he explained. "It's not often that you get the chance to live out your dream – there are so many people who want to get signed; I would be stupid to turn down a deal like that."

Of course, back then Jay Sean had no idea of how big he would blow up in terms of mainstream music here in Britain, and it was quite a risk to take. "Nothing's written in stone. I could get into medicine and fail my finals, so for me I thought, I wanna have a go at it and I wanna enjoy myself while I'm at it," he said. "This is what I've always loved doing and that's what I'm going to carry on doing regardless of what happens."

Jay Sean got his record deal in July 2003 and debuted with the album 'Me Against Myself' in November. "When 'Dance With You' came out, everyone then expected me to drop an album, but that only came out because it blew up on the underground and got so much heat." He continued, "I had to make sure that what I wanted to write about was not rushed. At the end of the day I could have easily put together 17 B-rate songs which were lying around, which is something I didn't want to do. I took my time and I think people appreciate that."

When listening to 'Me Against Myself', I found such a diverse variety on offer. There's R&B, Bollywood, soul, and then there's songs where he sings and ones where he raps. He genuinely said, "I love doing both [singing and rapping]; for me I can't choose between the two. There's times when I just freestyle in the car, I'll just be rapping away, and there's others when I'll be singing."

Let's face it, the R&B and hip-hop industry is mainly black-dominated, so you'd think Jay Sean feels the need to prove something. "To be honest with you, people look at you harder, they analyse you deeper, they criticise you further. You hang a note and they'll listen to it harder than they will if it's sung by a black guy or a white guy," told Jay. "I don't really see it as pressure."

"You're never going to appeal to everybody. There's always going to be someone who will say, 'What's he up to? He should be singing bhangra and dancing like a chicken'. I've stopped trying to force people to listen. This is what I love doing, this is what I've been doing my whole life and if you're with it, wicked, and if you're not, then I can't please you. That's the best I can do."

Just like Rishi Rich stresses on the album's introduction, Jay Sean agrees that UK R&B doesn't sell. "In all fairness, we have to understand and appreciate the fact that when it comes to UK R&B, it's nothing compared to America. They do that best; it's as simple as that," he admitted. "We do pop best, we've got Robbie Williams – no-one can kiss that. Our music industry here doesn't support urban music as much as America does… it's disappointing. Who is there? There's Lemar, there's Jamelia, there's me… Dizzee Rascal's doing really well, but what a lot of people don't understand is it's not about singles, it's about album sales. It's hard for urban artists to shift as many records as Girls Aloud here – it's an entirely different market. That comes down to the fact that people play safe in media, radio plays safe. They wanna go with a record that is guaranteed to appeal to the masses – and that's a pop record, out and out. The bands which work here are guitar-based bands and pop bands, and if you're urban you can represent on Channel U and you can represent on MTV Base, but are you gonna get MTV Hits and VH1?" He continued, "Of course I'm trying to go beyond that; I'm always aiming as high as I can."

After a largely cameo-less debut album, Jay Sean is proving to stake his ground in the urban scene – he and Rishi Rich recently worked with the hot American Chinese rapper Jin on a new track. "It's called 'This is What Happens When Chinese Meets Punjabi'. We're putting that out this year." On the topic of other collaborations, he revealed, "I'm doing a collaboration with Musiq Soulchild on 'One Minute' from my album. We sent that over to Musiq and he loved it so we're going to have a little duet. That track's got a bit of a neo-soul vibe."

Talking about how fans react to him, he said, "I was in Southall the other day and it kinda kicked off. I think it happens like that in some heavily Asian populated areas. It's mad, but it's nice because the majority [of the Asian community] are happy and proud of what's happening. It's just like I was when I saw Sanjeev Bhaskar and that lot on TV and there's a whole load of white people at school and uni chatting about it and you kinda think, 'Yeah man, that's wicked' – they're doing something, they're repping for us."

While fame affects many people for the worse, Jay Sean doesn't plan to follow suit. "Some people live for fame, and I don't do that. Some people get a little bit of fame and start wearing sunglasses in clubs and start giving it the large one and rolling around trying to flex with any girl that they can just because they've got a name – to me, that's a bit sad. That's not the way I go. At the end of the day people see your face on TV a bit more and hear your song on radio and that don't mean you're anything special. Some people go on like they are, and I think those people that [fame] affects, that's when they lose their real friends and perspective of who they are. Me, I've still got the best mates that I had before and it don't mean sh*t to me."

In Jay's short period of time in the spotlight, he talks about his career highlights to date. "There's been a lot of stuff. Top of the Pops – being on that three times… Being on it once was amazing enough and then to go on three times was mad – it's something all people dream of if they want to go into the music industry. Supporting Busta Rhymes was crazy. I love Busta and to support him was mad. Internationally things have really started to kick off. Doing the MTV Immie (Indian Music Excellence) Awards – that went out to 160 million people… If you think of it like that, that's an amazing opportunity. I've enjoyed everything that's happened to me while I've been in this and I think that's the most important thing to just appreciate where you're at and to enjoy it."

"I'd like to write a record and for it to go to all four corners of the Earth," says Jay about what he'd like to achieve. "Whatever field of work you're in, you want to excel to the highest point you can. If I had an album which was mega successful around the whole world that would be incredible and for people to understand this Asian kid doing R&B music wasn't just a little fad and really respected it. To go out knowing that I contributed to some cause, to help Asians further excelling in music or whatever it may be, for me that's something I'd like to look back at and think I had a part to play in."

As expected, 2005 is going to be a busy year for Jay Sean. "I'm writing on my second album and doing promotional tours around Asia. I'm going to be releasing the album around Europe early next yea,r and there's going to be another single off 'Me Against Myself' coming out in March. There's going to be a UK tour in about April, and there's a Rishi Rich Project DVD called 'Aj Kal' which is out in stores now."

'Me Against Myself' is out now in all good record stores.
Visit the official website at www.jaysean.com.

http://www.thesituation.co.uk/ukartists/05/jay_sean/jay_sean .html

I have something about him so I want to post it
Kripa_neha thumbnail
http://www.jayseanforever.com/interviews/14-eveningwithrrp.h tm

here is another adress where u can see his interview