Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sam. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 14 years ago
I am a brhamin too a south indian one.I totally identify with what they are showing on the show.If i decide to marry outside my caste all my relatives especially the eldely one's will probably have a heartattack😆
AbhishekChaurey thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
http://www.bhaskar.com/2010/01/02/100102174737_father_in_law_killed.html

check out this link
if this happens after  marrying in same cast
what will happen with inter cast marriage 
preearies7 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

hiii ppinkii..

Nothing much...I guess...
Its just a upper caste(Bhrahmin) and a lower caste(Kayastha)

AnjanaYYZ thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
My parents are brahmin (guess that means i am one too🤔) but, for the most part its never been an issue for me or my parents whether someone else was or was not brahmin.  We eat eggs, chicken, fish, etc.   On the dating front, my parents would be happy if I found a dude wit a pulse🤣

But, I know it is a MEGA issue for some people even today.  Even in my own family I have two cousins who have not spoken with their parents for almost 20 years becoz they married girls from a lower caste. Full fledge joint family events r rather awkward as my uncle n aunt don't talk to their sons, dils, and granddaughters...

Personally, it does not impact me a lot becoz i rarely visit India but, its always an elephant in the room when we do visit.  I don't like my cousins' wives... not becoz of their caste but,  becoz one is plain mean & annoying😡.  The other one is sweet but, we have absolutely nothing n common
Edited by AnjanaToronto - 14 years ago
aarps14 thumbnail
I am a Kayasth..... and though coming from a small city like jamshedpur, I dont think I have seen such vehement opposition to love marraiges ..... having said that 5 yrs ago when I got married, my parents and grandparents made sure I get married in the same caste and to the guy they chose for me....... but things have changed thereafter....... my cousin married a bengali 👍🏼 and now my family is now OK if my sis/other cousins marries someone of their choice which I feel is a better approach too 😊........  ppl all around are now marrying into other castes/regions ....... I know a close family friend who got married in Dec where the story was similar ...... Brahman ka ladka... kayasth ki ladki 👏..... so waiting for a wonderful, lovey-dovey story between Abeer & Leher
indyarocks thumbnail
i am a brahmin frm kanpur(u.p)....ya caste system prevails..but not this harsh and strict:D...people take time for consenting to intercaste marriages but they finally do..and its their love for their offsprings which finally takes over...also its not the caste system which comes in way of their day to day interactions..infact many of my family friends belong to lower castes....love all castes:)
Effervescent_R thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
M a Mathur! & seen myself people practicing all this even today! There are many people I know who believe a Mathur should marry another Mathur! In other words no inter-caste marriage allowed!

mahmansma thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I think the show needs to show that in any set, the one from the higher caste thinks he is much more superior to the other person. This is irrespective of whether they are brahmin or kayasth or anything...for instance, in this pair (madhav-rashmi), madhav's family thinks they are superior coz they are the 'brahmin's here. BUT if madhav had found another brahmin girl of a lower subcaste (YES!! Within Brahmins, there r subcastes too, and graded appropriately, LOL!), his family would have been showing their superiority still...UNLESS that brahmin girl came from the higher sub caste, in which case their tongues would have been firmly in check.

Now, Rashmi's parents are also going along not becase they are "oh, so great", but coz Madhav is a upper caste or same caste person.

If Rashmi had chosen someone from the lowest castes in the indian sub-continent...say Shudra, worker class range, trust me, Mr and Mrs would not be so sweet. They would have either stopped Rashmi or thrown similar huge tantrums.

The same divides exist in Christians, Muslims (shia, sunni, and their various sub divides).

The ONLY way to change this is to understand that God exists in each and every LIVING things's atma. The world will be a less violent and peaceful place.

Btw: I am a very highly educated, well off brahmin girl married to a brahmin boy of an upper subcaste but whose family is not so financially well off. It took years for me to just get my mother in law to drink a glass of water in my home. She felt she should not touch the food/ water here, since i was of a lower sub caste. LOL. But that was 10 yrs ago...today we are all a big happy family, but it took years of patience and zipping my mouth against all atrocities committed on me and my parents (ours was a love marriage too and we were students in the US, and lived there after marriage too...yet distance made NO difference thanks to the phone and internet). Today, my inlaws are changed but the ugly head does rear up once in a while.

I feel we need to realize that blood is of one color only - Red. Pl do remember this in real life and tell your kids that. Hopefully a drop a time, we (here in this forum) can create a small change in our communities and for our future gen.
dream thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
guys can i ask something?...cnt brahmin ppl marry other ppl?...m juz curious coz one of my frnd's bf is brahmin n my frnd isnt...so juz wanted to knw...
PureBliss thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I also belong to Kanpur like you and I've many relatives there in Lucknow. So basically its like a second (or third LOL) home for me. I really know well about all these caste issues over there though I have never faced any such 😆.  Such caste distinctions still exist in India and I have seen it.  I'm from a caste close to Kayastha (its not exactly that only).   Such things STILL exist. I have myself seen it.