Celebrity Fan Clubs

Fresh Faces Month - Actors in the Spotlight!!!

-dramaholic- thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
FRESH FACES MONTH!

Want to Know a little more about the people on the current banner?

Were you wondering, "Who are these people?"

Well, all questions will be answered in this very post!

WELCOME TO ACTORS IN THE SPOTLIGHT
JAN 2010

Jacqueline Fernandes

Biography

Jacqueline Fernandez is a former Miss Sri Lanka and a Bollywood actress who hails from the island nation of Sri Lanka. She was born on 2nd June, 1985. She has three siblings, two brothers and an older sister.She is the cousine of Frederica Jansz She is half Malaysian and half Sri-Lankan. In Bahrain where she had most of her schooling, where she was motivated to do well and excelled in events such as Athletics, Drama and many other fields, she especially enjoyed Track and Field.

Having a passion for cultures and languages she also joined the Berlitz school of languages, where she learned to speak Spanish and improve her French and Arabic, she also picked up Horse Riding.

According to her: "Being independent and accomplished was imperative to me and I always demanded the best of myself. Perfectionism is my strongest asset."

After her schooling in Bahrain

Having the ambition to do something for her country, she competed in Miss Universe 2006. She has worked as an anchorwoman on one of Sri Lanka's business programs called "Lanka Business Report". She also writes a weekly column for a national newspaper, the "Daily mirror". Jackie also has a non-profit organisation in Sri Lanka focusing on empowering the underprivileged. She has come in a VIP ad with Shahid Kapoor.

Acting

She has started her acting debut from the Hindi movie Aladin (2009 film) in 2009 directed by Sujoy Gosh along with well known Indian stars like Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Dutt, and Ritesh Deshmukh. She plays the character of Jasmine in the movie, the new girl in college who has come from America.

QUESTIONS:
    Have you seen Aladin?
    Did you like Jacqueline Fernandes's acting in the movie?
  1. Do you think she will become a sucess in Bollywood?

Mahie Gill

Biography

Mahi Gill (Rimpi Gill) was born on 27th November 1975 in Chandigarh.She has completed her Masters in theater from Panjab University Chandigarh in 1998. Mahi got her first break with the Punjabi film Havaayen and has done a couple of Punjabi films along with theatre. She is thankful to her professor Mohan Maharshi and actor Dibyendu Bhattacharya, those who have guided her and put their faith in her.

Anurag saw her first in a party and instantly finalized her to play the character of Paro in movie Dev D.

Mahi has UTV's Aage se right opposite Shreyas Talpade and Paan Singh Tomar  with Irrfan Khan  in her kitty.

it is reported that Mahi Gill has already undergone a divorce. She was reported saying that she had a strenouus previous relationship. Before being acclaimed for her role in Dev D, she was a struggling actress in Mumbai for the past three years. She considers her mother as her greatest source of strength.

Acting

Mahi Gill is an Indian actress who played lead Jameer actress in Anurag Kashyap's critically acclaimed Hindi film Dev D. She played the character of Paro in Dev D, which is a modern take on Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay's Bengali novella Devdas. She started her career in Punjabi Films before making a debut in Bollywood. 

1. Hawayein (2003) (Punjabi)
  2. Khushi Mil Gayee
Sirf Panch din
Pal Pal dil ke sath
Khoya Khoya Chand (2007) .... Starlet at Prem Kumar's house
Mitti Wajaan Maardi (2007) (Punjabi)
Chakk De Phatte (2008) .... Simran (Punjabi)
Dev D (2009) .... Paro
Gulaal (2009) .... Madhuri
Aage se right (2009)
  • Paan Singh Tomar (2009)
  •  
    QUESTIONS:
      Even though Mahi Gill has made so many movies, why is she still not ranked as highly as other actresses in bollywood?
      Did you recognize her from somewhere before or was she a complete new commer for you?
    1. Do you think she will become a sucess in Bollywood?

Kalki Koechlin

Biography

Kalki was born to French parents in a small village in Pondicherry. Her parents had come to India as hippies 38 years ago and settled there after they fell in love with the country. Her parents are devotees of Sri Aurobindo.

Kalki was studying in Ooty when her parents insisted she attend university. Kalki studied drama and theatre in Goldsmiths, University of London, where she also worked with a theatre company called Theatre of Relativity for two years. She performed in various plays like David Hare's The Blue Room, Marivaux's The Dispute and a devised play The Rise of the Wild Hunt in her two year stint with the theatre group.

Acting

Kalki later decided to move to Mumbai to try her luck in Indian Cinema. She was doing modeling assignments for Television commercials before being shortlisted for the role of Chandramukhi (Chanda) in Dev.D. Kalki can speak Tamil, English and French while she had to learn Hindi to prepare for her role in Dev.D. About her role Kalki said "My character is much younger and there's much more to it than just being a prostitute. When she is not entertaining customers, she dresses up like any other girl in jeans and stuff and leads a normal life. My role in the film has a controversial streak to it, but I still don't know what would have been an ideal role to debut with. I've got the chance to work with a good director in Dev D and I feel I'm lucky enough."

Kalki was apprehensive about how people will judge her after seeing her in the role.

After the movie released, her portrayal of the modern Chandramukhi, who goes from an innocent schoolgirl (Leni) to a vivacious prostitute (Chanda) was critically acclaimed saying "Kalki shows sparks in the scenes"Hindustan Times said, "Enter Chanda, the multilingual call girl who can seduce in Hindi, Tamil, English and French. With her bee-stung lips, unusual face and refreshing lack of acting guile, Kalki Koechlin imbues the part with a touching fragility."

QUESTIONS:
      Do you think Bollywood Need Kalki Koechlin?
      Did you recognize her from somewhere before or was she a complete new commer for you?
    1. According to you, has she become an Icon for young girls?

Shruti Haasan

Biography

Shruti Haasan (born 28 January 1986) is an Indian singer turned actress.

Shruti Rajalakshmi Haasan was born to actors Kamal Haasan and Sarika on 28 January 1986 in Chennai, India. She also has a younger sister named Akshara, who represents India nationally for Ballroom Latin dancing.

Haasan studied at Abacus in Chennai, until 10th grade, when she moved to Mumbai to study psychology at St Andrew's College.

However, Haasan shifted her focus to cinema and music, and eventually travelled to the USA to continue to learn music at the Musicians Institute in California, before returning to Chennai.

Acting

After pursuing a career in singing, Shruti Haasan branched out a career into modelling. She started by starring appearing in the Frappe! magazine version of September 2007, since then she has gone on to appear in Verve.

In 2000, Haasan made her cinematic debut in the Tamil and Hindi bilingual film, Hey Ram, directed by her father. She made a cameo appearance as the daughter of Vallabhai Patel in the biopic of Mahatma Gandhi.

After rejecting prominent film offers, most notably the lead role in Venkat Prabhu's Saroja, reports suggested in late 2007 that Haasan was set to make her full debut as a heroine in 2008 with a movie opposite Madhavan directed by Nishikanth Kamath. Despite Madhavan admitting that the news "was premature",she signed up to the film, which was titled, Endrendrum Punnagai,only to be stalled prior to production.Eventually Haasan signed up to Soham Shah's Luck opposite Imran Khan, a Bollywood film. However, despite the film gathering much publicity prior to release, it became a critical and commercial flop.

QUESTIONS:
      Do you look up to Shruti?
      Did you like her acting in "Luck"?
    1. Why have we not heard from her anymore?

Chandan Roy Sanyal

About

Date of Birth: 30 January

Sun Sign: Aquarius

Interests: I like to compose music, write poetry and I am a connoisseur of alcohol. Stella Artois, a Belgian beer is my favourite poison.

Favourite Actor: Sanjeev Kumar, Leonardo DiCaprio and Philip Seymour Hoffman. I think Leo is an underrated actor who has done some brilliant work in big films.

Favourite Actress: Kate Winslet, Monica Bellucci, Urmila Matondkar and Drew Barrymore. I loved the highway scene in Revolutionary Road where Kate starts fighting with Leo.

Favourite Movies: Rangeela, Omkara, The Science of Sleep and other Michel Gondry movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Movie role you would like to reprise: Aamir Khan in Rangeela

If not an actor, you would be: I would be a musician or a rockstar. I love the music by bands like Radiohead, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Did you attend acting classes: I think acting classes are a waste of time and utter b******t because no one can teach anyone how to act. You cannot learn acting, which is a craft that takes years to perfect.

Preconceived notion of the film industry: I didn't have any notions as Kaminey is my first film. I am a complete outsider and couldn't see through anything. I don't even have any notions now because after working with UTV and Vishal Bhardwaj, everything looks very nice and safe.

When did the acting bug bite: I was 19 when I didn't get admission in IIT. That made me feel upset so I joined a theatre workshop by Habib Tanveer and haven't looked back since.

Acting

Chandan Roy Sanyal played the role of Gangster Milkhal in the Movie Kaminey Staring Priyanka Chopra & Shahid Kapoor.

QUESTIONS:

Was he over shadowed by Shahid-Priyanka?
    1. By not bagging a Lead Role, has he lost his chances of doing so in the future?
    2. Will he be a sucess in Bollywood?

LOTS OF LOVE,
    Edited by DramaholicVibes - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ROBlicious. thumbnail
    Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
    WOOw Thankyou was wondering who they were Thanks
    Thanks DB  =)
    I knew Jecqueline and Shruti!
    Nice to know about the rest of them too!

x x
    aish_punk thumbnail
    thanks for the post

i did'nt know about Vikram..n could'nt remember Mahie's name..

out of all of them, Shruti is my fav!

Do you look up to Shruti? yeah
      Did you like her acting in "Luck"? it was good for a newcomer!
    1. Why have we not heard from her anymore? she's probably busy with her singing career..hope we see her in another flick soon!