Fan Fictions

General Complaints Thread... - Page 85

BlueMystique thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 11 years ago
This content was originally posted by: Krani

This was the member that plagiarised my story:

Also there should be some sort of rule that members without having posted anything for a certain duration of time will be removed.

Seriously I think it's high time Vijay takes this thing a bit more seriously. 
He made the NOCOPY thing, and then realised that it only extended to as far as the first page and that things could still be copied through the right click button - yet he hasn't done anything about it!
There are codes etc which can stop a person from even right-clicking and copying stuff - why not do such things?

Sorry to take out my frustration at you, Jot, but honestly this is stretching it a bit too far now. 
Plagiarising my story, posting it on another website, and then allowing that member to continue to read our stories leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. 

Mature content and blog links aren't hurting anyone - this stuff actually does.
But it's the content and blog links which have such strict rules implemented on them, and hardly anything on plagiarism. IF sure has their priorities sorted, don't they?

It is no use, you guys. Writers are clearly at the bottom of the food chain on IF. Nothing has been done about members who blatantly plagiarize elsewhere, and god forbid someone fights the member on this platform, they end up the ones being warned.

The last time we raised the topic of MID's, the only thing we asked of Vijay is for him to be transparent about the progress, but so far he hasn't been forthcoming about anything. And it shouldn't be too hard to implement the NOCOPY on all the pages of a post, but that's not being done either.

And when writers want to shift their work to a blog so they can keep better watch over their readers, IF squashes that too. Which I frankly do not get, when you cannot do anything to help the writers feel safe, at least don't be a hindrance when they are trying to protect their own work!

Like I said, no matter whose fault it is, writers are the ones who end up getting screwed on here. Is it fair? Hell no. Will something be done about it? Probably not.

Edited by BlueMystique - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

dersha91 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
hie i have started to write a fanfiction by posting under a new topic.but i am not able to send the link for my fanfiction throug pm.How am i supposed to pm the link of my ff
yaqeen. thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: lysander22

hie i have started to write a fanfiction by posting under a new topic.but i am not able to send the link for my fanfiction throug pm.How am i supposed to pm the link of my ff

As a Newbie you CAN'T add links anywhere on IF. 
dersha91 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
okk.but i am not able to find the topic of my fanfiction in the list of fanfictions.
yaqeen. thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: lysander22

okk.but i am not able to find the topic of my fanfiction in the list of fanfictions.

Click on "My Posts" at the top of the page and u'll see all posts created by u! ðŸ˜Š
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Nymra, from the links you've given me, i see that they were in the IPK forum? Have any of you created a post for this at the Suggestions & Comments forum? Because if there's a change that needs to be made, that's one forum where I can assure you that the DT will pay some attention in. As for a meeting, i can see what I can do for you guys but first maybe try creating a post on this at the S/C forum and let me know how that goes. =)

Krani, unfortunately, there are only limited actions that the IF DT can take when it comes to situations such as yours. Since the work was plagiarized elsewhere, we have no authority to reprimand the member in a strict manner. Strict actions have been placed on plagiarism.. but they're as strict as the DT can make them. They also can only be used when the issue crops up at this site not at other sites. What I can do for you at the moment is drop the member a warning PM and hope that scares them enough for the time being. =/ I'm so sorry that I'm unable to help you any further in this matter.

Sandy1: No you may not. No one will be given special treatment no matter what. Why are you having trouble updating? Maybe I can help.

@Everyone about the plagiarism issue:

Like I've said to Nymra, what I can suggest to you guys for the time being is to create a thread at the Suggestions & Comments forum asking for a QUOTE feature that extends to all pages of a thread and also the permanent banning of the IP of the members that don't comment or copy the work of members from here to other sites. Because honestly, other than warning the member to not do the same in the future.. the DT's hands are tied. =/ And trust me when I say that I know where you all are coming from. I myself was a victim.. I've had to remove my own work due to members plagiarizing it but there's only so much that can be done. So, one of you go ahead and create a thread at the S/C forum.. Let me know how that goes and if need be, I'll try and figure out something else for you guys. =/
reflorated thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Thing about plagiarism is that it has very "mixed" meaning, due to sketchy laws and what nots. Unlike copyright infringement, which has strict laws and guidelines, plagiarism does not have adequate coverage. I think that is the reason why the forum isn't able to do much. If for instance, and this is only a suggestion, IF could seek some sort of LEGAL aid which states that anybody copying from India-Forums will be subject to fine... then this could be curbed.

Only a suggestion, lets see how it goes. :)
BlueMystique thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: V323

Thing about plagiarism is that it has very "mixed" meaning, due to sketchy laws and what nots. Unlike copyright infringement, which has strict laws and guidelines, plagiarism does not have adequate coverage. I think that is the reason why the forum isn't able to do much. If for instance, and this is only a suggestion, IF could seek some sort of LEGAL aid which states that anybody copying from India-Forums will be subject to fine... then this could be curbed.

Only a suggestion, lets see how it goes. :)

The actual definition of Copyright states that any intellectual property, within some standards of originality, is protected under the copyright laws. So plagiarism might be a wrong term for what the members are doing, it might be more accurate to say that it's a copyright infringement. A valid copyright needs to be stated though, like most of us do on blogs.
Edited by BlueMystique - 11 years ago
reflorated thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by: BlueMystique

The actual definition of Copyright states that any intellectual property, within some standards of originality, is protected under the copyright laws. So plagiarism might be a wrong term for what the members are doing, it might be more accurate to say that it's a copyright infringement. A valid copyright needs to be stated though, like most of us do on blogs.

But copyright laws can only work for stuff which is copyrighted. Work posted on IF is not copyrighted, and thus plagiarism.

But then cabbage bolo ya bandh-gobi, baat toh vahi hui. Thing is its wrong, and people don't realise what idiots they are
BlueMystique thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: V323

But copyright laws can only work for stuff which is copyrighted. Work posted on IF is not copyrighted, and thus plagiarism.

But then cabbage bolo ya bandh-gobi, baat toh vahi hui. Thing is its wrong, and people don't realise what idiots they are

LOL! Agreed on the idiots bits.

But yeah, that is what I was saying in the last line, maybe IF could provide some way for us to copyright out work? I mean, even on blogs, we post a copyright notice, and get it registered with some website, right? Maybe IF could allow us to do that same?

This is such a stupid situation, some lazy asses can't write and decide to copy, and we are left to find a defend our right to protect something we rightfully own. Messed up! -.-