Debate Mansion

success of a song - Page 2

Posted: 14 years ago
This content was originally posted by: angie.4u

what determines the success of a song? music, lyrics, singer,actors, visuals ...???

Amir Khan is quoted to have said that it is the actor on whom the success of a song depends. many lyricists like javed akhtar, kailash kher and many others are opposed to this & are angry at his statement . Some lyricists are also demanding royalty as they feel that many famous lyricist have died in penury inspite of their songs bein chartbusters. What is your view  about this issue.

Aamir Khan is waffling here.  Personally for me, melody comes first, if you have a crap melody, then even the best of singers cannot make it sound good.  Second comes the musical arrangement + singer, a good melody equally needs a good musical accompaniment and a singer whose vocals will suit the song.  Lyrics comes last for me, when I listen to a piece of music for the first time, I don't really pay attention to the lyrics.

Some songs are based on the visuals, so they may suck at first hearing, but probably suits the visual quite well.

And Emraan Hashmi gets the best of songs. πŸ˜†

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

U-No-Poo thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I don't agree with Aamir. His correct statement was 'Lyrics have got nothing to do with the success of a song', which is equivalent to undermining the importance of lyrics IMO. Sometimes while listening to songs, certain lyrics move you, they have the power to reach you. At times like these, I really don't think whether the song was picturized on Ash or Rani or any other xyz actor.

*Edit: I agree about Emraan Hashmi getting the best songs. All his films have amazing music, latest one being Tum Mile. I'm in love with 'Tu Hi Haqeeqat' πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by -Neetz- - 14 years ago
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
So has Emraan Hasmi made the song successful or the songs made Emraan popular ..πŸ€”
debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
1.Good or entertaining lyrics

2. Good tune.
This content was originally posted by: angie.4u

So has Emraan Hasmi made the song successful or the songs made Emraan popular ..πŸ€”

NeitherπŸ˜†  he flopped while the songs cds became a hitπŸ˜†
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by: -Neetz-

I don't agree with Aamir. His correct statement was 'Lyrics have got nothing to do with the success of a song', which is equivalent to undermining the importance of lyrics IMO. Sometimes while listening to songs, certain lyrics move you, they have the power to reach you. At times like these, I really don't think whether the song was picturized on Ash or Rani or any other xyz actor.

*Edit: I agree about Emraan Hashmi getting the best songs. All his films have amazing music, latest one being Tum Mile. I'm in love with 'Tu Hi Haqeeqat' πŸ˜ƒ

I think Amir is correct to a certain extent.......while lyrics are the most important in gazals...they are not so important in the regular Bollywood songs.........the tune is the most important.......after the Jai ho song became popular people from so many countries enjoyed it despite not knowing hindi.....AR's music worked wonders ...not the lyrics..........similarly in gazals or shero-shayari...lyrics are more important...........humare Bollywood ke chor music director music churate hain songs ke unke lyrics nahi........kyoki agar music achha hai to lyrics kuchh bhi daal kar song hit ho jaata hai.......a big example is our MD Pritam........most of his tunes have been lifted from songs from other languages....
I remember in one of Javed Akhtar's interview he said that in the old times the lyrics were written first and then music was given accordingly but now its just the reverse.......pehle kahin se tune churao....fir usper lyrics fit karo.....πŸ˜†..
I am so thankful that we have someone like AR Rehman.....he is the best........πŸ‘
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

It is personal it a way.

There are songs played only with instruments and still lovely.
There are some songs that lyrics play an important role.
For light-hearted songs the lyrics may not be important.

But personally I love good lyrics no matter how simply it is put.

Dil Ibadat Kar Raha Hai
My heart saying a prayer

Dhadkane Meri Sun
Listen to my heartbeats

Tujhko Main Kar Loon Hasil Lagi Hai Yahi Dhun
It keeps chanting I will get you

Zindgi Ki Shakh Se Loon Kuchh Hasin Pal Mein Chun
I will choose few beautiful branches from the tree of life

Tujhko Main Kar Loo Hasil Lagi Hai Yahi Dhun
I will get you

Jo Bhi Jitne Pal Jeeyu
Every moment I live

Unhe Tere Sang Jeeyu
I will live with you

Jo Bhi Kal Ho Ab Mera
Whatever tomorrows I have left with

Use Tere Sang Jeeyu
I will live them with
any 3rd class song like barso re megha can be played again and again on tv and radio and become popular.. i usually hate the songs of each smackdown vs raw game, but after playing for a while i get used to the music and like it a lot.
Midnight_Shade thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: gengarjetty2

any 3rd class song like barso re megha can be played again and again on tv and radio and become popular.. i usually hate the songs of each smackdown vs raw game, but after playing for a while i get used to the music and like it a lot.

Success in general can be attained by songs with good combination of voice, composition and lyrics. Not to speak of commercialization.

@bolded: Oh God, how I hate that song. Even though Ash is my fav, I don't like her in that video....I think that song sucks like anything and I feel like changing my channel when it plays on the demon box.

chal_phek_mat thumbnail
Hmmm, balance seems to be shifted against Aamir here

Lets see
more than half the songs these days have
a.Either horrible lyrics(dhan te dan..............., remember?)
b.OR tunes that have been lifted

But if it is a hot actor/actress even "mai to raste se jaa raha tha" will become famous

so yes the actor should get equal or most credit

If this was the age of Sahir, then the lyricists or the singer or the Music director had most of the credit. Now times have changed

But Javed Akhtar and his batchmates are not even a 1% of Sahir's capabilities