Sasural Genda Phool

Talking point: Ragini Khanna

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Ragini plays 'Bahu with a twist'

Updated on Sunday, February 28, 2010, 18:20 IST

New Delhi: After her man-turned-woman role in 'Bhaskar Bharti', TV star Ragini Khanna is all set for an onscreen makeover by playing a 'Bahu with a twist' in her new serial, 'Sasural Genda Phool'.

Ragini, who is the niece of Bollywood star Govinda, grabbed eye balls by playing one-of-a-kind role of a man stuck in a woman's body in 'Bhaskar Bharti' and the actress is proud
to build a career on small screen without using her uncle's name.

"I was among 1000 girls to audition for my first serial 'Radha Ki Betiyan', so there has been struggle. He (Govinda) is my uncle and to have such a gifted actor in my family is an advantage as he advices me how to enhance my talent. But otherwise my middle class upbringing has taught me stand on my own feet with no influence," Ragini told reporters in an interview.

But the 22-year-old actress is sure to follow Govinda's footsteps as she is set to make her debut on the big screen soon.

"The film is coming up in November and it is with a major production house. I am playing the lead character who is a very strong-willed girl of today," Ragini said.

But before getting her ticket to Bollywood stardom, Ragini is enjoying her career on the small screen. She is set to play a 'Bahu with a twist' in her new serial 'Sasural Genda
Phool' which is set to air on Star plus from March 1.

"'Bhaskar Bharti' was different kind of venture. People recognise me thanks to that role. Kids mob me every time I am out," Ragini said.

"But after 'Bhaskar' I was sure to be offered typical 'Bahu' roles because people are not ready to experiment in TV. But then came 'Sasural...' which does see me playing a 'Bahu'
but with a twist," she added.

'Sasural Genga Phool', is a light-hearted story of Suhana, a pampered daughter of an affluent single father, who agrees to marry Ishaan (Jai Soni) at her father's behest.

But to her surprise, she finds herself caught up in a traditional and conservative family as opposed to her own liberal, upper-class upbringing.

"Suhana is this super girlie character who has been pampered and spoiled by her dad. So when she is asked to get into an arranged marriage her histrionics make up for the
'bahu with a twist'," Ragini added.

Ragini may be enjoying her roles on TV but when asked will she ditch her blooming career for films, she said, "I don't understand the concept of just being in one territory.
For me it is about enriching myself with every role. And it is a challenge to handle both TV and films. When superstars from the film industry can do it why can't I?"

Apart from Ragini, 'Sasural Genda Phool' also sees a host of noted TV artists like Shruti Ulfat, Mahesh, Supriya Pilgaonkar and Sooraj Thapar.

PTI

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ghazal_naz thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
she is right
people know her as bharti because that was THE ROLE of her creear
and yah she did goog not to play a tipicl bahu role because may be people wont eccept that yet
love her in BB and now she is good in SGP as well

thanks a lot for this tanu
love u