Posted: 14 years ago

Can anyone explain me as why are they referring sasural as "genda phool" and not any other phool? Is there any meaning behind these words or some sort of message?πŸ˜•

**Edited

1) One way to describe is here -the poet shri Gangaram used it as in teasing manner to tell his daughter (girl's engaged for marriage) that the in law's home i.e sasural its only seems beautiful from outside just like 'Marigold flower' (i.e genda) but in real it have no frangrance as one thought so beautiful flower must have ,similary he says the 'Sasural' is not actually so pleasing as it seems .so it is also sometimes used as a metaphor for people that 'Sasural' only 'look' good

2) The Other interpretation of the song is - The term 'genda phool' is a metaphor. The literal meaning is a 'Marigold Flower', and the metaphor here is that the in-law family is full of different kinds of people and various little activities that define them, just like the 'Marigold Flower' is of different varieties and different colors.so comparison is in between different member's behaviors to different color of 'Genda" (marigold)

3) Another interesting interpretation made by some learned man's is acoording to them 'Genda" (Marigold) is compared with In law's home (Sasural) is, as "Marigold" the color of marigold is not same throught span of its lifecycle,the color changes as times goes, so it can be compared to behavior of different members of 'Sasural' which change over time and is not the same as it was at starting but in teasing way.

4) Another interpretation says, "Marigold" is compared to "sasural" because as its very difficult to understand or interpreted the behavior of all member of family (sasural) just like the dense petals of a marigold flower.

I was wondering about the connection between genda phool and sasural, now it all makes senseπŸ˜†.. amazing song.. AR Rahaman really creates magicπŸ‘

Edited by Ambrosia - 14 years ago
No idea -- me too stumped!!!

Someone please explain-- I read a post saying this was a copy of a serial in Bangla... you guys may have some clue!!!

πŸ˜•
Originally posted by elgee

No idea -- me too stumped!!!

Someone please explain-- I read a post saying this was a copy of a serial in Bangla... you guys may have some clue!!!

πŸ˜•
The bengali version of it do not have the same meaning. The one in bengali means " a pretty bride" but the Hindi version has a genda phoolConfusedπŸ˜† I don't understand how a genda phool is related to Suhana and IshaanπŸ€”
My two cents...πŸ˜ƒ

The term 'genda phool' is a metaphor. The literal meaning is a 'Marigold Flower', and the metaphor here is that the in-law family is full of different kinds of people and various little activities that define them, just like the 'Marigold Flower' is of different varieties and different colors.so comparison is in between different member's behaviors to different color of 'Genda" (marigold)
Originally posted by Armu4eva

My two cents...πŸ˜ƒ

The term 'genda phool' is a metaphor. The literal meaning is a 'Marigold Flower', and the metaphor here is that the in-law family is full of different kinds of people and various little activities that define them, just like the 'Marigold Flower' is of different varieties and different colors.so comparison is in between different member's behaviors to different color of 'Genda" (marigold)
okay this makes sense as seriously I don't see any similarities between the characters of this show. The only similarity is that  they are all crazy about marriage πŸ˜†
Genda phool means-Marry gold
They ment that when a boy will marry to a girl they love will become less for his mother
Actually,marigold i.e genda phool is a very diff flower......it is actually a cluster of flowers that means each petal is a flower by itself ..but the beauty of a marigold lies when u see all the petals together collectively..like a sasural where different members are a complete individual but when they come together they are collectively called SASURAL depicting the joint family system.the song is a actually a folk song from chattisgarh where a married woman describes her sasural..that is why the show is called Sasural genda Phool.

source:-had read earlier during the release of delhi 6 in some blog,so thought of sharing the info 
@sheetal: How does mari gold relate to "more love for wife and less for the mother"?πŸ˜• 
me having the same question too!!!  πŸ˜•πŸ˜†
I found a convincing answer:

gendha aka marigold is a special type of a flower. Its an Inflorescence. Inflorescence, as in every leaf of 'gendha phool' is a complete flower in itself. While every leaf/petal of the 'gendha' is a flower in itself, a gendha is complete, beautiful and can live only when all petals are together.
"Marigold" is compared to "sasural" because as its very difficult to understand or interpreted the behavior of all member of family (sasural) just like the dense petals of a marigold flower.
Edited by Ambrosia - 14 years ago