Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Is Bollywood male dominated? - Why Bollywood Sucks

Posted: 14 years ago

Is Bollywood male dominated?

Tanvi Trivedi, TNN, Mar 20, 2010, 12.00pm IST
Rekha|Madhuri|Urmila Matondkar
Rekha More Pics
Call it perfect timing. On March 8, International Women's Day, at the Oscars Sandra Bullock was awarded the best actor for her performance in The Blind Side and Kathryn Bigelow at 58 years of age became the first woman director to win for The Hurt Locker.

Earlier, Hillary Swank for (Million Dollar Baby) at 35 years, Reese Witherspoon for (Walk The Line) at 33 years and Kate Winslet for (The Reader) at 35 years of age were awarded Oscars for best actor category. Age is not a dirty word in Hollywood👏👍🏼. Contrast this with the Hindi film industry where the female actors have to get married or plan alternative careers after they hit their late 20s. Otherwise why do you think actors like Sridevi, Madhuri Dixit-Nene, Rani Mukerji, Preity Zinta, Tabu, Shilpa Shetty with the exception of Kajol, have either settled for marital bliss or delved into alternative careers.

Actor Urmila Matondkar who shifted base to Panchgani says, "Getting good scripts everyday isn't possible. Honestly, I have reached that point in my life where I don't want to get out of my house unless it's worth it." Shilpa Shetty Kundra who is busy handling her IPL team at the moment says, "There came a time when the scripts offered to me were not only foolish but completely impractical. There was no other choice but to move on." Actor Shefali Shah had to act as Akshay Kumar's mother in a film. Winning a National Award last year in the supporting actor category for The Last Lear, she says, "Everyone knows it's a male dominated industry. So you can only wait."

Says scriptwriter Kamlesh Pandey who wrote the script for Rang De Basanti, Tezaab, Dil, Beta, Chalbaaz, "With an exception of Umrao Jaan, even a talented actor like Rekha gets wasted here. She had great potential but she always played second fiddle to male actors. Vidya Balan, Kareena Kapoor are talented actors but the corporate houses and producers are at the mercy of male superstars so there will be few scripts for them."

On the challenges for budget and the fact that a 45-year-old Aamir Khan plays a 23-year-old college boy in 3 Idiots and makes it a super duper success, definitely says something. Says filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar, "It's only after my films got rave reviews and worked at the box-office, people felt that Madhur ki picture chalti hai to karte hai iske liye investment. Let's hope that the women's bill will bring in some change." Says actor Amrita Rao who is facing dearth of good scripts already, "The film industry still suffers from a conservative cobweb wherein typical mindsets will take a few generations to change." Says filmmaker Vikram Bhatt, "A lot of times I have suggested the name of an actress and the reaction has been, 'Role ke liye bahut glamourous hain boss!' Did there have to be a distinction between glamour and talent?"

Bollywood today is crying for new kind of films. Says filmmaker Kunal Kohli, whose film Fanaa got Kajol her Filmfare award after she got married, "As long as the male superstars use their star power to make the right films, we are a long away from making films which will have women equally standing chance."
Anybody listening?

Edited by tweety_lovely - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Wow I totally agree!!!! Detailed comments later since I'm in a hurry but I must agree this industry is so sexist! We have a long way to go
Its far more worse in Tamil industry. I remember a big Star in Tamil Ajith was pissed off that his leading lady in a soon to be released movie 'Laila' got married before the movie got released. he felt that will affect the saleability of the movie.

And moreover in S India actress are supposed to protect their 'pure' on-screen persona, remeber what happened to Kushbu after her comments on pre-marital sex?
live_life thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I really DISLIKE this fact in the bollyy industry. It's totally a male-oriented and that mindset's stuck on most directors and producers thinkin thatzz wat the audience wats. BULL! I feel bad 4 these heroiness right now cause soon they will get replaced too
monica201 thumbnail
It's sad but true Bollywood is male dominated. Glamour is becoming more important than talent in our industry.
defintely..age is not a dirty word in hollywood..

14 yr old Dakota Fanning makes a pair with 26 yr old Chris Evans in movie Push even the girl who plays his girlfriend gets sidelined ...

the problem is not just with the industry...its in the minds of people also... they should get a change..

i think rekha is the only actres who got maximum number of her hits on her own..films like khoon bhari maang, phool bane angaare and umrao jaan were carried by her shoulders and did well
LeadOxide thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
In my opinion Hollywood sucks
Tani91 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Hollywood is 10000000 times better than Bollywood...because they have better movies and actors and much better way to handle their press (even Hwood has wtf press moments BUT they're usually 90% of the time true unlike Bollywood journalists who seem to live in la la land)

Bollywood has always been male dominated and I think Hollywood has too....it took them 82 years to award a female for best director?? and only 4 have been nominated for female best director.
But I have to admit this year for Hollywood it was all about women power..from Mo'Nique to Sandra Bullock to Meryl Streep to Katryn Bigelow...it was reining women all along...everyone forgot about the males..lol

one thing I appreciate about Hollywood is that age isnt that big a deal..I mean an actress like Meryl Streep STILL gets movies and she excells at them....whereas in Bwood....all they do is praise Rekha?? how about offering her a movie as a lead role or how about giving SRK/Aamir and the likes roles that portray their age...how come SRK/Aamir/Saif/Akki havent played fatherly roles in their new movies? and yet the ladies are always given motherly roles
^^^

i so agree with u...
queenie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Is bollywood male dominated - hard to say
Can bollywood actors guarantee a hit or at least a return on investment - YES.
Can bollywood actress guarantee a hit or ROI - No.
Its the market and audience that decides.
The last heroine oriented movie that was a hit was Fashion. And producers and production houses are not going to make movies where they'll lose money. So they continue to make movies where heroines have to just look good and do nothing else. So obviously the younger ones are chosen.

We can only hope that Madhurs, Imtiaz's and Sanjay Bansalis continue to make good heroine oriented movies and not get bogged down by demands of the market

Edited by queenie - 14 years ago