Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by: SValeCalGal

Unfortunately?!!  So let's just extrapolate that a tad further shall we ... everyone who is oppressed in any shape, way, or form can just well lump it and chalk it up to 'that's just how things are, take it or leave it' ... shall we apply this principle to ... oh let's say ... female trafficking for prostitution?  After all, that too is a business

And no, minorities can demand a change ... but that requires 'vocalizing' one's displeasure ... which is precisely what I am doing ... I - for now - belong to the minority class of the atheist, and would like to live to see the day when 'religion' is dismantled to be supplanted with a more universal code of ethics (I won't of course) ... but since religion is here to stay, I shall then demand that in a secular republic like India, every effort be made to be inclusive - irrespective of the domain!  And given that I now know that you live in this wonderful part of the world, my expectation would have been that you had imbibed many of the principles that make this country (despite its myriad faults) a mecca for all kinds from the rest of the globe ... protection of minority rights is one fundamental principle to which this country strives to adhere - sometimes manifested as explicit apologies to minority populations for crimes commited against them e.g. the interning of the Japanese during WW II (which incidentally did not begin as some one having a pang of conscience about their wrong doing but by the affected group forming a coalition and speaking out) ...

So, I believe I have initiated the process ... I should love to hear back from those other 'minority' groups about how they feel to be so excluded ...

Now, with regard to my 'quest' ... you are right that I seek a solution ... and I have already quite unequivocally stated what that solution entails ... suggestions are there in my posts ...

I do want to bring to your attention that I find this situation to be especially troublesome in the case of the reality show where there is representation from minority groups (specifically the music talent shows) ... and yet, they are routinely subjected to the Hindu perspective on life and are unable to speak out ... I take vehement objection to this practice ...

lolz.
I am as yet, not fully initiated in the cryptic ... but if this is you laughing, then I find that to be inexpressibly sad ...😔

Subjected to Hindu perspective on life in musical reality shows?, examples?

And where do you wanna draw the line, should all religious imagery be banned in serials?, and how do we separate culture from religion in India, the lines are not clearly demarcated.

A few years ago, the founder of India's Rationalist Association appeared on India TV, he challenged a Tantric baba to use his mantras to make him unconcious, the baba took up the challenge and obviously failed, but the show was a hit, and he went on to appear in 240 different programs on various channels last year.

There are some people from minority faiths who appear on TV, and are quite successful, for instance.. Zakir Naik who airs frequently in India, constantly denouncing Hinduism and other faiths.

But yes, there is a degree of stereotype in films, but that isn't limited to any one particular minority community.
karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
My reply later, but lets refresh some basics of church and state separation to see if we agree on some things. Ideally, the state should not fund any religion. Church and state should function independently.

Encouraging any minority religion or discouraging any majority religion is also against the principle  of church and state separation. It follows from here that discouraging Hindu serials will be against secularism just like over appeasement of minorities.

Things needed for the upliftment of the oppressed- for example opportunities or education for the minorities should rather be approached with a neutral stance, irrespective of the religion. It should be ensured that fair opportunities are provided to all persons without any bias towards a particular religion.
Edited by karandel_2008 - 14 years ago
Yes, Hinduism is common in India but why just target and complain about India, and not Pakistan, where the Muslims are predominantly common.

I 'target and complain' about India for several reasons: (i) I have earned the right to do so by virtue of having been born and raised there; (ii) India has always professed and practiced plurality; (iii) the very premise of Pakistan is a land for Muslims, a notion I find abhorrent, and one prime reason for that country to have achieved the dubious distinction of being a near failed state.

Not once in my posts have I singled this issue out as a Hindu/Muslim kind of problem ... I have asked that minorities (religious lines only being one - and being a true blue atheist, I find all religions to be anachronisms) be represented on an equal footing with the 'majority' (and why should majority be defined only on 'religious' grounds?)

Have you conducted a survey in India, every single city and town, about how many people actually watch the spiritual channels and then conduct another survey in the US, asking the same question and then compare it to each other.

We already acknowledge the US to be especially regressive in this regard (just like their idiotic tenacity in using the bloody metric system)!!  Some staggering percentage of Americans think that the earth was created in 6004 B.C.!!  That's why there are breathtaking inanities like the 'Museum of Evolution' (or some such nonsense) in Kentucky where homo sapiens are shown to co-exist with dinosaurs!!!!!  Needless to say there is plenty of belly-aching about this kind of mind-boggling stupidity!!! 

But, I was not referring to 'spiritual' channels (there's very little 'spiritual' in these kinds of offerings ... the whole premise of spiritual needs large scale revision to bring it into sync. with what we now know of the physics, biology, and chemistry of this planet and beyond - we'll leave that for another thread) ... never once on mainstream TV in the US have I seen an active promoting of Christianity ... I already said that one can easily find looney-tune nut cases by the bushel on fringe TV (like their hero Sarah Palin and her scary sidekick Ann Coulter)!

Insofar as a survey is concerned - given that the total population of India far exceeds that of the US, if such a comprehensive survey could be conducted, then in sheer number, who do you suppose would come out ahead?

Well simply because there are so many diverse religions in the states, that even though there may be a small group of followers for every religion, the number of sects of every religion are ridiculously huge compared to those in India.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree!  Just amongst the Hindus ... goodness think just of the stratification within the 'caste' system!!  You may be confusing different denominations of Christianity with being unique religions ... I'll bet my bottom dollar, these same denominations exist in India as well - thanks to the proselytizing ... except maybe the 'scientologists' (some more lunatics - Tom Cruise 😔) ...

Looks like the racism in the US is never gonna change

Never say never ... nothing is immutable ... not even the universe ...  but here at least we're past the days where there were open-air lynchings and every one came to see the show ... done with complete impunity too I might add ... there have been many shameful periods in American history, but we have learned to hang our heads in shame ... we're not sacrificing children  to appease some god gone berserk (or other barbarisms e.g. the poor teenager in Turkey buried alive by the males of her household after being 'caught' speaking to a boy ... and these males not even certifiable psychopaths)

I think you are too judgemental off the Sahara channel thing.

I cannot be judgemental until I know what it means!  I'm still asking - what does that gesture mean, and why did they need to devise a new form of greeting?!

sue the Americans for holding their hand to their heart when saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

Hardly!  That is not a new gesture ... and we in India stand during the national anthem as well ... but, yes, when it comes to the part about 'one country under God' my hackles go up - big time!!  We're not giving up on our battle to get these things out of the public domain ... in their entirety!  No siree!  Recall the case which went up to the US Supreme Court about the unconstitutionality of precisely this!  It's a tad difficult right now given the conservative stance in the Court and an ineffectual Congress - not wanting to offend religious sentiment and jeopardize their chances at re-election ...

Subjected to Hindu perspective on life in musical reality shows?, examples?
Gosh ... many!  The recent was on 'Music ka Maha Muqabala' where they wheeled in the idol of Ganesha, and proceeded to have everybody participate in the aarti ... then Shankar Mahadevan (who has a divine voice ... and I'm glad for his kind of talent) went on to whip the crowd into a frenzy with his 'Hanuman ki Jai' ... the latter I'll overlook because there have been Sufi renditions as well ... but nothing out of the book of Zoroaster as an example (dunno if they even have any such thing in their repertoire) ... granted none of the participants is obliged to participate ... not overtly ... the next time an episode on one of these programs falls on ... let's say ... 'Buddh Jayanti', will Buddhist monks get to come on stage and chant with everyone else an active participant? 

should all religious imagery be banned in serials?

Recall - I'm an atheist! 😆

and how do we separate culture from religion in India, the lines are not clearly demarcated.
This is a good question ... and worthy of debate ... let me see where I might start if this was a project I was tasked with ...

A few years ago, the founder of India's Rationalist Association appeared on India TV, he challenged a Tantric baba to use his mantras to make him unconcious, the baba took up the challenge and obviously failed, but the show was a hit, and he went on to appear in 240 different programs on various channels last year.
I think I saw that!! It was hands-down HILARIOUS!!  Those are the kinds of things we must all mobilize behind!  There is an on-line site (Nirmukta I think) that advertises itself as a promoter of rationalism in India (too bad the one fellow with whom I had an interaction was a jerk ... and I thought must be me ... until he had the same kind of interaction with members of another site I frequent) ...

Ideally, the state should not fund any religion. Church and state should function independently.
We're in violent agreement!  And not just 'ideally' ... it should be absolutely verboten!!

It follows from here that discouraging Hindu serials will be against secularism just like over appeasement of minorities.

Agreed!  I'm not asking for a reduction in one kind ... I'm asking for equality ... others should be represented as well ... the ratio?  I'd still be unhappy if one kind eclipsed another ... my ideal would be - move all religion inside your home or your local place of 'worship' ... every place else, there are only 'Indians' ...

Things needed for the upliftment of the oppressed- for example opportunities or education for the minorities should rather be approached with a neutral stance, irrespective of the religion. It should be ensured that fair opportunities are provided to all persons without any bias towards a particular religion.

I'm not trying to be rude ... just funny ... my answer is: 'Duh!!' 😃
Edited by SValeCalGal - 14 years ago

SValeCalGal, you are carving up your brain and throwing those itty-bitty pieces our way, assuming one of us will catch on and participate in a debate with equal fervor. Is there any one single topic that you would like to zero-in and discuss in a refined manner without derisively snickering at others with a "duh?!" and then trying to cover that up with a fake "I am not trying to be rude so here goes the big smile" emoticon? In other words, do you insist on splattering all of your thoughts all over this thread like a person about to have a cerebral hemorrhage or do you intend to focus on one topic at a time?

A brief list of topics that I garnered so far from your posts (by the way, some of the verbiage is faithfully lifted from your posts):

• Mainstream Television, their roles and responsibilities.
  • Minority representation in India, which group should be considered a minority and on what basis.
  • Scientology and Tom Cruise.
  • Merits and demerits of the Metric System.
  • Rationalism and all that it entails.
  • The immutability or lack there of, of the Universe.
  • The "social evil" emanating from public places of worship and the "correctional" steps which need to be enforced to stem that 'evil'; the pros and cons of all involved steps therein.
  • "Universal human traits".
  • Those gestures that are permissible and those that should be banned.
  • RSS.
  • How western nations are ensuring that majorities are not smothering minorities and what aspects of that should be emulated by Indians in India.
  • Plight of minorities in Japan.
  • The interning of the Japanese in WW II.
  •  "Universal code of ethics".
  • Is India really secular? Why or why not?
  • "Hindu perspective on life" and it's pros and cons
  • Who has the right to target and complain about India and what exactly needs to be done to address those grievances
  • "What we now know of the physics, biology, and chemistry of this planet and beyond"????????
  • "nut cases like Sarah Palin and Ann Coulter"
  • stratification within the 'caste' system!!
  • Proselytizing in India and who or what is behind that.
  • American history, what's shameful about it and it's relevancy from the POV of learning.
  • The relevancy of Zoroaster and Zoroastrianism to Music ka Maha Muqabala????

You do realize that each is a topic on its own and could be debated till the cows come home, don't you?!

And before we do decide on a topic from the above list, if you could shed some light on a seemingly contradictory behavior of yours, as demonstrated below, it would be appreciated.

Is that so?  Why, I must  thank you for knowing me better than I know myself

That was your retort when someone apparently did a little mind reading. Fair enough!

I do want to bring to your attention that I find this situation to be especially troublesome in the case of the reality show where there is representation from minority groups (specifically the music talent shows) ... and yet, they are routinely subjected to the Hindu perspective on life and are unable to speak out

But then you turn around and do a little bit of mind reading yourself. You could, somehow gauge the mind-set of the contestants with your eyes and construe that they are not able to speak out.

Perplexing!

Is there any one single topic that you would like to zero-in and discuss in a refined manner without derisively snickering at others with a "duh?!"

I'll respond to your other points when I am able to be somewhat cogent (it's getting late ... although just a cursory glance at your response leads me to believe that you think me entirely devoid/incapable of cogency) ... but you have completely & abjectly misunderstood this!!  That was NOT a snicker, nor an attempt to be boorish, nor to deride!!  It was merely an oblique way of saying "I could not agree more with what you are suggesting/saying!" ... I guess 'Americanism' is not as widespread as I thought 😕

I'll respond to your other points when I am able to be somewhat cogent (it's getting late ... although just a cursory glance at your response leads me to believe that you think me entirely devoid/incapable of cogency) ... but you have completely & abjectly misunderstood this!!  That was NOT a snicker, nor an attempt to be boorish, nor to deride!!  It was merely an oblique way of saying "I could not agree more with what you are suggesting/saying!" ... I guess 'Americanism' is not as widespread as I thought 😕

You are not being true to yourself at this point which is surprising because you did start off extremely strongly dropping copious hints along the way as to what you think of the quality of the topics being posted on this forum, caring two hoots about others' feelings. You did not shy away from taking potshots at other members either, when their responses didn't fit in with your American palette but that's not my problem, I will let them deal with it.

I said you are not being true to yourself at this point because you and me (and very likely a host of others on this forum) are fully aware in what context the word "Duh!" is used, no matter how you try to spin it.

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, I have included  the following as an FYI:

Merriam-Webste dictionary:
duh is a) used to express actual or feigned ignorance or stupidity b) used derisively to indicate that something just stated is all too obvious or self-evident
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/duh

urban dictionary: Duh as in "No sh*t sherlock"  / "Of course you idiot"
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=duh

Wiktionary: duh is a disdainful indication that something is obvious.
example: It's hot in the desert. - Well, duh!
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/duh

Every single one of them have it defined with a negative connotation.

Which brings me to one of your other assumptions - you seem to be of the opinion that you are one of the "fortunate" few to have set foot on the American soil a long while ago and everyone else (at least on this forum) is either not of this country or is here fresh off the boat. Three things of note there. One, it is an assumption and it's best if you divest yourself off of that. Two, people don't have to be necessarily here to know and/or understand what America stands for. Three, may be they question the entire "fortunate to be here" line of thinking and may be they are right. Now before you ask "where did I say all that?", I would reply that "you didn't explicitly say some of that but your tone and demeanor certainly did".

I will make myself scarce now. I will reply only if something catches my fancy.

drive home the point to people here that Minorities are excluded from representation in the Entertainment industry?....what makes u think so??

Gee whiz ... 'what makes me think so??' ... don't tell me that I've arrived at my conclusions from not having watched sufficient TV?!  You mean there are programs on Indian TV that are adequately representative of minorities?  I'm hardly suggesting that things here in the US - from the same perspective - are hunky-dory ... far from it ... but at least I hear voices of opposition ...

My main point was to ask why the majority perspective's routine eclipsing of the minority perspective was tolerable?

dm is getting flooded by trolls nowadays........sigh!

Do you think this is representative of that other minority?  The 'couth' and urbane?

look is till dont understand what ur main beef is here, but, whatever- if minorities see no problem in it, why do you?😳😆
Edited by krystal_watz - 14 years ago
Roadrunnerz thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

All one has to do if one does not enjoy a show is switch it off ! 😆 The entertainment channels strive hard to keep that possibility to a minimum . 😛

Edited by crazy_sunny - 14 years ago
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

SValCalGal is quite obviously someone we know pretty well testing our mettle.😆

I did not want to mention this earlier but she is trying to create controversy and give DM a firm kick in the butt. Perhaps things here have been too smooth and complacent.
Most persons would hardly bother about the happenings here.😉

SValeCalGal, you are carving up your brain and throwing those itty-bitty pieces our way, assuming one of us will catch on and participate in a debate with equal fervor.

In other words, do you insist on splattering all of your thoughts all over this thread like a person about to have a cerebral hemorrhage

You are not being true to yourself at this point which is surprising because you did start off extremely strongly dropping copious hints along the way as to what you think of the quality of the topics being posted on this forum, caring two hoots about others' feelings.

It finally dawned on me even before the sun actually rose, that there had to be a correlation between what this gentleman was asserting, the aplomb behind his assertions, and the mug-shot that appears on his posts!  No wonder, his intimate familiarity with the contents of my mind - whether it hemorrhages or not!  Just as clear, his capo de tutti capi position on this forum.

Ah yes!  Mister K!  Mister.  Know_it_all?  Oops ... a thousand pardons, I meant to say Mister.  All_Knowing!!  So, should I now await the unleashing of the Sudarshan Chakra to have my head decisively and permanently severed from the rest of my body (although why do I believe that that is considered a boon?) ...

Sir, let's agree that I have been willfully 'hurtful', resorting to the expletive, invective, and mild profanity (all generously peppering the rest of my ramblings).  Taking just the above as a sample, how have you shown us your superior side? 

I should say, in this regard, we are equals!

A brief list of topics that I garnered so far from your posts (by the way, some of the verbiage is faithfully lifted from your posts):

And then, this was a preamble to a neat little enumeration of the putative 'topics for never ending discussion' that had appeared in my responses.   Since the verbiage was faithfully lifted, I must assume that you had actually perused (for your own amusement) my responses with less than divine eyes ... this implies that you had now descended from your Olympian heights to be amongst the rest of us mere mortals ... I am delighted that I have been able to provide fodder to the extent that you profess ... so, Mr. Jack Horner (your earthly avatar), with all your fingers holding plums, you're one exceptional boy, and I am happy to regale you with whichever one of these topics you wish to pursue ... oh wait ... you've made yourself scarce ... sorry ... Duh!

But then you turn around and do a little bit of mind reading yourself. You could, somehow gauge the mind-set of the contestants with your eyes and construe that they are not able to speak out.

Your grace!  I beg your indulgence!  It is indeed a non sequitur to state that not having once seen or heard  a single one of the potentially affected contestants (the non-Hindus) protest was not reflective of their state of mind!

From my very brief and superficial readings of matters scientific, I'm reasonably certain that I'm not especially off the mark in stating that there is a relationship of inverse proportionality between the level of synaptic connectivity and cognitive dissonance.  Whilst you dwell in the land of the mortals, I would urge you to make every effort to increase your personal level of the former in order to reduce the latter!

And I'm happy to stick around!  There have been displays of great civility already and I thank those individuals.