No rings on fingers, no bells on toes - Page 6

Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by krystal_watz

svcalgal seems to be an MID- and i have a fairly faint idea of who that might be😉👏
😆 another of those MIDs 😲😆 
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Special shout out to Mister K - I'm glad all my nagging paid off and you found your way into DM. Hope you're enjoying your time here! :)

Howdy! You didn't tell me then that you were about to go AWOL. Not nice! 😳

Just kidding. Best wishes to you in your pursuits. To Sarina as well.

This forum is close to being derelict.

Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

You may find girls talking trash fun, but guys talking lik dis are anything but flattering. Is this how you're representing Harvard? Tsk, tsk, don't tell me they forgot to teach you how to spell. 😉

lol i ran outa battery on the spell checkr progrm. remind me to switch to ur brand. evrready triple As?😛😆

Originally posted by SValeCalGal

Veni, Vidi - yes ...

Vici?  will Ceaser's due be mine? The jury is out ...

While I have not done an in-depth review of the kind of discussion that is the be-all-end-all of this the 'Debate Mansion', I would not characterize the little I have seen to be of a serious or substantive nature ... of course I speak from my own perspective ... so love, marriage, rings, and bells can wait for their horse and carriage ... I'm putting my show on the road ... as an avowed and proud atheist and rationalist (the proverbial flotsam and jetsam in the sea of Hindu claptrap that provides sustenance to the rest of my family) ...

Someone in the know about the legal position of the separation of 'church' and state (read: religion and state) in Independent India, please oblige us with the facts.  If this concept is on the books, then what I see on Indian TV is nothing short of the tyranny of the majority, and should be firmly and decisively axed.  The active promoting of the 'horrorscope' and astrology snake-oil-salesperson (since women are as much a part as men) on channels pales in comparison!

In a nation ostensibly secular, what place does the parading of Hindu sentiment have on shows for public consumption?!  'Hanuman ki Jai', 'Mata ki Jai', 'Ganapati Buppa Morea', wheeling in idols of one kind or another, overt worshipping, Pundits spewing nonsense!!!  To the complete exclusion of Muslims, Sikhs, Christians, Buddhists, Jains, and the myriad other 'faiths'!!!  How is this permitted?!!  It doesn't just stop there of course - does a show exist where the characters are not steeped in Hinduism?!!  Not as far as I can tell.  Another curiosity that leaves me completely thunderstruck is that bizarre gesture - of hand over heart - called 'Sahara Pranam' on the Sahara channel!  Why is this reminiscent of the 'Heil Hitler' of the Nazi regime?  Are these people RSS'ites?! And no one has yet cried 'foul'??!!

I entered this forum on the heels of a discussion on 'Money, Love & Happiness' (such as it was)  ... and there it was ... glowing in the rest of the 'darkness' ... the predictable bashing of the 'American' and their natural unhappiness the result of an unnatural amount of money ... the originator has not yet answered my query of whether (s)he has spent any appreciable amount of time in the US to have averred that that is the state of affairs (and uniquely American to boot) ... I suspect (s)he has not ... oh, we do have our ills in this regard ... there is the Christian fundamentalist view broadcast on TV ... on fringe TV ... it would be unthinkable that this would be permitted on mainstream television ... and it does not require the services of an astrologer to predict that behinds would get hauled into court ... governmental agencies and independent legal organizations would hail fire and brimstone ... and up in smoke such an enterprise would go ... to reach some celestial site ...

This social climate in the US is a source of great happiness for all of us others who do not subscribe to one or the other superstition-du-jour ... one might almost say 'true happiness'.

Sic Simper Tyranis, Et Tu Brute

Je ne parle pas francais, parles vous en anglais? Merci beaucoup! Sorry, I don't speak Greek.

Anyway, my friends tell me this is about separation of church and state. From whatever Greek, I understand it appears that you have a problem with a so called 'majority portrayal'.

You begin with the separation of church and state and then delve into contemporary media portrayals. However, you are meshing two completely unrelated concepts. The separation of church and state is a principle on which the state (government) is separate from church (religion) and takes a stance that is neutral. In this principle the government acts in the interest of the people as a whole and not a particular religion.

Media on the other hand is a private institution (barring government owned media of course). It is separate from state and church, but can choose to be affiliated with either or. With the freedom of speech and expression, media has the freedom to express whatever it chooses to as long as it does not violate certain laws. In the United States that means the KKK and the Westboro Baptist church have a right to promote their perception in the media (within limitations).

If the media producing shows wants to portray people in a certain way, they by all means have the right to do so. Of course you can criticize and condemn it, but definitely not under the garb of separation of church and state - because that principle has nothing to do with it.

As for the media in India portraying things from the perspective of a Hindu majority. It is not essentially a bias. First and foremost, they are mindless television shows not meant to be assessed in this manner. Secondly, it does portray a representative cross section of society on an average. Finally, it is but natural for people to portray what is familiar to them. A Hindu television producer is more aware of Hindu rituals and Hindu family life and will be more comfortable portraying so. There is also that fear of misrepresentation. Anytime a majority misrepresents a minority it creates a furore.

The United States is juts the same. One will never stop cringing in exasperation that Goku was a white dude in the DragonBallZ movie. WTF? Why in the world is Goku white? Aaah the blasphemy? Tyler Perry makes movies about black people, George Lopez cracks jokes about Hispanics, Jeff Foxworthy portrays the rednecks - everyone is portraying what they are familiar with. As media evolves India will also have its niche markets and portrayals.

Btw, I responded here because I was told that there might a chance that I am schizophrenic and you are me. I'd like to be ensured that I am not getting high and living an unknown second life. I'm pretty sure I'm not that far gone insane. And to be frank you are way too Sirius for me. Seriously, why so sirius?
[QUOTE=return_to_hades
Btw, I responded here because I was told that there might a chance that I am schizophrenic and you are me. [/QUOTE]
😲 😲 such is life dearie  full of shocking assumptions ! 😆 The CID serial seems to have become quite polpular , many trying to play the sleuth !