Autisim Awareness Week|| Join in!

Posted: 13 years ago

*Cooke and Macaroni (Ravjot and Mimi) come on the stage*

Ravjot: Hey kids! We're here to present this week's topic on behalf of the crazies!
Though the Crazy Creatives are known for being fun and ofcourse being crazy πŸ˜† this week is a little bit different and we've decided to focus on a more important issue

A U T I S M

Mimi: Macaroni and I figured that we didn't need to do any research on Autism because we were both quite familiar with what it was. By the end of our discussion, we realized that our knowledge on this 'disorder' was limited. We knew that some famous celebrities have it, we knew that a lot of autistic people are misunderstood.. they're judged and diagnosed with more chronic illnesses such as schizophrenia when in reality, that's not the case.

Ravjot: Exactly! I didn't really think how much it could affect someone until I watched Taare Zameen Par and Aap ki Antara. It really got me thinking afterwards....how much do we really know?

Mimi: And sooo, we're asking all of you to find ONE fact about Autism that you're willing to share with the rest of I-F. Just ONE fact, just ONE story that may open eyes. Who knows, that ONE fact or story can lead to understanding Autism. It may make some people realize that this is not an illness. It may be a disadvantage, but you are just as human as all of us are.

Ravjot: If you have personal stories that you think you can share with us, then PLEASE do so! This week is all about raising awareness.
Have you ever had any encounters with an autistic person that has affected you in any way?

Mimi: We would like to share the following inspirational video with all of you:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8k5IsGV7ZM[/YOUTUBE]

And before ending off, we'd like to share a quote with the man who had autism himself:

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."

- Albert Einstein

Edited by mimi0295 - 13 years ago
Thank you for the wonderful Topic Mimi and Ravjot πŸ‘πŸ‘!

At this point, I wish to share the story of two of my relatives.... who were affected by Autism! 

In the first case, the parents found he had autism at a young age.  The boy had a lot of communication and social interaction problems.  However with the birth of their second child, the boy slowly started picking up a few words thanks to his lil sibling.  This was short lived when his lil sibling passed away due to pneumonia 😭😭... he was stunned and was back to being what he use to be 😭.  He was way too shocked!  Eventually he went to school and really enjoyed it, although he could not communicate well.  However, being the only child, he never got the constant stimulation.  But I must add, he is a very intellligent child who is aware of the happenings around him πŸ‘πŸ‘.  The only issues he is having are impaired communication skills and social interaction (i.e. unable to attend any social gatherings). 

In the second case however, the boy (being the first) was diagnosed with Autism, however, with constant speech stimulation from his younger siblings, he began talking at the age of 8 and now is a very active kid πŸ‘πŸ‘...

So from these two cases, I learned that although the child may be diagnosed with Autism, they are infact very intelligent (I have also herad that their IQ is very high) and are very energetic!!  I had the opportunity to be around both of them and really loved my time with them! 

Edited by MP_Radha - 13 years ago
Hi guys!  This is an excellent topic.  Autism is a growing developmental disability and the more aware the general public is about it the better.

Did you know that there is no medical detection or cure for Autism. The vast majority of cases of autism are idiopathic, which means the cause is unknown.

Here's a great website I found that helped me understand this ailment a little better

Well me and my mom have worked with  group of autistic children in hyderabad and one thing that we noticed these children take  interest in art  be it painting music  or any other art form

Creativity is  shown at the best here!!!!
Well I had no experiences of autism with near and dear ones but I must appreciate all the parents of such kids who understand their kids position and support them in every possible way. All those parents who take it positively, here is a big salute for them !!

I am not really aware of Autisim that much and neither have I come across autistic people in realityπŸ€” All I know is there is no cure for this disability but with treatment autisitc people do improve over time :)

Edited by Angelic_J - 13 years ago
Originally posted by Angelic_J

I am not really aware of Autisim that much and neither have I come across autistic people in realityπŸ€” All I know is there is no cure for this disease but with treatment autisitc people do improve over time :)

I agree with you totally But let me tell u Autism is really  not  a disease.. it can be worked on!!!
 here's a little insight on what me and  my mom worked on

with my personal experience  I would say tht  these Children are a blessing in disguise .Their  skills  surpaas tht  Disability   its Just amazing . we first understand  the dilemna if they ever should let their  children out into the world.. parents sure feel a little insecure at times . but as a  therapist   we tell them  "  It is not a Disaease It's a Disability ". Incredible mark has been seeen in such children. we once had a child wid Aspergers  syndrome  and we had a really tough time  in our therapies wid him  he was  violent and   his mother was  literally  broken down to sdee herr two year old boy come  to us in tht shape... Tht was 5 - 6 years back  ... now  we hear from tht  institute tht he has become a mature young boy and he is more interested in music and  painting

Each year we get around 300- 500 cases where we  personally   take  therapy sessions  and  indulge them into creative activities

Sorry to have gone overboard wid my story

Lekha
Edited by -Destiny- - 13 years ago
Originally posted by -Destiny-

I agree with you totally But let me tell u Autism is really  not  a disease.. it can be worked on!!!
 here's a little insight on what me and  my mom worked on

with my personal experience  I would say tht  these Children are a blessing in disguise .Their  skills  surpaas tht  Disability   its Just amazing . we first understand  the dilemna if they ever should let their  children out into the world.. parents sure feel a little insecure at times . but as a  therapist   we tell them  "  It is not a Disaease It's a Disability ". Incredible mark has been seeen in such children. we once had a child wid Aspergers  syndrome  and we had a really tough time  in our therapies wid him  he was  violent and   his mother was  literally  broken down to sdee herr two year old boy come  to us in tht shape... Tht was 5 - 6 years back  ... now  we hear from tht  institute tht he has become a mature young boy and he is more interested in music and  painting

Each year we get around 300- 500 cases where we  personally   take  therapy sessions  and  indulge them into creative activities

Sorry to have gone overboard wid my story

Lekha

Sorry😳 I should have been more careful but thank you for pointing it out that it is a disability - which I completely agree with :)
^^ it is an intense topic   but  no need to say sorry it is general for peole  to say tht  but ....  it is too intense I tell u  
I really appreciate this topic! Thanks for making it.

I didnt really know much abt Autism, but when i watched a show in zeetv called "Aapki Antara" i began to understand what is autism.

I've seen people discriminating autistic people and they mix them up with mentally challenged people which i think is wrong. Autistic people can learn but it takes time for them.

i really hope people can help them 😊