Posted: 13 years ago

Wow finally I get to create a sensible post...lol without any craziness or bashing involved!

Anyways, honour killing is usually associated with religion...I think it's because people think this sort of really prominent in Sikh and Muslim communities...I know for a fact that whenever a girl from either of those communities is murdered...it is proclaimed as honour killing or rather religious honour killing.

But I want to argue that it is not religion that is to be blamed...but the society itself...I am sure that Channi wasn't killed because she was from a particular relgious community but rather she had dishonoured her community/society.

It is a very real part of South Asian countries and even communities abroad....even in Canada...girls are murdered just because they have dishonoured their family...they are either killed here or taken back home...

My question is...why is honour killing still practiced...is it really just a religious thing or rather part of the old age societal thinking?
Really well said Sumi!

I agree with you, I don't think it has anything religious about it. It has more to do with how the society and their beleifs and how they are taught from their youth that such things are wrong and considered sinful.

And it if highly unfair how it is always the girl who is a victim of these so called "honor killing" to save the religion.
Totally agree with u sumi!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@shilpa...that's what surprises me...why is it that only women carry the torch of honour...why not the men? why are they allowed to get away with dishonouring another women?

@fatima...thanks!
wow sumi i just checked the post twice , that is this written by you!!lol, just kidding, really very nice post, i also stuked by this question , nd one more thing how rudely her dadaji give punishment , really ridiculous , yaaar, means she had a little accident aftr that instead of asking , how is she, they punished her, very bad, geet shud say some thing in against of that!
@sayli....lol oye I can make non-crazy posts too you know *goes to sulk in a corner :P*

lol kidding...anyways...true instead of asking her what happened...he just bull dozed over her...but I guess that's just part of the carrying honour thing...
i agree Sumi, why is it always the girl who seems to bear the brunt? Why is it that nothing a male does is considered to be wrong, while the girl not having a duppatta on herself can cause a major lashing?
that duppata thing is still getting on my nerves...I guess maybe that's why if a girl with jeans and t-shirt on goes to such a village she is deemed inappropriate...

Great analysis honey

well indeed society have to change now though girls now enjoy privileges but still some parts still have same ruthless rights n restrictions on girls.

Killing females in some part is more than normal, they still have no right to live their own life
Originally posted by Ashlesha09

Great analysis honey

well indeed society have to change now though girls now enjoy privileges but still some parts still have same ruthless rights n restrictions on girls.

Killing females in some part is more than normal, they still have no right to live their own life

thanks ashlesha!! btw I am sumaiya...you can call me sumi...lol

anyways....I think the society as a whole hasn't changed in these South Asian countries...it is not only small villages that are to be blamed but even larger society...

I know females are killed as if they are just goats for sacrifice...quite sad...but part of an on-going reality