Summers in India - NRI experiences - share urs!

Posted: 13 years ago
As the topic suggests .... summer seems special in India. Much more special in Delhi I feel...

For a person coming from the Northern Hemisphere ... the Indian summer is surely an experience to remember.

Although, I do consider it as the "extra special" warmth of my native land, I cannot but think how others may feel about it! Including those who have their friends or spouses native of countries where such kind of heat is just a fairy tale!

For me, although business doesnt need me run around alot (and when I have to go out, I use the car - but very rarely) - nor do my work with NGO right now.... still the "relatives" and the "shopping" etc etc etc (things which we fall into when visiting India) keeps me more or less moving out. If not for the laptop ... things would be difficult.

Dehydration, scratches, rashes ... etc ... galoons of water ... frequent showers ... for me describes the India summer... 

So how have your experiences been?.... Rashes appeared?.... If ur spouse (or friend) is a native of another (specially the nordic or northern hemisphere regions) place - did her expression of DISBELIEF caused interest and sympathy (in a curios/funny manner perhaps?...or differently?)

How did you tackle it yourself?...

If other experiences ... do share!

Last but not the least ... how do the INDIAN RELATIVE consider the DESI-PHOREN BIRADER behaving/tackling the Indian Summer HEAT!

Edited by Ice-Thinker - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
This year summer could be very very hot and dry.

I expect more deaths.

Extreme hot weather grills Myanmar

17:27, May 10, 2010 

Myanmar people have been suffering from the impact of extreme hot weather this summer in terms of diseases, business and water shortage in various part of the country.

Summer season in Myanmar lasts from March to May, and April represents the hottest month.

As a rare phenomena in several decades, this year is experiencing excessive heat strike, with the day temperatures in central Myanmar reaching a record high of between 43 and 45 degree Celsius, 5 to 6 degree Celsius above April average maximum temperature.

The Myanmar authorities have stopped traders in the country from exporting rice in order to reserve for domestic demand due to less production.

Meanwhile, thousands of fish, bred in ponds in the country's southwestern Ayeyawaddy division, died of heat during the current summer season.

There was even worse case that all 100,000 fishes died in a single day in Twantay township, Yangon division.

Fish breeders feared that such cases would continue as long as there is no rainfall.

The excessively high temperature also led to water shortage in many villages in the country.

As an alternative, the villagers are digging up wells near the dry ponds to get water.

The heat wave has also spred flu and skin allergy and the lack of electricity and water intensified the suffering.

There was news report about a sudden death of a taxi driver in Yangon when heat struck him inside the car.

The authorities have advised people to remain indoor in the day time to prevent from exposure to excessive heat.

Amid the extreme hot weather, Myanmar's cyclone-ravaged Ayeyawaddy division has enjoyed a rare heavy rainfall last Thursday.

In the Ayeyawaddy delta, which was destroyed by deadly cyclone Nargis in May 2008, over 180,000 people are now suffering from fresh water shortage due to the summer heat.

Source: Xinhua
my_view thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
^^ Summer.. What's up with that? πŸ˜•

From the title of the post I was expecting to read your/Summers reminiscing account of time spent in India with colorful pictures of wonderful beaches of India.
Between this post and the inspirational Thoughts are things post you come across as bi-polar.
Edited by my_view - 13 years ago
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Ice-Thinker

<font size="2">As the topic suggests .... summer seems special in India. Much more special in Delhi I feel...</font>

<font size="2">For a person comingfrom the Northern Hemisphere ... the Indian summer is surely an experience to remember.

Although, I do consider it as the "extra special" warmth of my native land, I cannot but think how others may feel about it! Including those who have their friends or spouses native of countries where such kind of heat is just a fairy tale!

For me,although business doesnt need me run around alot (and when I have to go out, I use the car - but very rarely) - nor do my work with NGO right now.... still the "relatives" and the "shopping" etc etc etc (things which we fall into when visiting India) keeps me more or lessmoving out. If notfor the laptop ... things would be difficult.

Dehydration, scratches, rashes ... etc ... galoons of water ... frequent showers ... for me describes the India summer...

So how have your experiences been?.... Rashes appeared?.... If ur spouse (or friend) is a native of another (specially the nordic or northern hemisphere regions) place - did your expression of DISBELIEF caused interest and sympathy (in a curios/funny manner perhaps?...or differently?)

How did you tackle it yourself?...

If other experiences ... do share!

Last but not the least ... how do the INDIAN RELATIVE consider the DESI-PHOREN BIRADER behaving/tackling the Indian Summer HEAT!
</font>

It sucks that every other month of the year, it's rainy and cold in the UK but the 2/3 months we have summer, it's winter back home! So every time we make a plan to go to India during the summer, we barely get any summer! But the thing is, during that time it is monsoon weather so it just rains ALL DAY LONG which totally sucks! Yet it is still humid and you still feel exhausted..plus the creepy crawlys that pop up during monsoon scare the crap outta me! :( So my experience isn't restricted to only the summer..hope that's ok 😳

It's exhausting to even go out shopping in the summer because it takes up all my energy just getting up and getting ready to go out lol. I also have to wash my hair every 2days there because my hair gets dirty really easy because of all the dirt around and walking around the house without slippers is also a big no-no unless you want brown feet! lol πŸ˜› We get thirsty all the time so big bottles of bisleri water is essential! ;) that reminds me, in one of the local shops in matunga, if you buy a MASSIVE bottle of bisleri for some 120rs and then when you're done with it, if you return the bottle back they gave you 40rs back (for some reason I always found that interesting lol) I also remember that once when buying a normal bottle of water, when asked how much it was, we were told 118rs and then after buying the bottle we realised the sticker on the bottle said 'only 13rs' lol..saala chor kahi ka! :P mum doesn't really trust local water over there and boiling the water and then cooling it is a long process so bisleri is the best option, despite the slightly bitter taste it has to it. πŸ˜• Mum won't let us buy gola from there now either for the same reason 😭 but we're still allowed ganne ka juice and pani puri! πŸ˜ƒ

Never really had a bad experience, I mean I never really get sick as such but almost always eat something dodgy and get a really bad stomach ache for a day or two. But my uncle did catch jaundice when he went there =\

Gosh, I miss the Indian summer! It's so much fun going to matunga, eating the fresh dosa;s off the street, the amazing sandwiches they make, the 4rs peanuts/chane the kids sell, the vada pav and pav bhaji right outside the station..everything is just amazing!
and it's always great fun seeing locals trying to rip us off because we're 'foreign' yet they don't realise that my parents have spent more than 20yrs in the city and can deal with them very well.πŸ˜†

Ahh I can't wait to go back! :D I'll always love Mumbai city..! <3 The city that never sleeps! (literally, you wake up at 2am and you'll find the city buzzing, but the watchman will be asleep at his chair haha.The paan wala's and ice-cream wala's are always read for business no matter what the time hehe)

Oh and I'll never get over the 'horn ok please' signs! πŸ˜†
Not sure I answered your question but it brought back loads of memories so thanks! :)
Dabulls23 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I have never been back to India during summer time since I left for US  in 1975...We usually visit India  only  during winter time....Sorry 😳
Summers in Delhi suck big time!  I still visit during summers though because that is when I go to Dubai on my work tours.  Sneaking in a trip back home is lot more cheaper that way.

There's one plus point though - all those chiffon and cotton salwar kameezes available during summers make shopping a memorable experience.
Dabulls23 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Summers in Delhi suck big time!  I still visit during summers though because that is when I go to Dubai on my work tours.  Sneaking in a trip back home is lot more cheaper that way.

There's one plus point though - all those chiffon and cotton salwar kameezes available during summers make shopping a memorable experience.

Delhi is hot as Hell during summer as I was there for my honeymoon end of june for 10 days delhi-agra...Man I could not take the heat...Winter is cold too...extreme weathers...

😳
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: my_view

From the title of the post I was expecting to read your/Summers reminiscing account of time spent in India with colorful pictures of wonderful beaches of India.
Between this post and the inspirational Thoughts are things post you come across as bi-polar.

Sorry I wanted to talk about the dangers of extreme heat this time round, but also did not want to start a new  this topic. Since this topic had been neglected I decided to "borrow" some space.πŸ˜†

Speaking of beaches in India I would love Goa

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: my_view

I think his thoughts are as polar as a News scroll. I suspect him to be a Reuters news scroll guy. He's always pasting articles like a news scroll.  I guess it is pretty bipolar if you read the new scroll. News scrolls can be bipolar.

Originally posted by: Dabulls23

Delhi is hot as Hell during summer as I was there for my honeymoon end of june for 10 days delhi-agra...Man I could not take the heat...Winter is cold too...extreme weathers...

😳

Now, that heat you just can't blame squarely on my DilliπŸ˜›