Book Biters: without LJS TVD doesn't exist

-dhruvi thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Well the title says it all. Without LJS books, TVD doesn't exist. I know there are only a few book 'biters' in this place but I deff thought this was very much needed for us. Because whether you liked the series or not, the show is based upon the writing of LJS. Anyways, I've noticed there are discussions everywhere in this forum concerning the books. So I thought why not open a thread specifically for book discussions. A place where the readers can talk/vent/rave the books and the curious show loyalties come to get there questions answered etc.

DISCUSSIONS ARE ENCOURAGED, but bear it mind it does not mean bashing. Putting down people/events/writing is simply a no-no. There is a diff between a healthy criticism and total hate.

Oh and one last thing, when discussing something, shall we please head our topic with the title of the book(s) that way it's easier for people to know where that statement comes from and also for those who have not read that book(s) specifically, and want to avoid that, can skip over that post so they are not spoiled.

EX) Book: Midnight
The UK cover is out: followmetoseecover.
Edited by dhruvi. - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Anhdara13 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
brilliant idea Dhruvi!

okay, first things first - things I need to get off my chest. I had actually imagined a cast given the descriptions of the characters in the books. heh. or at least, some of them.

like,
Elena - Dianna Agron (she's gorgeous!)
Bonnie - I rather think Karen Gillan is perfect, she's even Scottish - and got this sort of innocent air around here.
Damon - Ian may be perfect, but Damon's supposed to be shorter than Stefan. It was my one grouse with things. haha.
Stefan - okay, I'm not sure anyone can do it better than Paul (again though, supposed to be taller than Damon!)

I'll post pictures of the girls soon.
chhilt thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Ooh, this thread is gonna be one of my favourites in this forum :D Do any of you like Tyler or Caroline in the books?
sourpuss thumbnail
OMG I HATE Tyler and Caroline in the books! Yet somehow I was TOTALLY looking forward to seeing them, which is why I was sorely disappointed that Caroline wasn't all crazypsychoevil in the show...But they've grown on me though, so I'm glad for that :D Plus, I've learnt to regard the books and the show as two seperate things (and it helps that the show has yummylicious guys *hides*) so it's all good...

Ohh! I was also a little sad that there wasn't any Margaret or Mrs Flowers anymore either...I would have liked to see them...
chhilt thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Yeah! I'm hoping they fit Mrs. Flowers in somewhere.... she was cool! :P I wanted to Tyler to be all mean like in the books but he's pretty mellow so far :P
sourpuss thumbnail
I hope so too! Show!Tyler isn't too bad, once you can get past the whole print-to-screen-means-awesome-stuff-gets-changed thing...

Ohhh what I wished they would have shown in the show, though, was the Stefan-Elena relationship that they had in the books...I thought what they did in the show was way too Twilight-y and it didn't have the same zing! to their relationship as they had in the books...youknowwhatimean?
Anhdara13 thumbnail
considering the fact that I adore show!TylerandCaroline, I'm pretty glad they didn't keep to the books. Though if they had, I guess we'd never know these Ty and Caro so it'd be fine. I just hope they don't go all carzypsychoevil over the next season. I'd be distraught.

but the books were awesome. I hope they bring in Klaus and Mrs Flowers - they made the books more interesting. I'm glad there was no Margerat - as adorable as she was, she was basically not there.
-dhruvi thumbnail

Radz- I saw the show first which kinda got in my way of my imagination. But I agree on Dianna being the perfect Elena, I imagined her as well. The newer cover with Elena even looks like DA.I really tried picturing a redhead Bonnie, but I kept seeing Kat. The height issue is the only the a problem for Ian/Paul besides that I think they were born to play this role.I'll be back for the other roles, but here is my perfect Meredith: http://blogs.levante-emv.com/series-tv/files/2009/03/minka.jpg

I disliked book Caro and Ty but I was too looking forward to seeing that kind of Caro/Ty. But not saying I don't like this verison, because I actually do like these two better in a way. Though I do hope we get to see that bad side too at times throught the series. I love Mrs.Flowers, I was so disappointed to when I read the books and didn't see her at all in the show. Margo was cool and all but I agree she isn't ness.

I don't like how they executed S/E relationship at all, doesn't do their love any justice. In the books they are so epic! Even if Elena falters over Damon for a bit, it is nothing compared to what she feels for Stefan. In the show it seems like S/E is quickie and she could love Damon the same as Stefan if not more...

Klaus so needs to be in the show. The way I see the season finale breakdowns:
- 2 Elena turns into a vamp (or is hinted for the S3)
- 3 Katherine dilema starts, her evilness is shown ( and  Damon is proven innocent?)
- 4 Kitsune
Or somewhere along those lines, whadya think?
Anhdara13 thumbnail
okay, Minka is an alright Meredith, but I kinda pictured someone more like maybe Summer Glau or a younger Eliza Dushku for that role. Someone tough, you know?

and I agree - the way they portrayed S/E in the show was nowhere near as epic as in the books. I think the breakdown would be something like follows, actually -

2: Katherine - she's already in Mystic, so I think she'd now be playing around with the brothers and Elena and Elena's friends. Plus, the beginnings of Tyler's werewolf storyline. Hopefully they don't have him going all evil - maybe show hints of him having moments where he's all dark (a la Sam Winchester in Supernatural) but not all out evil. Plus, maybe intro of Klaus.

3: Klaus and OldOnes storyline - it'd be an interesting concept to see played out on screen, especially if they follow the books, with Elena and all.

4: Kitsune
Salz. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
yes it would hun, if they were following the book story.