Fashion and Beauty

Drugstore Or Name Brand ?

.ava thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Hey Everyone!

I was wondering which you guys prefer, drugstore makeup or department store makeup? Honestly I prefer drugstore. I find there are products that are better for me. However there are certain things that I like to only buy from name brand (well only MAC)

Drugstore products I like better:

Mascara: Since we're only supposed to keep mascara for only 3 months, I find drugstore mascaras better because it hurts your wallet less. Also all the MAC mascaras I tried ( I tried all of them) all clumped and I hate when that happens. I like Maybelline mascaras, they don't clump and they do wonders to my lashesπŸ˜› my recent fav is the new "Falsies Mascara"

Eyeliner: I don't know why but I just like drugstore eyeliners better. Some of my favs are Covergirl's "Liquiline Blast", Maybelline's "EyeStudio Lasting Drama" gel liner and Annabelle's "Liquid Eyeliner". I like to have 3 different types of liners (pencil,gel and liquid) and they have to be in black ( don't do color liners)

Foundation: I'm not sure why but MAC foundations make me break out🀒. So I tried Rimmel London's "Stay Matte Clarifying Matte Foundation" and fell in love with it. It doesnt make me break out, and it's not heavyπŸ˜ƒ. I like to set it with Maybelline's "Mineral Power Powder Foundation". It's also not heavy, like it's not cakey and that's really important for me. I also heard it's better to set liquid foundation with a light powder foundation.

Lip Gloss: I love lip gloss and my fav lip gloss are from Maybelline's "Shiny Licious Lip Gloss", Covergirls's "Wetslicks Fruit Spritzers Lipgloss",Wet N Wild's "Mega Slicks Lip Gloss" L'Oreal's " Colour Juice Sheer Juicy Lip Gloss" and NYX's "Sheer Tubes"

MAC products I like better:

Lipstick: I only wear peachy, coral,lipstick and I like the colors that MAC has. My favs are "Beachbond"( from the "To The Beach collection), "Vegas Volt" "Dressmaker,Dressmaker" "Ravishing  and "Ramblin' Rose"

Lip Care: Lips have to be protected to so I like to the "Tinted Lip Conditioner SPF 15". Obviously my fav is "Gentel Coral" ( I'm obsessed with having coral lips😳)

Blush: I like how there are a bunch of different shades to choose from. Drugstores usually have the same few shades ( with minor changes). My favs are "Peaches", "Bi-Tone","Rhapsody in Two", "Gentle" and "Instant Chic".

Eyeshadow: I only buy Pigments (and a few Paint Pots) from MAC because I have three eyeshadow palettes from Coastal Scents πŸ˜ƒ.

So what about your guys, which is better in your opinion? What are some of your favorite things?

AvaπŸ˜›

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NYbabyyx0 thumbnail
personally i think that everyone raves about MAC for no particular reason because although most of their products are amazing, there are better brands out there. I'm not saying i dislike MAC, i love it but urban decay, benefit, Yves Saint Laurent, NARS, and bobbi brown are equally as great if not better =]

i do own a lot of MAC eyeshadows (love the nuetruals, all that glitters, arena, gorgeous gold, cork, twinks, espresso, amber lights, mulch) but i've discovered that  NYX (trios, brown eyes pallet) has great quality shadows for a fraction of the price and coastal scents is a great cheaper alternative (78 pallet). Most of my everyday face products are from MAC such as my studio fix, MSF, concealer, etc. but i love NARS blushes (Torrid, orgasm, amour). they're amazing quality and show up on many skintones =]
as for mascara...i dont like MAC mascaras at all
i love Dior diorshow black out mascara and covergirl lashblast fusion i also love bad gal lash
i hate MAC lip glasses, and dazzle glasses, but i love MAC lipsticks (Myth, pretty please, creme de nude- as you can see i love nude lips)
i think drugstore brands have amazing lipgloss, especially revlon
for eyeliners, i dont really mind...i like the MUFE eyeliners but drugstore brands are also amazing
i love the L'Oreal HIP line and i buy my pigments at CCO's =]
Edited by NYbabyyx0 - 13 years ago
.Roshni. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I have products from both drugstores and name brands and I love the ones I have

Face:  'Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer To Go', 'Urban Decay Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20' ( For the summer, it's better than foundation)  'Rimmel London Stay Matte Clarifying Matte Foundation' ( Thank you Ava for buying it for me and forcing me to use itπŸ˜† I love it). I also have 'bareMinerals SPF 25 Mineral Veil'.

Eyes:  'Coastal Scents 88 Piece Eyeshadow Palette','Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 Eyeshadow Palette', 'Coastal Scents 88 Warm Eyeshadow Palette' ( neutral colors). 'Too Faced Shadow Insurance', 'Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion' ( I love both of those eyeshadow primers). 'L'Oreal Telescopic Explosion Carbon Black Mascara' ( the one with the sperical brush),'Covergirl Lashblash Fusion Mascara'. L'Oreal Le Khol Pencil Smooth Denfining Eyeliner','Covergirl Lineexact Liquid Liner',' Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner' ( I like drugstore mascaras and eyeliners). I also like 'Mac Paint Pot', 'Mac Pigments' and some 'Mac Eyeshadow" ( I'm really into corals/peachy/ golds)

Lips:  'NARS Pure Sheer SPF Lip Treatment', 'Stila Lip and Cheek Stain', 'Maybelline Sine Sensational Lip Gloss','NARS Lip Gloss' ( my fav is Giza),' MAC Tinted Lip Conditioner SPF15' ( my fav are Gentle Coral and Plum Perfect), 'MAC Tinted Lipglass' (in Lychee Luxe,Feeling Dreamy and Pink Lemonade) and 'Mac Lipstick'(in Vegas Volt and See Sheer)

Cheeks: 'Stila Lip and Cheek Stain', 'NARS Blush', 'Tarte Cheek Stain' 'NARS Blush-Super Orgasm', 'Benefit Cosmetics CORALista',  'Benefits Cosmetics Sugarbomb','MAC Mineralize Blush', 'MAC Mineralize Blush Duo''MAC Powder Blush' and 'Annabelle Mineral Powder Blush'

As you can see I'm more into drugstore brands when it comes to eyeliner and mascara.

Roshni=)
Edited by angel_83191 - 13 years ago
.ava thumbnail
^ I tried a cream blush once and it was nothing, like there was no pigmentation. Urgh I can't remember which brand it was ut I remember it was a complete disappointment. Oh well maybe I just chose a bad color. I'll give it another shot, "MAC here I come"😊

Ava
Jiannax143 thumbnail
to be honest, i can never just stick to either, i change my routine every couple of weeks because i get bored lol
my skin doesn't break out easily at all, even when i use MAC's studio fix foundation
lately for the summer i've been using benefit a lot because it's one of my go to summer brands. i love their you rebel light tinted moisturizer.and confessions of a concealaholic concealer and i think that studio fix powder plus foundation overdoes it in the summer time especially in southern cali where it's way too hot so i like my MSF natural

on my eyes i love neutrals...i don't really have a preference as far as a primer goes. I'll use the urban decay primer potion, the regular formula, or in the color sin... i love 2 faced shadow insurance along with MAC paintpots and NYX jumbo pencils..they're all great
most days, for work and what not i love my chanel quad in number 14 mystic eyes =] it has your all over lid color, crease, outer corner, and highlight, i do own quite a lot of pallets from coastal scents but i used to work for MAC and i have a lot of MAC pallets as well

for eyeliner i prefer urban decay, their eyeliners are great, for gel liner i like bobbi brown, and for liquid i love Loreal Lineur Intense- Carbon Black
my favorite lipgloss is turkish delight from NARS...i don't mind MAC lipglasses but their formula is just soo sticky
i love nude lips, they looks great whether you have dramatic eye make up or you don't, yves saint laurent also has some great lipsticks
my favorite bronzer is NARS laguna and i love MAC blushes, NARS blushes are amazing
I'm all over the place lol but on my cheeks i always wear my Dior highlighter in amber diamonds, it just adds a healthy glow to your face
for mascara i prefer Dior, as well as covergirl
and sometimes i just like falsies, they look great and jazz up any look

one thing that you can never find at a drug store though, is some fix+, can't live without it lol
as for brushes, i love MAC and sigma, i dont think any other brushes are as great, there are a few out there but they shed way too much in my opinion

Edited by Jiannax143 - 13 years ago
Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
New discussion of the week!
Its funny how i was researching this just a few days ago πŸ˜†

Well, i have never bought make-up from Mac or Sephora or anything.
I have tried out a lot of things from there but some things are quite expensive & my mom thinks i do not need make-up from there since she's paying for it πŸ˜†

I usually get drugstore brands because they're cheaper & easier for me to buy.

I use Maybelline eyeliner (Define a line)
Covergirl mascara- lashblastluxe
And i have various eyeshadow sets that were gifted to me by friends :)

I see that some of you have costal scents palette's....i was thinking of buying an 88 palette from either costal scents or bhcosmetics but i cannot decide on which one! Matte or Shimmer? I've been looking them up on youtube and google for 2 weeks now! πŸ˜†

Im 16 & i am going to be a senior this year so i thought its high time i go for more than just doing simple eye make-up. πŸ˜†
And  my mom doesnt really care--its just that a lot of things are expensive
& my dad thinks i look "ugly" with make-up on. I dont get it haha
he says "go natural" & all that.

On the lookout for a good blush too, i was thinking Nars :D
The best reviews so far have been on Nars-Orgasm
Jiannax143 thumbnail
jess! =]
NARS orgasm is great! i defintiely recommend it
i own both the Matte and shimmer palettes but i love my Matte palette more cause honestly a lot of the eye shadows in the palette don't look like their matte, some of them do have some shimmer and since you're still in high school i think matte would be more appropriate for a daytime look
i purchased mine off of coastal scents =]
ahaha aww all dads are like that
Edited by Jiannax143 - 13 years ago
.ava thumbnail

Jess, for the coastal scents pallettes I would go with the matte palette first. Some of the colors are satin so they're not completely matte! Also if you buy the matte palette then you can always add a lil' bit of shimmer to it for a shimmery look. However if you buy the shimmer palette you won't be able to turn it into matte.

That's what I did, first a bought the matte palette then sometimes I added a bit of shimmer and when I saw I really liked it as a shimmery shadow I got the shimmer palette.

Hope I helped!

Ava
Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Yay, finally someone i know is telling me which is better! πŸ˜†
Thanks Ava and Jia!
Its kinda hard to go watch youtube videos and everyones like "they're both great, get both!"
My mom said i can get one πŸ˜† but i'm paying for it (well  she is with the credit card & then i'm paying her with cash)

I was thinking of matte too...they also have some satin colors with a slight shimmer.

For brushes, i was thinking of starting out with ecotool's brushes. They're cheap and have great reviews. Plus if this is my first time using/buying brushes, it'll better for me to start out with the decent priced ones & then when i use make-up more i'll get the better/expensive ones :)

I feel so inexperienced πŸ˜†
I mean, i know how to use everything & i know quite a lot about make-up, its just that i dont wear much. Only the eyes & sometimes blush.

Edited by Jess. - 13 years ago
.ava thumbnail
Originally posted by: Jiannax143

to be honest, i can never just stick to either, i change my routine every couple of weeks because i get bored lol
my skin doesn't break out easily at all, even when i use MAC's studio fix foundation
lately for the summer i've been using benefit a lot because it's one of my go to summer brands. i love their you rebel light tinted moisturizer.and confessions of a concealaholic concealer and i think that studio fix powder plus foundation overdoes it in the summer time especially in southern cali where it's way too hot so i like my MSF natural

on my eyes i love neutrals...i don't really have a preference as far as a primer goes. I'll use the urban decay primer potion, the regular formula, or in the color sin... i love 2 faced shadow insurance along with MAC paintpots and NYX jumbo pencils..they're all great
most days, for work and what not i love my chanel quad in number 14 mystic eyes =] it has your all over lid color, crease, outer corner, and highlight, i do own quite a lot of pallets from coastal scents but i used to work for MAC and i have a lot of MAC pallets as well

for eyeliner i prefer urban decay, their eyeliners are great, for gel liner i like bobbi brown, and for liquid i love Loreal Lineur Intense- Carbon Black
my favorite lipgloss is turkish delight from NARS...i don't mind MAC lipglasses but their formula is just soo sticky
i love nude lips, they looks great whether you have dramatic eye make up or you don't, yves saint laurent also has some great lipsticks
my favorite bronzer is NARS laguna and i love MAC blushes, NARS blushes are amazing
I'm all over the place lol but on my cheeks i always wear my Dior highlighter in amber diamonds, it just adds a healthy glow to your face
for mascara i prefer Dior, as well as covergirl
and sometimes i just like falsies, they look great and jazz up any look

one thing that you can never find at a drug store though, is some fix+, can't live without it lol
as for brushes, i love MAC and sigma, i dont think any other brushes are as great, there are a few out there but they shed way too much in my opinion

I love the You Rebel tinted moisturizer! It's my summer must have

Ava