Home Coming *A short, romantic story*

EatPrayLove thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
 Little puffs of smooth grey clouds danced gaily on the hitherto spotlessly blue sky. The wind blew from here to there, swinging the trees on the roadside so that they produced eerie and exciting noises. The air was cool and fresh, filled with a pleasantness that made Raj fall in love with himself, in love with the world, in love with everything. It made him want to get on the streets and dance and sing and go crazy with excitement, to shed all inhibitions, to abandon all distress and forget all things that hurt him. He felt his own self, his own impulsive nature, his own thoughts reflected in this wild weather.

But today the weather and its glorious beauty held no value for him, and he was unaffected by them as a child when asleep is by his favorite toy.

For today was no ordinary day.  Today he was so content with his own self that he desired no further contentment and from no other source. Today his mind, heart and soul was so high with the hopes of a promising future that he did not have any feeling for the dull present.Today he was going back,after a long and tedious wait of two years.

Coming soon, sweetheart, he said to Priya silently, coming soon

The war with Pakistan had started.

"So, you're going tomorrow", Priya asked, though she knew the painful answer very well, praying quietly that he may be safe and alive at the end of the war.

He nodded his head and looked into her eyes, took her hands in his and said, "Yes". His eyes, deep, brown ,soulful and disturbed, penetrated her's so fully that she felt like crying. She could see he felt like that too. She looked down to suppress her tears, and then faced him, forcing a smile upon her lips.

"Don't cry about it, you fool!", she said teasingly, battling her eyelids hard to prevent the tears from draining on to her face.

He pressed her hands tightly and fondled them, suddenly feeling scared, and not knowing the reason.

"I'll miss you", he said, leaning forward to her and holding her hands even tighter, "I'll miss you too much, sweetheart!".

They hugged, feeling each others tears break through their eyes,clutching each other in fear and sorrow.

Raj was smiling to himself, staring blankly, unthinkingly at the trees, roads and houses that passed them. His journey was about to end and he was as excited and as pleased with life as was possible. He closed his eyes, remembering the first time they had met, that day so old and still so dear. He recalled with pleasure their dates and he thought, amused, about the time when they had told their parents.
With a startled jolt he opened his eyes. What he had seen just now was hideous, unearthly.

He looked about himself tensely. He grabbed a water bottle and drank in large gulps until his breath was restored. He consoled himself that there was no need to worry and turned to look out of the window. Like a ghost that terrible image sprang before his eyes. In panic he turned his head, shook it, clutched his hair and closed his eyes, but the image refused to abandon his scared mind.

He was not superstitious at all, he never really believed in intuitions and he could not make out why this was happening. Priya was crying. Crying so softly, so piteously, so much that the image seemed real.Her sobs were impossibly sad, so that he himself felt like crying. Her tears seemed to carry a message which he could not decipher.
He knew this was not a fragment of the past. He had never seen Priya crying, she was too proud to cry in front of a man. Her tears were always private, though she shared her sorrows. This was what scared him.

"Why am I seeing her like that? I can't make it out.What is happening?" he thought over and over again, seeing in fury and fear the ghastly picture, losing his patience, losing his courage.

He closed his eyes again, putting his head in his hands, trying to suppress the headache that was beginning to form. But all in vain. Each nerve of his body was stretched and tight. Something was wrong with Priya, and he realized in sinking anger that there was nothing he could do about it.

The image did not elude him for even a second throughout the journey. She was constantly before his eyes, sometimes wailing, sometimes sobbing, but always upset, always calling him, always deathly, frightening.

The whole of the remaining journey he spent in drinking, so furiously and so much that the fear, the unreality of his images strengthened even more. Now he was drunk, very drunk, tired and weary. His head was as burdensome as though it was too full of painful things, his heart was beating slower now but painfully still, and he could still see that strange illusion.

He laid back his aching head and whispered, "What is it Priya? What has happened?" and cried.
When he reached town, he made straight for Priya's flat. She lay there, wrapped up in white, her usually pretty face distorted with a strange pain, her eyes closed.
There was no doubt in his mind. No first moments of confusion. No initial numbness. He knew it immediately and he felt dead immediately.
His mother, dabbing her eyes with her dupatta, came running to him. "They dropped a bomb at the market. She-Priya-she....beta, please don't cr-" and burst into tears.

Raj went straight to his room and cried hard. He did not think or do anything other than pouring the pain of his heart through his eyes. He was scared no longer, not shocked either, but only sad, so intensely sad, so hurt, so lonely, that all he could do now was cry . All of his body was paining badly, his eyes burnt with crying so long and his ears rang with the memory her voice. He did not eat or sleep or move the entire day. The world had collapsed, the reason for his life and happiness had vanished.

It was midnight, and he was still crying, lost, crestfallen, hazed, trying to think up some way to get her back, and failing.
Suddenly,he looked up.

He had seen a vision again. But this time she was not crying. She was happy, her face was glowing with her smiles. She seemed to be calling him. He felt better at once. It was so relieving to see her safe, alive, comfortable. The image stayed with him through the night, and he spent all of it talking to the image, telling her again and again how much he loved her, how he adored her mischievous eyes, how each quality of her's, each habit was loved by him, how he could do anything in the world to be with her.
Those were the most pleasurable moments of his life. He relived all those moments of love they had shared, the conversations they had enjoyed.
And also, that night he arrived at the decision. He had to do it and he was surprised at it, because he had always prided himself on courage. But now he did not think it cowardly. In fact, he did not give his decision a second thought, being what he was.
"I have to go to my real home. And, I can live only where you are, sweetheart!"
The next day they met in heaven. They embraced each other warmly, crying, laughing, joking, scolding all at the same time. Priya ran her fingers through his hair, basking in the warmth and asurance of his arms, looked at him lovingly time and again. Eventually they pulled back from each other, both of them breathless, happy beyond words, and after such a long time too.

"Hey" she smiled,her eyes filling with tears that she let fall on her face for the first time, "that was a pretty bad homecoming you had down there"
Raj looked at her, his deep brown eyes twinkling and his face finally back to its usual naughty self.
"You bet" he said affectionately, and hugging her again, he whispered in her ear, "and, you know what, this one is so much the better"
They hugged each other tighter still and wept happily.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope u guys liked it :)
Edited by mayur16 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sharky8 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
nice. the heaven part was really cute.
EatPrayLove thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sharky8

nice. the heaven part was really cute.

thank you so much. means a lot to me :)
-Eva- thumbnail

Finally I got time to read your short story. I already had a quick flip over it yesterday, bu soon realized that this is one of those stories one needs to read with time.

I liked it, very, very much. Beautifully written and very touching. Looking forward to read more of you😊

Edited by eva2 - 13 years ago
EatPrayLove thumbnail

Originally posted by: eva2

Finally I got time to read your short story. I already had a quick flip over it yesterday, bu soon realized that this is one of those stories one needs to read with time.

I liked it, very, very much. Beautifully written and very touching. Looking forward to read more of you😊

thank you SO SO SO much. i'll definitely try to write more such stories in future. :)