What's your definition of 'copied/inspired/style?'

mimi0295 thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

he ll o  pe o p le

( :

How is everyone doing this lovely [insert time of day here] ? πŸ˜ƒ
I'm pretty sure everyone here knows how cool our A/S team is *coughs and pops collar* 😎 You see, we're so extremely cool that we're slowing down global warming 😲😎 If that aint cool, then I don't know what is!
SAVE THE POLAR BEARS BEBE!!!!!!

*Mitesh and Anu glare from afar*

OKAAAY! Soooo, before my two lovely lovely co-DT members decide to kick me off the team for stalling, let's get straight onto the point, shall we?

Anu, Mitesh and I have been thinking and thinking and literally busting our brain cells wondering how we can make A/S THE place to be. We were all wondering how we can make this forum the most peaceful, happy and (dont tell anyone else this) THE BEST FORUM ON ALL OF I-F!
 All of you are more than welcome to drop any of us a PM with suggestions and concerns at any time btw!

& in order to achieve this, we want our A/Sians (that means you) to have an input in the rules we set forth. When it comes to the term "copied" "style" and "inspired" we all have different interpetations of what the definition is.

Because of this, when a problem arises.. it's usually a big deal because of all the different view points we have.

For example, if MemberA noticed a signature made by MemberB which was similar to theirs, they may think MemberB copied their work. MemberB may argue that he/she was 'INSPIRED' by MemberA's style. Now, for obvious reasons, the DT will get involved here. This is where the 'fun' (totally sarcastic here) begins. Both members will want justice and we want so badly to give them both what they deserve.. but the arguement will go both ways unless and until we have a group definition of what the terms 'copied, inspired, and style' means.

Therefore, Anu, Mitesh and I have decided as a team that we're going ask all of you what these terms mean. As a group, we will make up one solid definition of what each term means so that when problems do arise, we won't have to hate on each other for whatever the ultimate decision happens to be.

questions to think about:

How would you define and differentiate between 'copied work' and 'inspired work?'

What is style? Can 'style' be copied or inspired by?

We don't think that this has ever been done before, so this is going to be a MAJOR experiment for all of us. Let's make this successful A/Sians.. because if this works, we will be the founders of a happier I-F 😳

A n u. M i m i. M i t e s h
Edited by mimi0295 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Anhdara13 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
This is absolutely brilliant guys. I think we need a shared definition so that we can all be happy around these parts.

For me, I think 'copied' should be used when it's almost exactly the same, the sig. Let's say memberA made a siggy on HC in a particular style, using particular pictures. memberB then makes a HC siggy using the same pics and the same style - that would be copying because it's almost exactly alike.

Inspired by style, that would be when the siggy's style is similar, but credit is given as well. The photos used would be different, maybe a dif texture is used, or colouring. There will be differences between memberA and memberB's siggies, and credit will be given to the original.

That's how I see it anyways. I think personally, it's an honour to 'inspire' someone. and if someone 'copies' from you, well then, they think you're good! It's not alright, obviously, but I'd take it as a compliment. xD
sanober. thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 4
I think everybody here is  well aware the difference btw inspired and copyin. Inspiration is the thing when a person tries to use similar style of a maker whom she/he is inspired from, with giving credit to her but the one who copies always runs away from the truth 🀣

ok i will stop for now.

Hmmm, let me think for a moment... πŸ€”

Will be back later on ...πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by Sano88 - 13 years ago
First of all Mimi....Superb post...I mean thats the uniqueness of the A/S Forum...the way u guys start the topics is just amazing and unique...πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘..

Now coming to the topic...I guess inspiration is like using the same textures n brushes from the person  u have been inspired by and using for ur own sigs...whereas copying is an exact reproudction of the smae signature with the same style,same pics etc etc...But just wanted to say...Ppl here use PSP,Photoshop n other softwares..n most softwares have the same features n the same brushes are found online...so sometimes..it does happen that some sigs look same due to the brushes,effects,etc used...but unintentionally...For that...we cant say whether its copied or inspiredπŸ˜ƒ
Mitesh.P thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
Thanks Mimi for putting this incredible and light hearted thread which is based on such a serious note.

It will defo help us to help the members if we get an idea of what people perceive these words as and like you said make a better healthy forum.

It will be nice to see what members have to say and hopefully we can work together instead of against each other when it comes to copying.πŸ˜†
spiritcrimson thumbnail
I think I'll ditto what Radz said.

To "inspire" someone is a great thing. Because they might use a similar style, but they give credit. And they do add some of their own modifications in it.

"Copying" would be like literally the SAME. And that is unacceptable. Because if people start copying, no originality remains in the creativity of the members. I mean, you develop styles through experimenting, and I think that's the main purpose of A/S. So yeah, this was my  2 cents. I know I didn't make sense, but oh wellπŸ˜†
mimi0295 thumbnail
@Radz- Thank you so much for replying back here! *blows you a cyber kiss* I shall wait outside your window tonight ;)
🀣

@shounak-rijul1 - Thanks so much! I'm glad to hear that we're a unique forum! That's like music to my ears! :D

@Mitesh- Aweh thank you! *hugs* I need colour to keep myself focused LOL so I'll take no credit for that.

Okay, so from the gist of the feedback we're getting, would it be safe to say that right now, we've got a pretty good idea of how being inspired and copying something is different? Basically, copying is when you use the same pictures/textures/text/brushes (maybe some alterations, but the siggy is overall the same as the original?)
Whereas being inspired is taking something about the original siggy that you like (like a brush or font maybe) and using it on your own?

Since I'm also a 'member' here, I think I agree with Radz here. For me, I LOVE it when people are inspired by my work. It doesn't bug me at all actually when people make similar stuff, but that's just something I've learnt to live with and be okay with.
For me, copying is when the alignment of pictures, colouring, text, font, brushes and all of that is used in a similar way to the original sig or avi. Being inspired is more like using similar colouring or text. But overall, the signature is more unique and has your own individuality in it.
desigrl05 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
This is really awesome guys!

I think there are a good handful of members here who take the entire 'inspiration' thing a bit too far... I can post examples but would rather not slander them in public :)

I think for one an inspiration is rightly given if a hint of the taste of the Member's A creation is felt ... but when it gets to a point where if taken out the copyright tags and shown to regular members people would think they're made by the same creator..that I would call copy/overly inspired...

I think if credit is rightly given then that somewhat releases the negativity of the Member B doing it but still if its a bit much and original member A is hurt then feelings of both have to be taken into consideration na

My thinking that there should be an open court: maybe between the DT's of here and other places on IF... just crop out the tags and show it to them to get an unbiased result and it'll be better to know wether the large scale thinks its copied or just an inspiration

my two cents :)
curledup thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
bonjour mes amis

loving the post mimi, I am sure any graphic designer has felt this way once or twice..

My definition on the copy and inspire style has to be,

that we all go round looking at others shops e.t.c e.t.c and we may see a signature that we like, and feel inspired to recreate it [in our style] but as much as we try we can never get it identical or the same because that member created that particular signaure, therefore we feel inspired to make it in a simular style. Hope that covered the inspiration part.

Now copying, is simply copying so if eveerrything was the same then yes I would call it copying but they maybe a slight difference in texture and colouring

XD Aashifa
notfadedaway thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3

PERFECT topic for THIS forum!

WHY? because on IF, this is VERYYYY commmon..
especially thesedays..

copied means if you do the same coloring..same kind of texture(not same but similar)
BUT USE the same style..

inspired means ONLY style - if you copy someone's style..means that you are inspired..
BUTTT they are types of inspired..some ppl get tooooo OVERLY inspired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
because then they make exactly the same siggs..as you..

style - if you like someone's style, thats good..
and its ok to make a sigg with the similar style(ONLY ONCE)..BUT NOT ALWAYSSS!!..
if you take someone's style..atleast write..
"inspired by ..... "

some ppl even copy how ppl write text on their siggs..
?? WOWW! ;O
some ppl just don't wanna use their brains and be creativee..
they rather prefer copying..

andd many members have QUIT IF because of that..
and there ARE some ppl who will continue to do soo..
*ahemm*

&&& last but not the least..
some ppl even copy the layout..like the first pg of their GALL..
cmonnnn folks..
you could betta than that? ;p

Edited by ayeshaaa. - 13 years ago