What's your definition of 'copied/inspired/style?' - Page 4

Posted: 13 years ago
^^

I would like to an an addendum to my post above, in view of the important point Sabii mentioned.

True, I too do not mind when people are inspired obtusely or even if they copy work precisely.  However it is NOT about the 'creator's' like or dislike.  It is about guiding towards light.  For when we turn the sight away from black and white, blurring lines, then to quote turnstall 'colours bleed into one that doesn't have a name!'

Do not misunderstand me I am not asking for an authoritarian cage but rather I am asking that people be their own Judge, Jury and Executioner. 

Plagiarism is NOT inspiration, just as coincidence is NOT copying.  I have been inspired to create work, which before my pen reaches paper I see formed into beauty by another.  Uncannily copied from my mind, to which I conclude maybe my inspiration was not as bright as I deemed it so, (not to insult the other creator either!)  This has happened so many times that I realize that sometimes same does NOT mean copied!

Therefore the judge MUST be our own selves, for ONLY we know what we 'copied' and what is inspiration's heir.

It falls upon and unfortunately for some falters upon 'intentions.'   If a person falls in love, becomes enamoured by beauty and wishes to cherish its substance, seeking to love it by understanding its form, then when they 'copy' the art, they will undoubtedly grant credit, for their intention is love and light.  If a person wants glory alone, then their actions will grant only humiliation, not humility.

Forgive me if I spoke above my rank.  Please feel free to disagree, I may thereby learn something of my own hue.

Love Sabah
Wonderful discussion. I've been away for ages, so I'm sorry I don't keep up. But I'd love to chime in on this question.

I think it's a great compliment to any designer when they see that others are inspired by their work. First of all, designing, like any creative work, is one that takes a lot of attention to detail. And particularly doing stuff for free, just out of passion or interest, is quitely honestly a labour of love. The thing that keeps IF creators going is the appreciation they get, on top of the fact that it is rewarding to bring something into the world that you think is lovely. I think the quality of thoughtful work always, always, shows.

So many designers on this site really push the envelope with their creativity, and that's one of the reasons I'm proud to be one among them.

That said, there are always some problems. First is that the nature of this site does not truly open up a lot of creativity. That is to say, that most of our audience is centered around TV/entertainment, so our designs are limited to promoting artists/shows. Not that that is a bad thing, but it's definitely a limitation. Secondly, there are definitely people who don't appreciate the work that goes into designing because they copy the work.

The difference between copying and being inspired is that there is no thought behind copying. There is little creativity involved in copying. It's just seeing something you like and taking it. Inspiration is taking something someone made, even if you use portions of it, and turning it into something of your own. I think it helps even the original artist, because another artist took some part of your work, or some idea in your work, and took it to another level. Maybe you won't always agree that they improved upon it, but the idea is that it changing and transforming through another person's mind. There's something very cool about that. Our work goes around this site in some form or another, someone we don't even know might see it, and be inspired and do something somewhere else, or even within IF that takes it to another level.

Great artists have been inspired by other great artists. Without inspiration, we'd all be stuck in a vaccum. If we start to police how people generate work, then I think we'd be stuck with low standards.
Sorry, have something to add. I don't mean to spam.

I think the question of credit is very tricky. In my creations page, I have listed the resources I use, but not by artist. Part of the reason is, I have a huge collection of downloaded textures, photoshop brushes, fonts, etc. that I can't always keep track of the artists. And sometimes what I do with them combines these products and changes them a lot that it's barely recognizable where it comes from.

But I've always strictly followed the copyright/fair use terms of the original artists. Some people say you cannot use it at all without their permission, and I don't. I don't even download such fonts/brushes/textures if I can't use them freely. Other say okay for non-commercial use. Other artists (like ones on deviantart) request that you show them your work. I've done that sometimes, just to connect with someone who I think does really cool work. But I don't post their name here everytime I use their work. I think there is an understanding around that.

I also don't expect others to give me credit if something I use inspires them. If they are copying/pasting what I've done, then yes, credit me, sure, but if they are not copying/pasting and they are making their own thing based on something they see in my work, I don't expect credit. If I had to do the same thing, I would have to credit a billion things. I'd have to credit something someone said, or some image I saw while I was in the subway, some reflection of light I saw in someone's photograph. There is just no way to track all these things.

I think we all have to accept that all of our work, no matter how inspired, always takes off from other things, and it will be impossible to credit the thousand things that go into something we make.
Edited by --arti-- - 13 years ago
Mimi this is such a wonderful post and everyone's replies have been just amazing, I have got to read so many different opinions and views. Sabah you are a gem for giving me this link.Thank you so much. I don't have much to say as of now, but if we are to dwell into a difference between an inspired and a copied piece of work. 

For me something inspired is as simple as (a) giving due credit to the original creator (b) its about adding one's own touch to that work, be it in the form of an explanation, design or any style but any one looking should be able to identify the difference and know that it is not the same piece of work. I would think of some better way to put it later.

Inspiration is something beautiful on its own but provided the clear lines and limits are respected :)
Thnk U mimi for this post actually i was wondering the same but as i read all the comments i cameto a conclusion that..

Copy means like if a person copies everything well with a minute change like copy the texts pics coloring..nd just change the font or something or may be texture..This can be considered as COPYING

And

Inspired is like
Just make the same style with diff pic diff text ..And credit the original maker in this case MAKER A :)

Lol this is wat i understood :P

Plzz correct if m wrong😃

Love Ya
Pari
Originally posted by ..NiyaPari..

Inspired is like
Just make the same style with diff pic diff text ..And credit the original maker in this case MAKER A :)

oh well .. this is copying too ...

be it a style, layout, texture or anything .. it is said to be copied or imitated if its not you're innovation. i would say, get inspired to create something of you're won.. something possibly unique which is worth admiration .

allloott of people just copy and forget to credit.

apparently, it takes a hell lott of time, work and innovation to bring an icon/banner into form and its awful to see someone else copy it or claim it as their own.

say nooo to plagiarism.
Edited by ilovecolors - 13 years ago