Travel

Top 10 Unusual Islands I world

andrwclark thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Each island is unique in its own way and ratings can't really apply. The islands listed were chosen in part for their obscurity.

Bouvet Island
It is almost completely covered with ice.  Bouvet's claim to fame is that it is the most remote island in the world.

North Sentinel Island
it is populated by one of the few remaining "uncontacted peoples" in the world. The Sentinelese are highly xenophobic with frequently firing arrows at boats and helicopters that come too close to the island

Pitcairn Island
Pitcairn Island, with only fifty or so inhabitants, is the least populous and most remote jurisdiction in the world

Palmyra Atoll
Palmyra is actually a collection of small islets, located roughly halfway between Hawaii and Samoa. The largest, Cooper Island, is privately owned and administered by The Nature Conservancy.

Howland Island
Howland is now a nature preserve and is probably best known for being the stop on Amelia Earhart's around-the-world flight at which she never arrived.

Spitsbergen
Due to the danger of polar bears, whenever one travels anywhere on Spitsbergen outside of Longyearbyen, one is required by law to carry a rifle.

Navassa Island
The United States annexed it in 1857, and spent the next few decades mining its extensive guano deposits.

Monuriki Island
Monuriki is a small, uninhabited island in the Mamanuca Island group in Fiji. Monuriki would not ordinarily be noteworthy for any particular reason.

Attu Island
Attu has a population of twenty, all of whom live and work in Attu Station, a United States Coast Guard LORAN (Long Range Aid to Navigation) facility

Ni'ihau

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

andrwclark thumbnail
Your welcome, I will be there.
steave thumbnail
Excellent, great job, thanks for giving this information, i didn't know about that, really great information and it is helpful for all people,
debaditiweb thumbnail
each and every Island is unusual and unique in its own way.. so you have described it beautifully...😳
rajeshn thumbnail
Socotra a island off coast Yemen with it's strange diversity of  flora and Fauna, recognised by the (UNESCO) as a world natural heritage site in July 2008
shivam7 thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Those Island's are really unique and has its own way. The description which you have provided here of each island is very nice, i was looking for that, thanks for that information.