Sensational South

Remakes -- What's your opinion ?

supercool3 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 13 years ago
Hello to all wonderful people here. Well I'm here with this topic to know what you guys think about movies being remade from one language to another. This happens quite often in our South Industries.

Though movies are remade, there are always arguments and comparisons between the original version and the remake version. I, myself, usually watches both versions of a movie. Though some remakes turn out to be horrible, I find myself satisfied with the way most remakes turn out.

So my general question is... why is it that sometimes it seems to be hard to accept the remake in contrast to the original or vice versa? Does it depend on which which version was viewed first, or is it because it's sometimes hard to see the same role being re-enacted by different actors? Or otherwise, is it because there's that feeling that the remake loses the essence of the original ?

For me, I think that there's always that freshness when watching the original. In remakes, the creators do try hard to maintain that freshness, along with some more improvisations. However, some movies do end up losing that touch. Yet, there are so many others which manage to keep that essence throughout the film.

A strong request to everyone to not bring in any specific movie comparisons. It's  advised that the answers be given in from a general point of view. 😃

Edited by supercool3 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

..Naina.. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
Wow, interesting topic I must say.

I watch movies in Telugu and Tamil, and so I know most of the actors and actresses because they cross over majorly. Honestly, I don't have much of a problem with remakes, because I feel like the jokes translate similarly in South Indian languages and even the types of movies just work with each different language.

But, I have to say I have an issue with like dubbing movies, irrespective of language. I just dont enjoy watching those movies AT all because more often than not there is no coordination or very little coordination in the way the actor's mouth movies and the dialogues (well obviously!😆) but still, it's very annoying for me.

Back to the original topic though, I have no issue with remakes, unless you know, it's just miserably done. But I feel like in most remakes the directors try to add the touch that works with that industry so I'm usually ok with it :)

Anyways, great post :)

Cheers!
~Naina
muffins2waffles thumbnail
Nice topic!

Most of the time, I don't have a problem with remakes. If the movie becomes hit in one language, they are just trying to let other people see it by remaking it into other languages. They are giving the original movie credit :) I prefer originals, but I have no problem with remakes.

I can not stand dubbed movies though, as Naina stated. Dubbed songs just do NOT make sense 😆 And when the actor isn't actually saying what we hear, I don't feel like it's a movie at all. I feel like they recorded a tape over random scenes.

supercool3 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
@ Naina -- yep same I watch both languages too .. and yes i agree on the fact that most actors and actress crossover... exactly my POV.. the way the dialogues are made out in remakes... there ain't much difference from the original .. the director's do obviously want to add their own touch to it.. i mean, it has to suit the audience that's watching the film too...

@ aishi.muffin --  exactly.. remakes allow for other viewers from other languages to also experience the film.. so there isn't much wrong with it.. but really what made me think about this topic is my friend... she watches the film in its original first, and then judges the remake before it even releases 😕 so that fact usually annoyed me 'cause i was fine with both versions..

about dubbed movies, i don't like them either. For me, they just don't flow properly. It's really weird when you have different people speaking over the lines, and then the actions you see being done by the characters look totally opposite... i'd rather watch the movie in its original language
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Ohhhkkk so here iss my view.. i lovee remakes.. whether they are in tamil, telugu or hindi.. i always love them... and usually they come out very good but tht has its own exceptions too.. usually people sayy tht they should get some orignal ideas and remakes are not justified blah blah.. i think tht making a remake takes double the effort for the director, actor everyone.. becuz u usually make a remake of a film which is either critically acclaimed or a commercial blockbuster.. either way u want to make it better thn the orignal so people like it moreee and cuming from the hindi backdrop u have to make drastic changes to suit the north audience cuz the madras cut doesnt work with hindi audiencee.. pluss when people likee me who watch telugu, tamil and hindi movies where we have already seen the orignal also expect sumthing new in the remake so tht it doesnt get boring!! So on the whole i actually like remakes becuz they are usually good very less it happens tht a remake turns out to be a disaster tho it happened to me this week im nt gonna name the movie..LOL...

And cuming to dubbed movies they are horrible man.. esp the hindi ones becuz the voice they give to the actors OMG its squeaky u'd hate the actor and the movie when u see the dubbed version and icing on the cake turns out to be the songs who have no menaing in them at all.. This happened with me once when i watched the hindi dubbed version of  Nagarjuna's Super named robbery its on tv 24/7..and i felt like killing those voice over actors plus i hated tht moviee and the songss.. it still had decent singers like sonu nigam and all becuz it was a nagarjuna and a big budget movie but if u have a chance to see some third class low budget hindi dubbed movie the songs are utter crap.. ohhk soo cuming to super then i had a chance to watch it in telugu once and i watched it and i actually liked it.. it was  a good movie...!!!!... My story ennds ~ 😆
fuzzyface thumbnail
I think the story itself has to be good enough for a remake and you must have a good director and cast to lift the movies. This is because people will compare it with the original, so remakes have to stand out above the original.Edited by fuzzyface - 13 years ago
ammoos thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Its not all about the story itself.. A movie should be remade to other languages only if the whole background that supports the story matches with the new audience... For eg. The movie Classmates from mallu wa sremade to other South Indian languages but the story os not so suitable to Hind audience. so Whem going for a remake you should have that sound back up for the screenplay other the screenpaly will have to be changed and it no longer will be called a remake..
fuzzyface thumbnail
Yes Uma you have brough a good point sometimes remakes don't work because the story itself doesn't permit it. Then again like Shakespeare said "An honest tale speeds best being plainly told" . If the movie is good enough it will stand out on its own in any languages or form, no need remakes.
malluangel thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
hmmm.....

well for me as a general rule, the original is always the best. 😃
its just sometimes they directly translate the script and that makes no sense....
otherwise it doesnt really make a difference, its usually the same director so they make it the same way and the only thing to compare are the actors and other departments....
and i feel like when they remake movies, the industry gets exposure and stuff, like *cough cough* a certain someone remakes almost ALL of a certain someone's hit movies into hindi..... and that just shows how there are such awesome scripts out there.

if its a remake of an old hit, i like it when they modernize it but keep most of it the same cuz i feel like when it becomes a hit it shows people that movies with great scripts work.

now DUBBED MOVIES: WOW as naina said, they just make no sense, what i hate the most though is like telugu to malayalam and tamil/telugu to hindi.
it just doesnt click man!

i mean i love a certain guy with the initals AA who has all his movies dubbed into malyalam but the jokes arent as funny and they dub it with the weridest voices, i mean THAT IS NOT HIS VOICE!!!!
so i always watch it in the original language, tamil, telugu, malayalam, etc.....

i dont even like those multiple releases when they release it in like three languages at once, it just doesnt GO!

like the close ups are ridiculous! and the songs! like [ok i know we arent supposed to do it but im listening to it] the malayalam version of happy from happy is different from the telugu... hes supposed to be singing about cars and idk it just doesnt go.... and when they try to write words that go with the actions... it just sounds hard cuz you feel the singers trying to fit it all in with the beat....
malluangel thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
wow... i wrote an essay....

sorry!