Tolly/Kolly Movie review - Robo/Endhiran

kavya.b thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 13 years ago
source - bharatstudent.com

Film: ROBO 
Rating: 3.5/5
Banner: Sun Pictures
Cast: Rajinikanth, Aishwarya Bachchan, Danny Denzongpa, Cochin Haneefa, Santhanam, Kalabhavan Mani, M S Bhaskar
Music: A R Rahman
Cinematography: R Ratnavelu
Director: Shankar
Producers: Kalanidhi Maran, Hansraj Saxena
Release date: 01/10/2010

Story:

A different treat, the story begins with the scientist Dr Vaseekaran (Rajinikanth) and his goal in life is to come up with a multi purpose robot that can serve the Indian army. He successfully creates one and names it Chitti (Rajinikanth). In no time, Chitti becomes a sensation and this doesn't go well with Vaseekaran's mentor Dr Bohra (danny). He manages to reject the robot stating it doesn't have the power to judge and feel. Vaseekaran works on that as well but that leads to trouble to him and his lady love Sana (aishwarya). What is that trouble and where the story goes from there forms the rest.

Presentation:
The director has come up with a variety storyline and though the presentation is good, the narrative is weak. The dialogues were normal, the script was just average, the screenplay was not quick. Background score was alright but only three songs were worth watching. Cinematography was excellent. Visual graphics were revolutionary. Editing was alright. Costumes were impressive and art department was apt. Rajinikanth has done his role with lan and though his usual mannerisms are missing, he manages to score brownie points. Aishwarya is a real visual treat, her sensuous appeal and her natural glow has been captured very well and her presence on the screen keeps audience busy. Danny was decent, Santhaman was okay, Cochin Haneefa was alright, M S Bhaskar was moderate, Kalabhavan Mani was quick, the others did their bit as required. 

Conclusion:
The film comes across as a new wave of cinema in the Indian history. The concept, the presentation and the extensive graphics used are clear examples for that. However, while the first half was good and looked promising, things tend to slow down in the second half and causes a bit of idle time. The climax action sequence was really good and that makes up for some slack. Overall, the film can be watched for its new approach and the visual appeal but then the content part is quite weak so there is not much of a feel. At the box office, the openings will be huge given the star power and the hype but eventually it could turn out to be an average grosser.

Bharatstudent verdict: Appealing concept, visual feast, recommended

verdict was diff for both languages.... above one was for Robo

this is for Endhiran

Bharatstudent verdict: Strongly recommended, must for today's generation

Edited by kavya.b - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kavya.b thumbnail
i didn't watch the movie but my frnd watched it n this is was her first reaction when she came back to cls directly frm the movie

"AWESOME MOVIE.....u can't miss it"
n she says that st half is almost like holly wood types n that was awesome
n 2nd half it finally touches the south indian style, esp tolly n kolly, with some senti n all....but the last half an hr, in terms of picturization n graphics is jus unbelievable for an indian more n more unbelievable for a south indian movie

fuzzyface thumbnail
Hmm even I think it will be average grosser. 
At the end of the day Indian audience would like to watch an Indian movie. 
The only good thing abt the movie is that it will go down history for being a revolutionary Indian movie for its concept, graphics, action and cinematography.
I think Rajni Sir did give it his all for the movie but everything in this movie was Shankar Sir's.
As for Ash, she did her part, which is to look good for the movie and nothing else. She did rock her video songs but it ends there.
Costume and sets were amazing though, Manish Malhotra did a good job. Do watch it though, it is still entertaining. ⭐️
prajju thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
i was waiting for this movie since a long time.Iam happy that  it finally released.Waiting to watch the movie, thanks for the review. Now i will not have much expectations on the story part. no expectation so no disappointment.😊
Prasanthi thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Its worth the money we spend to watch a movie. It can be termed as a Good movie. Its a visual treat in some songs and scenes. Enjoyable!
kavya.b thumbnail
i didn't get a chance to watch the movie yet.....probably i'll watch it on this wednesday if all goes well

but many of my frnds watched n 2day i can see many of their statuses applauding the movie, esp for the visual effects, rajnikanth's villianism, n ash's dance

n for telugu ppl, it seems the dialogues were awesome n they sounded like dubbed ones

i'm eager to watch the movie asap
isomers thumbnail
I watched the Hindi version this evening and I liked the movie alot! I'm not really a fan of Aish so I wasn't looking forward to it..but the story covers up for everything. (=

the graphics in the last like 10-15 minutes of the movie made it all perfect! the concept is nice so it was well worth the money.

premeer thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
The movie was fabulous...
still in awe how can 1 visualize so welllllll
Hats off 2 Shankar
Rajinikant was jus mindblowing and Aish was super pretty...

x.sunayna.x thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Can't wait till its comes here (hindi/tamil version) , the trailers have been great and i love the music :)
kavya.b thumbnail
i finally watched the movie today

in one line the movie is good....
it surely is a trademark in the indian film industry in terms of visual effects....hats to the makers for that
Rajni kanth's villianism was jus awesome n interesting than hero-ism
Ash was very pretty, she acted more like a south indian heroine than a bolly actress, if u know what i mean

in terms of science, they showed it very well, how the developments in science n technology has both pros n cons

this is what i liked frm the movie

songs weren't impressive, one of them had no impact at all, n one was funny
n the movie, apart frm songs, also has it weak points, tempo was missing in the movie...or may b i had much more expectation frm the movie

but still the last 30 mins make the movie worth watching