DOTW - Movie Names!!!

honeydaisy thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

DOTW
guys, what do think about 2 different movie from different genre has same name?exp

Maya Bazaar(1957)and Maya Bazaar (1995)
Vettaikaran(1965) and Vettaikaran(2010)
Pollathavan(Rajni's) and Pollavathavan(Dhanush's)

guys im not against anyone but i think tamil language is wonderful language..and we can named the movie's with new title , but why they liked to used the same name? do u think its healthy to repeat the same title for the movies?

Edited by honeydaisy - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sand14 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
I think the main reason is to raise people's expectations, create a hype and hope to repeat the same magic and achieve the 'hit' status the old films did, by having the same names.

What you say its true, Thamizh being a beautiful language, I'm sure they can find better, alternative titles. I guess its just a belief they hold that a film will become as successful as the original one, if they repeat the names.

But, this can only happen if the story is as good as the old one to keep the audience engaged. The new Vettaikaaran was a mega flop compared to the old one with MGR. On the other hand, Billa, which was repeated and adapted from the old Rajinikanth movie and also Don, was a super duper hit. So I guess it still depends on the story.
honeydaisy thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
you rae right khpriya..but for Billa its different because its remake but others are not. it huge dissapointment for me something..i want watch new maya bazaar but its seems old maya bazaar..
_Manpreet_ thumbnail
Great topic Daisy 👏👏👏

Yes I agree with Priya... the main motive behind this is to advertise the movie and to create a hype.... the curious people will def alteast watch it once to see!!!

But on the downside.... I feel it all ends in comparison..... the effort put into taking the film may go a waste... since many will often compare and contraste the past film to present... unless if it is a super hit... which requires a lot of magic now a days.. with regards to the story like Priya said.....
supercool3 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Hmm.. never thought about it that way

but like others mentioned above.. the whole point is to create all that hype and raise expectations..
it's an advertising technique... especially to get the audience interested in the film

in a way... the producers do dig a hole for themselves because they end up raising the bar tooo high...
so unless the movie becomes a hit... it'll be a great fall for the people related to the film

plus.. even though the film may not be a remake of the earlier one... people will obviously end up comparing the older one to the newer one just 'cause of the title itself
Edited by supercool3 - 13 years ago
migan thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Nice Topic Daisy.

Reusing the names has Pluses and negatives.

One of the disadvantage as I agree with others that people tend to compare the old movies to new ones. Also when you are searching fr movies or songs any where you need to make sure you are picking up the right one. For example I was looking for Aayirathil oruvan old movie and I ended up with the new one(Which I hate it).

The Positive side is it is just reusing the name and eventually people may not remember the old movies. If the names are good enough then they can reuse. In addition it adds up the hype.

One suggestion maybe they should not reuse recent*80s or 90s names.
x.sunayna.x thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Well I agree with everyone above :)
Its all about getting the attracting the audience's attention. They become curious .. see the movie .. and walk out dejected. ( on the rare occasion they may walk out happy )

From the director/producers POV it works out better, especially when the original film was a hit, because re-using the title gives people expectations. Seems like they're putting themselves up to fail ..

Tamizh has such a wide vocabulary, I don't see why they can't come up with new titles..