Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 13 years ago
^ Sounds good! :) Why don't you create it, and I'll ask Mango to make it sticky?
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Great idea, and I really enjoyed following that doubts thread at RF too... but given that we do have a whole forum to ourselves now, how about narrowing down the scope of the thread so we can... get more threads out of it 😆 A Chronology doubts/discussions for the events, a geography one for the places where people can also post those pics of various sites mentioned in the scriptures that they've previously posted at the BL, and something I've been particularly interested in while reading the texts - a who's who thread where we share info on the characters karmic origins - so and so was such and such in this lifetime, did this, and that's how they ended up here. I think this way more questions will come to mind for people, since it's not like RF where the show is currently on so doubts are being sparked continuously... this way I think the topics themselves will remind people of the questions they had along those particular lines. What say, guys??
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
^^^^^Didn't quite follow the above proposal - can you illustrate w/ some examples?

The other thing - if one thinks such a thread would be too broad, we could have multiple threads, such as 'Doubts & Discussions from the Mahabharat', 'Doubts & Discussions about Vishnu-Puranas', 'Doubts & Discussions about Shiva-Puranas', 'Doubts & Discussions about Devas & Asuras', etc.  Of course, we'd have to settle on a limited number of them, since we don't want too many stickies on the front page.  I left out the Ramayan above, as I think the 3 threads we had there, which covered something close to 3000 posts, would  have covered a lot, although by no means exhaustive.

One proposed list:
  • Doubts & discussions about the epics (Ramayan & Mahabharat)
  • Doubts & discussions about Vishnu-puranas & Shiva-puranas
  • Doubts & discussions about Devas, Asuras, Rakshashas, Gandharvas, Kinnaras, et al
  • Doubts & discussions about other topics (Kings, Rishis, et al)
The first one is obvious - one can discuss any still open questions from the Ramayan, and anything from the Mahabharat, including Krishna avatar.  In the 2nd, one can discuss things like the Dasha avatars, stories about Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma, Kartikeya, Ganesh, etc.  In the 3rd, one can discuss Indra, Surya, Kama, Hiranya brothers, Bali, Prahlad, Mahishashur, Tarakasura, and so on (not included in discussions in the epics).  The 4th would be miscellaneous, where one could discuss characters like Ikshvaku, Yayati, Harishchandra, Raghu, the Suryavansh, Chandravansh & Agnivansh rulers, rishis like Vishwamitra, Durvasha, Kanva, Vyasa and others (I'm not including medeaval historical saints like  Meera  here either - that merits a separate thread.  Somebody mentioned a history forum?)

Any other ways you'd like to see them sliced & diced?
Edited by _Vrish_ - 13 years ago
MagadhSundari thumbnail
^^ No worries, I even confused myself 😆

Your divisions sound great but like you said there are sooo many... and I think that, at least in my case, when such a doubt arises it's because I've seen/heard something intriguing somewhere and don't know what text/poem it was taken from... as in was it from some translation of the epics, or a puraan, and if so which and what exactly is stated. So, given that type of question we would have no idea which thread to post it in. Hope that made sense.

So what I was saying yesterday was this:

one thread for chronology/event related doubts - my favorite not-yet-resolved example of this is why does RCM give us a Gauri Pooja in Bal Kand and then later, in Aranya Kand, we have Gauri's predecessor Sati 😕 Doubts like these along with any other questions about order-of-events (for example Kaaliya and Govardhan incidents are shown in a different order in like every single show that featured them, so to figure out which comes from what text/poem). Also general explanations about the time cycles - kalpas, yugas, manvantars, etc. - would fit into this thread.

one for character related doubts - examples from the thread you guys had @ RF would be which snake's daughter was Sulochana; were Ram's brothers incarnations of Vishnu himself or of Shesh, Sudarshan, and Panchajanya; and my own are of interest which is who was reborn as who and why (e.g. Aditi Kashyap as the divine parents every single time, or Skanda Puraan story about Raja Ulkamuk as Dashrath; Jai-Vijar as Kans and Ravan or alternative stories, etc.)... this would actually cover a lot of the ground that was in the RF thread.

one to keep the geography straight (who was king of where, who took over what area, and lots of war and alliance related questions, for example) and share information and pics on where these scriptural sites are thought to be in the present day.

Any other categories?? Or did these still not make sense 😆
Vr15h thumbnail
Ok, now I see what you meant 😊

Essentially, what you have is threads for
  1. When?
  2. Who?
  3. Where?
  4. How & what? (My addition here)
In a way, your categorization is better than mine in that sometimes, it's tough to pigeon-hole something in one category  or another.  Like if one was discussing Garuda, it would normally fall under the discussion on celestial beings, but if the discussion suddenly went into his role in saving Rama & Lakshman, it becomes an epic discussion.  Similarly, if one is discussing the Raghu dynasty, and the exploits of Raghu, Aja, Dasharath & Kush, it's probably inevitable that a discussion of Rama will come in, which obviously would be a Ramayan track. 

Similarly, if the discussion  is about the dynasties of Parikshit & Vajra, or @ the  other end, Yayati, it would fall under the category of mortal humans, as well as under the Mahabharat.  In fact, for Yayati, it would touch on the Mahabharat, the celestial category (since the story of Devyani & Sharmistha  is directly related to Yayati, and Shukracharya, the guru of the Asuras, was a major player there) A lot of overlap  would be there b/w the celestial & mortal categories, since a number of the human characters, like Pururava, had  marriages w/ celestial beings, like Apsaras (Pururava & Urvashi, Aja & Indumati, et al) 

Your categorization neatly sidesteps such fuzzyness.  Numerically, it's simlar to what I had suggested, but I'd suggest that it be in the announcements section, so that they'll be almost reference sort of threads.

Okay, I like your idea, but should we survey and see what other suggestions others may have, b4 going ahead & implementing something?  Or should we just go ahead and implement yours?  With titles like 'Doubts & Discussions: Who?', 'Doubts & Discussions: What?'...
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
I like the idea of these threads guys, but would all four of those categories have to be made sticky? Because that's a lot of sticky threads right there and usually a forum has only 5-6 sticky threads per week....or we can make one topic sticky per week.
Vr15h thumbnail
On the main pg, you have 5 important topics, 3 stickies & 10 unglued.  If you increase it by 4, you'll be down to 6 unglued.  In RS, which I manage, I have had 4 unglued topics for the last several months, and have done my best to increase them, despite the number  of redundant topics that were created when the forum started.

If 4 is too many, then we could get back to 1 - Doubts & Discussions on Hindu mythology?  Make it an Important topic, not a mere sticky, and leave it @ that?  I liked the Who, When, Where, What, How & Why approaches, but yeah, that would be too many.  All of them do have to be stickies, or else, they risk getting buried deep when people don't have a particular type  of question for a while.
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Geet forum has 7 stickies so it wouldn't be toooo crazy, and alternating them based on which thread a hot topic arises would work (once we have a DT). Or just one combined but we should just specify that if a question is broad enough to deserve a whole thread it should get one rather than hiding in this one.
Vr15h thumbnail
In Rakt Sambandh, I have 8 important topics & 6 stickies (it'll be down to 5 once we get out banner).  That leaves only 4 unglued topics.

In this case, at worst, it would be 6.  We can have the thread for random questions, like say, why is Indra the king of the devas despite Surya being the eldest son of  Aditi i.e. older to him?  If a question is of either widespread interest or significance, like, say, why did Krishna refuse to be a combatant in the Kurukshetra war, then that could have a complete thread of its own.

Lola, is that the type of what you have in mind?
MagadhSundari thumbnail
^^ yeah exactly, random curiosities that probably have one concrete answer would go in this thread. Where there's room for debate, there's an idea for a whole thread. I personally think almost all our stickies right now deserve to be imp topics but guess we can figure that our later. Cool question btw, I too wanna know why :S