Guzaarish :- This Flick Shocks the World.

Posted: 13 years ago

When any Film intends to give a Social Message,the Responsibility of that Director & Story Writer increases to a Greater Extent than Ordinary Commercial Flicks coz the Film catches a Special Attention in the Crowd of Other films & the Social Message should be Fitting & Complete in all Aspects.

SLB's Guzaarish is also one of this Type wherein the Director has Misconceptualised the Reality & has Given a Wrong Message.

There is a big "TECHNICAL PROBLEM"in this particular flick.

Article.21 Protection of Life & Personal Liberty,

Article 21 of the Indian Constitution states that "No person shall be deprived of his life or personal liberty except according to procedure established by law."

Some People get affected with Non-Curable Disorders such as Permenant Incapacity or Inability or Permanently Handicapped & Such People lose hope,faith & interest in life.They Just want to End their Life so that they can be freed themselves from Deadlocks.

Hrithik is a Successful Magician. Once while performing Magic,he falls prey into a Trap Prepared for him by Selfish Leander Paes & Due to this Accident,Hrithik  is Shown as a person suffering with "Paraplegia" where his half of body Organs have Stopped Functioning.Aishwarya is Shown as Hrithik's nurse who takes care of Hrithik.

After Giving a Fight for 12 years with Paraplegia,Hrithik becomes a Successful Radio Jockey wherein he Gives Positive Message to all to Protect & Maintain their Life & to Live it to the fullest Extent Possible.People Even Acclaim Hrithik book on Positive Thinking which becomes a BESTSELLER.But Hrithik comes to a Conclusion that he wants to end his Life.Hrithik Doc & Friends show stiff Resistance to Hrithik's Decision initially  but later on, they accept Defeat & help Hrithik to File a petition for Desired Death.

The Court Dismisses his Plea but a Defiant Hrithik comes to Court to explain his Stance.The Media Gets Involved as this case was becoming a High Profile.

The Judge did'nt get impressed by Hrithik's plea & Magic too & Dismisses the Petition & Set it asides once Again.Yet a Rock solid Hrithik with a help of Aishwarya Goes Forward with his Decision & Plans a Farewell Party at his home for his Friends,Servants,Doc,Advocates & All & Also Desires to Marry with Aishwarya before Death.

Finally Hrithik is Spotted Laughing in the Farewell Party.

The Rest is Left on the Intelligent Audience.In Which Way Hrithik ends his life is not Shown.....Either Hrithik Ends his life by Taking Poison or Injected with Poison or Suspending his Treatment or Any Other Way...That's Not Shown

This is a Pure Case of "Euthnasia".

SLB looks like an Activist of Such Groups who Believe in Ending their Life & He has motivated such groups who believe in Desire Premature Death or Euthnasia.

Well God has Conferred Life to You & Only the Almighty has the Right to take it back from You...The Religious Gurus also Confronts Hrithik in this Flick But he Does'nt pay any heed to that.

There was a Famous Case in America on Euthnasia.

A Lady Named Terry Schiavo was Suffering from Heart Disease & She had gone into Coma.Her Husband Demanded that She should be Given the Right to end her life but her parents wanted to take her Custody & look after her.

The Court Gave the Decision in favour of her Husband & the parents filed an Appeal against the Decision of Florida Court in the Supreme Apex Court.....But Still the Status-Quo was maintained in the Decision of Apex Court too and Terry's Husband won the case.Terry's Hubby Removed her Feeding tube & after 12 days on 31st March 2005,she died.(That Time President George W.Bush Had Also Signed A Petition Against the Removal of Terry's Feeding Tube).

After Watching Guzaarish,Sick People who are Unhopeful of Reviving their Life will opt to end their Life instead of fighting with it.....So Here the Wrong Message is Given by the Creator & Wrong Message in spread in the Society.

Further those parents who are becoming a Pressure on their Children,Such Children dump their parents & throw them in Old-Aged Orphanage.The Children Don't Even Reimburse the Charges of their parents.They are just Interested in family Property which they get after Parents Death.In this case,the Children will kill their Parents for Property if Such Laws of  Intentional Death are passed in Our Country.

Has SLB Thought of this???

Such Wrong Message Flicks should Be Condemned & Discarded.Well SLB has Advocated Unethical Death/Killing or Intentional Killing of Oneself in Guzaarish.

The Other Thing is Here Aishwarya as a Caretaker Agrees to Help Hrithik.She Does'nt have any Hidden Motives in this Flick But in Actual Life?..The Caretaker wants the Property & He Has Hidden Motives too.So that Caretaker will take advantage of Such laws & Kill his Employer.

After Seeing Hrithik's Condition at one point of Time in this Flick,The Sensitive Audience comes to a conclusion that Hrithik should be Conferred to End his Life By The Court.So Certainly a Wrong Message has Gone Out.

Another Thing is The Banner of Aishwarya holding Cigar in her Hand.Well in Actual Film Scene,Aishwarya Gets Irritation in her Throat & She Coughs & Can't Bear it & Water Starts Flowing out of Her Eyes??So The bad Effects of Cigar & Smoking is Demonstrated.

But In That Banner Pics which are Displayed inside the Theatre Of Aishwarya Cigar Are Not Interactive & They're in a Still Frame.There Can Be A danger of Imitation Effect after Looking at the Poster.

This Will Give an Impetus to Tobacco Lobby of the World.

But Above All,

The Film Is Nice & Hrithik has Lived it But Certainly A Wrong Message goes Out.

P.S. I'm Not A Critical Analyst At All.

I like the fantastic performances by Hrithik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai. In terms of expression and commitment, its a above avg movie. Hrithik's performance was so sincere....But some situation I feel, It gives negative message to all, and deeply impact to those with such disability. Bhansali should've highlighted problems associated with the system such as lack of funds, facilities in the country but...I feel It's far better than all those mindless comedies..😊

Originally posted by Believe

I like the fantastic performances by Hrithik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai. In terms of expression and commitment, its a above avg movie. Hrithik's performance was so sincere....But some situation I feel, It gives negative message to all, and deeply impact to those with such disability. Bhansali should've highlighted problems associated with the system such as lack of funds, facilities in the country but...I feel It's far better than all those mindless comedies..😊

@Believe,

Absolutely Dear i Agree with You.

In My Opinion,Hrithik Needs to be Felicitated with National Award for this Fascinating Performance in Guzaarish.He Has Made it Look Real like an Paraplegic Patient.

Yah,It Says That Come Back Fall in Love With Life & Suddently It Takes A Turn & Hrithik thinks of Ending his Life...There Goes to the Wrong Message to the Audience.

Rest The Whole Flick is Brilliant But SLB needs to Look & Consider These Perspectives.

The Flick Is A CLASS.

Sounds like a good movie. SLB must have kept  the dif perspectives in mind. The protagonist loves to live life fully but feels limited by his affliction. Putting up with it for 14 years is not a mean achievement. As long as there is some hope that things might get better one can carry on but once the hopes are dashed it is very difficult to reconcile to living a life of dependency.

I've not yet seen Guzaarish. I won't till January 2011. I do not see any flicks of this genre beginning November.

Regarding cigar smoking -

Movie characters are meant to be just that characters. They are not meant to be idealistic role models. Most are often gray, even the lead characters often have vices, bad habits and other questionable behaviors. Cigarettes, alcohol, drug use, in movies, posters and promotional material is not unusual or uncommon. Several movies also show cigarette smoking as elegant, sophisticated or manly, mature.

I would not blame cigarette smoking on movies really. It may make smoking tempting and lucrative, especially to younger audiences. But in the end it is a choice. The box comes with a clear surgeon generals warning. We learn about it in school, in PSA all the time. Smokers including teenage smokers are not naive, they know very well what smoking does. They make a conscious choice to choose smoking over health. Even showing pictures of the horrors of smoking does not often help changing minds or making people quit.

Regarding Euthanasia:

I have a similar view of Euthanasia in films. Ultimately it is just a story. Films show many kinds of stories, good, bad, ugly, wise, stupid, its upto the audience on how they take it and interpret it.

Guzaarish is not the first film of its kind. Well perhaps in India, but its not the first of its kind. In fact it is not far from reality either. Javier Bardem's, The Sea Inside told a loosely similar story based on the life of Ramon Sampedro who ultimately successfully ended his lie. People around him assisted him and Sampedro had planned his death so carefully and broken it into little bits that none of these people could be accused of murder or PAS. Million Dollar Baby also covered euthanasia where Clint Eastwood's character ends up giving an overdose of adrenaline to Hillary Swank the boxer.

It would be unfair to say the film promotes euthanasia or criticize it for showing euthanasia. The film merely tells a story and raises an issue - the audiences can further dissect the story and issue and discuss/debate their own perception. I read news about Guzaarish facing litigation for portrayal of smoking as well as euthanasia. How ridiculous can we get? Whatever happened to the freedom of expression, especially in creative arts? It is not as if some psychopath is trying to maim cadavers and pass their blood and guts as cinema or arts - its just the narrative of a story.

I also wanted to clarify Terry Schiavo and the story of Guzaarish are not really comparable. In legal and ethical debate Euthanasia is divided into four groups active (killing - like legal injection), passive (allowing to die - like cutting of treatment), voluntary (informed consent), involuntary (uninformed consent).

Guzaarish is the case of voluntary active euthanasia where the patient voluntarily asks to be given the lethal injection. Terry Schiavo was involuntary passive euthanasia where the husband sought ending her lifeline.

The critical difference here is the difference between active and passive euthanasia. Often when the term euthanasia is used, it generally refers to active euthanasia or giving a lethal injection or lethal dose of medication. It is usually active euthanasia that is illegal. However, passive euthanasia is legal in many places and the entire Schiavo case was built on the fact that Florida lets you refuse treatment and allows to die.

Terry Schiavo was a case of passive euthanasia. She could not live  on her own. She was completely vegetated. She required feeding tubes and was being externally sustained. When she died no one administered anything that would cause death. The external support system was refused and she died due to the inability to sustain herself. Had she been able to swallow she would have not died and the court would have not approved any lethal injection or dose to kill her.

The bigger controversy was the consent and two conflicting views of consent being presented. The husband said Terry would have wanted to die, parents said Terry a devout Catholic would have wanted to live and would never want to take any suicide means active or passive. Ultimately the husband won the case. However, new laws have been in place since where any breathing/feeding/life sustaining apparatus cannot be removed without explicit permission from patients. Which is why a lot of people are making living wills that give directions on what to do in such situations.

Another big difference is that the character in Guzaarish can move, talk, interact, socialize - live etc. But Terry could not even move, talk, socialize or live and spent almost 15 years bedridden.

Ultimately there are questions to debate are active vs passive euthanasia any different? Is one morally better than another? Should the law be allowed to make distinctions? Is the right to refuse treatment ethical? Finally as Hrithik's character in Guzaarish is cheerful, full of life - it asks the questions - what is the meaning of life? What does it mean to live or be alive? What makes life incomplete? Why would a happy cheerful man consider death as an option?
You pretty much gave the whole story away!  I have the flick on dvd but was waiting for my exam to get over before watching it.  Now, all the fun's gone out:(
Originally posted by Gauri_3

You pretty much gave the whole story away!  I have the flick on dvd but was waiting for my exam to get over before watching it.  Now, all the fun's gone out:(
That he did ! but its  all over the newspapers here anyway ! 😆 But you can still enjoy the performances of Hrithik -Aishwarya and SLB as the director. Every frame is supposed to be  very picturesque .
Whats with your siggy- Delhi fashionable and mumbai pretending to be ! Whatever led you to that ?
Originally posted by angie.4u

Sounds like a good movie. SLB must have kept  the dif perspectives in mind. The protagonist loves to live life fully but feels limited by his affliction. Putting up with it for 14 years is not a mean achievement. As long as there is some hope that things might get better one can carry on but once the hopes are dashed it is very difficult to reconcile to living a life of dependency.

good movie and slb cant be used in the same sentence, same para or same page 😆
Originally posted by old-black-joe

good movie and slb cant be used in the same sentence, same para or same page 😆
Well his movies had less violence if thats what you missed 😆

Originally posted by angie.4u

Well his movies had less violence if thats what you missed 😆

nope, they're pretentious...