Debate Mansion

real culture or fake?

mkzara thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
guys i was wondering if any of u watch indian shows that are on zee or sony and if u do then what do u think of the culture they show on it. i dont about india maybe they're really modern there but like i know that in pakistan we rn't that modern as they show in the tv shows in india. like my mom says that the culture they show in india such as when girls tell their parents that they wont get rid of a baby they have w/o getting married cause its not their childs fault and the child was from love isn't real. my mom says that cant possibly be india she says india is like pakistan and there is no way girls talk to their parents like that. what do u guys think. like is the culture they show really real?Edited by mkzara - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mkzara thumbnail
thanx guys i feel really welcomed here by the outpour of response. i am so sure that u all responded to my topic but then like the computers must have malfunctioned and they must have all gotten lost. lol
amreen1409 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Well... since its pak. serial forum, it will be nice if we discuss about pakistan's culture.  And about this, I think media is not right in most of the things, and as we know that our media doesnt reflect our culture, it could be same thing in India as well.
mkzara thumbnail
Originally posted by: amreen1409

Well... since its pak. serial forum, it will be nice if we discuss about pakistan's culture. And about this, I think media is not right in most of the things, and as we know that our media doesnt reflect our culture, it could be same thing in India as well.

Point taken. i just view the paki and indian culture to be the same cause my mom insists they r the same and that the paki's have adopted a lot from india and the basic difference is the religion whcih changes some major things.
sameen thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Well,i think indian drama are showing the wrong. Everyone respect their parents. That's what i think. 😊
Dashing Boy thumbnail
it's 100% fake!!!!!!!! none of the two medias reflecting our culture, they r just blindly trying to copy west.
sowmyaa thumbnail
India or Pakistan cannot be generalize as a whole. There are different class of people and different type of people. Majority of India is not like what they show on T.V. Kids don't talk back to their parents like they show on tv show, or as you said, unwed mothers dont give birth to babies everyday and stuff like that. But there are small group of people who in India or anyother country could be like what they show on tv. we've this saying in gujju -"kagda badhe kada" - crow are black everywhere. But ur mother is right it is not indian "culture" to talk back to parents or getting pregnant without being married. Even the way they dress and put make-up and stuff in their daily life on tv is not true for majority of indians.

There are my thoughts of what India I have lived and seen around me...some people may have different views then me.
Aparna_BD thumbnail
What a interesting topic . More interesting is that we can find out about each other's culture and bust some myths .

T.V is a fair reflection of Indian culture with melodrama added to the whole thing . We ,Indians i suppose respect parents as much as in other Asians cultures and certainly 100% more than the Western culture . Also we do have exceptions every where . We have people who turn out lousy kids or lousy human beings . I have a Aunt who's like that . This woman is highly disrespectfull of her mom . And lo behold .....her 13 year old daughter has turned out just like her and has no respect for her mother and her grandmother and Aunts . What i am trying to say .....There are often bad apples . And thats what sometimes serials portray !!!

About Pre marital sex , its happening all the time ....BUT its pretty taboo . I have never heard a girl ever openly admit to such a thing .baby before marriage ....well it might be happening and is hush hush ....Indians don't  ever ever walk around with out marriage with pregnant bellies . They'd be shunned by the society !!
About clothes they wear in TV shows , thats often worn by film actresses or models or when people hang out . I am a very modern person who wears tank tops , shorts...........but i would never ever have the guts to walk around the streets of India , even New Delhi in such clothes . People are modern in big cities .....but not so modern that they won't ogle at you and pass comments !!

Although i feel our culture are similar , differing due to religous outlook but I'd sure like to know about your culture in details !! 😊 Edited by indygirl - 18 years ago
Rindam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Fake huni, a lot of it is fake 😆 .

Indian culture is very hard to describe, its so different part to part. Clothes, food and such.Festivals and celebrations are very busy and there are many people like they show. The atmosphere is festive and colorful.

Somethings that I see that are different are-

Marraige is very a very important institution in India among all communities. To get a divorce in India is still difficult, not as easy as in the US (I saw a sign the other day Divorce for 50USD) and definitely not as easy as Ekta Kapoor shows its to be. Divorce is a big deal in India as it should be.

Now about younger lot, well different strokes for different folks. But girls arent allowed to stay later at night than boys is what I've typically noticed. For good reason I must say, if you've ever been to Delhi, its quite easy to get kidnapped or assaulted. The capital city of India is quite unsafe for young (and older too) women these days 😕 .

In urban India to have a boyfriend/girlfriend might be getting more and more common but not in rural India. Also, people choosing their own partner for marraige rather than their parents is also more an urban thing. Rural india still believes families make a better choice.

And well getting pregnant before marraige the less I say the better. It's not cool to get pregnant or fool around before marraige in a lot of the families in India.

Some states in India are more progressive than others. Progressive meaning educating women, allowing them to work and such (not wearing short skirts and drinking).

OF course everyone knows India is not that wealthy. There are more lower income families than higher so children often dont get to make a fashion statement on an everyday basis. They are not dressed to kill everyday, some special days maybe birthdays or weddings.

And last of all, most kids have to do as parents say especially about things like school, having a boyfriend or not, meeting friends, what is appropriate to dress in and such. Rules are sometimes broken but parents still call the shots for the most part.

MonicA#1Actress thumbnail

Originally posted by: Dashing Boy

it's 100% fake!!!!!!!! none of the two medias reflecting our culture, they r just blindly trying to copy west.

LOL maybe that is true, but I know some well-to-do places in India and Pakistan have situations like that, but it definately not reflective of our culture.

BTW I have a question for you, your avatarl what movie or what is it LOLzz!