Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 13 years ago

Yes comedy is the genre that critics are most biased against. Comedy films hardly win awards and it is unfair in some ways because comedy isn't easy..it's hard to make people laugh..but in the last few years, there just haven't been any good comedies barring Golmaal I guess (for me the first one was really good, 2nd really bad, haven't seen 3rd one yet but that's supposed to be good).

Most comedies seem like they're trying to force us to laugh by hook or crook, like the last scene in Housefull where everybody is laughing 😕. I thought bits and bits of Housefull were funny but it certainly isn't a great comedy like Hera Pheri or Andaz Apna Apna worthy of awards..

.khoobsurat. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: smarie pants

lensa, i dunt think many would appreciate guzaarish  being nominated...kurbaan was a serious movie too...was it nominated in a lot of categories tht year??...3 idiots recieved more nominations...and ppl didnt mind tht coz it was clearly the better film amongst the two....similarly...saawariya was shunned at awards while OSO recieved many nominations....why?? because ppl appreciate good films...not the genre they are made in...thts the way it should be. 

I actually enjoyed Kurbaan more than 3 idiots. But awards giving importance more to OSO and 3 idiots over Sawariya and Kurbaan has to with boxoffice more than anything.
ladygaga thumbnail
I thought Welcome and No entry were way funnier than OSO.. Comedy deserves its own awards.. screw the regular bolly awards..  Comedy is such a popular and powerful genre in bolly.. they should have their own special awards.
.khoobsurat. thumbnail

Originally posted by: chocolover89

Yes comedy is the genre that critics are most biased against. Comedy films hardly win awards and it is unfair in some ways because comedy isn't easy..it's hard to make people laugh..but in the last few years, there just haven't been any good comedies barring Golmaal I guess (for me the first one was really good, 2nd really bad, haven't seen 3rd one yet but that's supposed to be good).

Most comedies seem like they're trying to force us to laugh by hook or crook, like the last scene in Housefull where everybody is laughing 😕. I thought bits and bits of Housefull were funny but it certainly isn't a great comedy like Hera Pheri or Andaz Apna Apna worthy of awards..

I don't think anyone is saying Housefull deserves an award. We are just saying critics and awards are more biased towards it. And even the audience sometimes.
Edited by lensahunte08 - 13 years ago
.khoobsurat. thumbnail

Originally posted by: ladygaga

I thought Welcome and No entry were way funnier than OSO.. Comedy deserves its own awards.. screw the regular bolly awards..  Comedy is such a popular and powerful genre in bolly.. they should have their own special awards.

I thought the same too. Welcome and No entry were funnier def than OSO esp because of Anil kapoor for me. That guy is really good at comedy. OSO is really overrated. I agree comdies films should have their own awards since no one gives them credit in bollywood awards.
comedy does get its due....ppl like paresh rawal, arshad warsi, govinda, boman irani do recieve awards.....the problem is....such good performances only come out in exceptionally well written and directed comedies.....which is why comedy is the toughest genre...its soo hard to get it right, and very easy to screw up...and its soo rare to see ppl get it right.....it is in those rare occasions when ppl get nominated and recognized for their performances in a comedy.  Edited by smarie pants - 13 years ago
.khoobsurat. thumbnail

Originally posted by: smarie pants

comedy does get its due....ppl like paresh rawal, arshad warsi, govinda do recieve awards.....the problem is....such good performances only come out in exceptionally well written and directed comedies.....which is why comedy is the toughest genre...its soo hard to get it right, and very easy to screw up...and its soo rare to see ppl get it right.....it is in those rare occasions when ppl get nominated and recognized for their performances in a comedy. 

But do the comedy films get awards in the category of best film?
Chippeshwini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
as per the way i've read into these things, these people have nothing against slapsticks.

What they're against is the way bolly awards give importance to big names, who don't necesarily create the 'most' qualitative material out there.
they hate how directors of good movies, like Udaan, and LSD, get completely sidetracked by people like Sajid Khan.

No one gives a rat's intestine about filmmakers who try to think out of the box . That's why, the most that Love Sex aur Dhoka got was "woah, what a cool movie". it didn't get recognition, and as per the nominations, it won't. 
The most these movies ever get is "best critic's". 

that's what they want to change. They want it to be possible that films like Udaan and LSD will get into the 'best film' category, not just the 'critic's best film' category
petticoat thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
hey baby was plaigiarised..i dont think plaigiarised movies should be encouraged eithr way

i havent seen no entry or welcome but if it was good, it deserved nominations..

guzaarish was weird and undeserving irrespective of the genre
yes...in the past, films like anand, khuubsoorat, chupke chupke, hum hain raahi pyaar ke, 3 idiots, lage raho munnabhai, munnabhai mbbs...all won the award for best film...why?? they were actually well made comedies...comedies that got it right...same with biwi no 1, dulhan hum le jaayenge, main hoon naa, OSO,partner, chasmee badoor, chachi 420, jab we met, no entry which recieved nominations for best film....comedy is recognised, if done well.  but it is hard to get them right..and very few films succeed in tht aspect.  Edited by smarie pants - 13 years ago