Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Another CASTING COUCH Controversy hits Bollywood

-Mmmmm- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago

Actor's slur on gay filmmaker stirs bollywood

An aspiring actor and director Onir of My Brother Nikhil fame in a face-off over an intimate encounter that brings the industry's taboo subject out in the open

Bharati Dubey

Posted On Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 04:36:08 AM

One of the seldom-discussed aspects of the film industry's casting couch syndrome is the exploitation of young men by a clique of powerful men who are gay. But in a first, an aspiring young actor, who recently acted in a film based on the theme of homosexual love, has alleged that he was molested by film director Onir.

It's a charge the director forcefully denies, giving compelling reasons to suggest that his encounter with the actor was by mutual consent.

However, the nature of this public allegation has created a stir in scandal-saturated Bollywood. Largely this is due to Onir's reputation as a filmmaker of sensitive films like My Brother Nikhil, Bas Ek Pal and Sorry Bhai!. He is also one of the few directors who are out in an industry that is surprisingly coy on the subject.

Ranged against him is a 28-year-old struggling actor Yuvraj Parashar from Agra. Parashar got his break in a recently-released film Dunno Y-Naa Jaane Kyu which strangely featured the likes of Zeenat Aman and had Lata Mangeshkar warbling its title song, Dunnowhy…naajaanekuuu. Indeed! The film was a box-office fiasco.

Film director Onir; (right) aspiring actor Yuvraj Parashar

Undaunted by that Parashar decided to show his work to directors like Onir and Madhur Bhandarkar, in the hope of finding new work. "I approached these guys because they have made senstitive films dealing with similar themes and so they wouldn't outright dismiss my film," he says.

While Bhandarkar pleaded a hectic schedule, Onir invited him to his Versova flat after a discussion on facebook.

"I landed at his home on Tuesday night at 10.45 and we started watching the film on his DVD in the living room." From thereon, the story takes a lurid turn with Parashar alleging that the director first plied him with several drinks and then sat too close for comfort.

"He must've made me drink about six-seven glasses of wine after which he suddenly put the film on pause and told me, 'Let's go and sit in the bedroom as the system there is much better.

I walked into the bedroom with him to watch the movie-he played the movie and then suddenly pounced on me." The strapping actor who unhesitatingly exposes the bite mark on his chest as a result of that alleged attack claims he was too stunned to react. "I am in pain and I feel nauseated at the thought of what I had to go through on Tuesday."

Next morning Onir sent him a text message enquiring about his hickeys. He also tweeted about an interview he'd given to the news agency IANS in which he spoke about films based on homosexuality and where he made a special mention of Yuvraj Parashar and Dunno Y.

When asked about Parashar's allegations the stricken director admits to a sexual encounter with the actor but emphatically denies any coercion. "It was Yuvraj who started flirting with me so I flirted back. What happened that night was mutual. Does he have any proof that I forced myself on him? And if I did, he is a big man and I am five foot nothing, why did he not push me away, why did he not slap me?"

"He is only taking advantage of my sexual identity to gain publicity. Besides this will cut me from forging friendships, which is not fair to me.

A still from My brother Nikhil

This will actually have a drastic affect on my labour of 15 years. I am a gay man but I have always been honest about it and spoken on the issue and have been making films on the same. Being gay is a part of me and not a defining factor.''

Parashar says that if need be he would go to the police but he wants to make an example of this so that young, gullible men like him are not exploited any further. "I just wanted him to see the film because he has made films on the issue. Somebody who was propagating the issue in cinema is exploiting newcomers in real life!''

A tearful Onir claims that Parashar sent him a message wishing him a good morning the next day and that wouldn't have been the case had there been coercion.

"In fact just before leaving my house he asked me, 'I am drunk, should I drive back home?' and I told him if he wished he could crash at my place.''

Parashar who strenuously denies that he is making these allegations to gain publicity says it will impact his family adversely back home in Agra and also his chances in Bollywood. "I know that my speaking out thus may go against me, but after this incident I want to speak out for those who are being exploited but don't have the courage to go public about this issue."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Holy moly! Who to believe? The director or the struggling actor? We all know that the casting couch does exist. If a male director can try it on with a female actress, then why can't a gay director try it on with a male actor? Surely this also happens. Perhaps the actor is telling the truth. On the other hand, he could be lying. But then the question arises, why would he? I don't know what he would really gain out of tarnishing Onir's image. Either way, it's quite a story!
Edited by Adhuri-Daastan - 13 years ago
sheenu32 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
^^ true.. 
but I think he gave in himself.. as the director said .. hez not little kid.. if he was sensing such stuff why wasn't he beating the director or try to get away and stuff
but who knows this glamour world.. what they say is never what actually happens.
ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Bad behaviour:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

-Mmmmm- thumbnail
I am glad this guy has the guts to speak about it....We willl never know if he was exploited or if it was mutual.....
But Yes... Casting Couch... exploitation of women and men too has become more rampant in showbiz and the modelling world more than before....

But the worse part is nobody... I mean the celebs... seem to care about it... Everyone knows whats happening... everyone is aware of what is happening....Its just that everyone is looking thru it....

All of them are happy living in a bubble... the cocoon they have created....  
I don't know what to believe in this article because both sides sound legitimate

Maddy
, how much exactly is this exploitation "rampant"?....what I mean is what number or percent of those entering showbiz and modeling "seem" to have to deal with this? I hear vague words like "numbers" and "everyone" but that doesn't really specifically explain how often this casting couch stuff happens
What I don't understand is, producers/directors who ask newcomers for sexual favours and all that, aren't they ever scared of getting exposed? For all you know, it could be a journalist with a hidden cam or something (I think Shakti Kapoor was exposed that way). If these people are so desperate for sex, why can't they just pay for it and have a sex worker do it for them?
-Mmmmm- thumbnail
Originally posted by: koolchick

I don't know what to believe in this article because both sides sound legitimate

Maddy
, how much exactly is this exploitation "rampant"?....what I mean is what number or percent of those entering showbiz and modeling "seem" to have to deal with this? I hear vague words like "numbers" and "everyone" but that doesn't really specifically explain how often this casting couch stuff happens

Hmmm... Koolchick... Putting a number would be hard.... But according to one of my friend who works with a production house in Mumbai....atleast 70-80% of people are asked to compromise at some part of the career....Some are asked directly...some indirectly...out of that most of them are the people who come from the small towns... interiors... who come with just a portfolio... encounter it right from the level of the security guard, the chapraasi... it just starts from there and goes all the way up...all in the name of speeding up the process to reach the right people....at what point they succumb to or who they succumb to is hard to know....

The ones who enter with filmi connection.... the modelling connection etc...its not that bad with them....atleast they dont have to deal with the people in the lower end of the ladder....but yes they are asked by the directors... producers... actors....to compromise.... most of the time it is consensual too.... both benifit out of it....

Again... exact numbers are hard to put.... but yes from what i have heard many of the actresses have been there ... done that.... with some of the top actors and top directors... 

"He must've made me drink about six-seven glasses of wine after which he suddenly put the film on pause and told me, 'Let's go and sit in the bedroom as the system there is much better."

You can't be a lallu if you want to enter these fields.. Come on buddy..  six drinks..? You say NO after the first one..!! 😵

Anyways.. he should follow legal suit.. !! But ppl need to be cautious of such pricks..

pooja_l thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
arey whom to believe and whom not to believe, i mean the director is not very very well-known director jisko use karke jyada publicity liya jaa sakta hai ,but at the same time i feel sorry for this struggler, its a sad truth