Tribute to Father of Nation-Remembering Gandhiji

Posted: 13 years ago

Today We are Remembering Father of our Nation

on his 64th death Anniversary

On the 30th January 1948 the man whom the Indian poet Tagore had named Mahatma (Great Soul), was killed by shots from a pistol of Nathu Ram Godse. His whole life he had preached a policy of non-violence.

Only a few days before the assassination, as if he had a premonition, Gandhiji had said:
"Should I die by the bullet of a madman, I have to do so with a smile. There must be no anger in me. God must be in my heart and on my lips and you must promise me one thing: Should such a thing happen, do not shed a tear. I have done my deeds for humanity not requested by any human and I cannot stop on request of anybody. I am like God wanted me and I do as he advises me to do. Let him do with me as he pleases. If he wants to he may kill me. I believe that I do as he orders."

His Famous Last Words were Hey Ram  .

Jawahar Lal Nehru First Prime minister of India addressed the nation on All India Radio after this reckless act of violence against truth.

In his speech he said

The light has gone out, I said, and yet I was wrong. For the light that shone in this country was no ordinary light. The light that has illumined this country for these many years will illumine this country for many more years, and a thousand years later that light will still be seen in this country, and the world will see it and it will give solace to innumerable hearts. For that light represented the living truth ... the eternal truths, reminding us of the right path, drawing us from error, taking this ancient country to freedom.

Here is a tribute prepared by crazy creative team of India-Forums including clip of Nehru's speech ,Gandhiji's cremation and memories.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CES5We0pOY[/YOUTUBE]

Pandit ji further added :A madman has put an end to his life, for I can only call him mad who did it, and yet there has been enough of poison spread in this country during the past years and months, and this poison has effect on people's minds. We must face this poison, we must root out this poison, and we must face all the perils that encompass and face them not madly or badly but rather in the way that our beloved teacher taught us to face them.. The first thing to remember no wish that no one of us dare misbehave because we're angry.

We have to behave like strong and determined people, determined to face all the perils that surround us, determined to carry out the mandate that our great teacher and our great leader had given us, remembering always that if, as I believe, his spirit looks upon us and sees u, nothing would displease his soul so much as to see that we have indulged in any small behavior or any violence.

So we must not do that. But that does not mean that we should be weak, but rather that we should in strength and in unity face all the troubles and difficulties and conflicts must be ended in the face of this great disaster. A great disaster is a symbol to us to remember all the big things of life and forget the small things, of which we have thought too much.

Mahatma Gandhi is one of the most fascinating personalities of the 20th century. His biggest legacy to the World and India is non violence

Gandhiji was disturbed by wide spread violence in newly created divided countries  after failing to stop partition of India . With growing concern he saw how prior to and following the declaration of independence the different groups fell into disunity and fought each other for power. He tried to mediate and called for friendship among the religions.

The news of his death left the whole world in mourning. The United Nations lowered their flags to half-mast. From the Vatican to the Kremlin sympathy was expressed.

Gandhiji Remains great example to the world.

Even today his teachings and values guide all peace loving people around the world and inspire many to follow his path to wards justice and peace.
In India this day is commemorated as Martyrs Day and 2 minutes silence is observed at 11.02 AM in his memory.

We at India-forums salute our great guide to lead us all to path of truth and humanity.Thank you for taking some time out to go through this post

Edited by sami01 - 13 years ago
Very nice post Sameera!!👏
Indeed he was instrumental in many things
And actually my birthday falls on the same day as his
October 2nd. So in a way I am also related to him 😊

Ragupathi Ragava Raja ram !! Pati ta pavana seetha ram !!

Very nice post, Sammy 👏. I shall read it in detail later.Thanks.👍🏼
Beautiful post sami01. 😊
LOIMAS
amazing post 😎

Let us all live in peace as gandhiji had wished.

Nice post.

The nation should follow his principles.

nice post ... hope every one follows all the principles .... if not all ... atleast we all can follow some principles ... & make this world a better place to live ... free of corruption ... violence ... etc....etc.... 😊

Bapu,
Thanks for your contribution towards Indian freedom fight.

Thanks for making this very nice post.
Mera Bharat Mahan
Jai Hind
Sami diiiiii as usual a very wonderfullll post. Thank you very much dii, let us salute our father of our nation.