Sports/Cricket

The Greatest Cricketer Ever? - Page 6

MysticalRealm thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
This content was originally posted by: ShadowKisses

@bhinder.thind: You are contradicting yourself by saying stats don't
tell the true story and simultaneously citing several of Tendulkar's
statistics (for me to infer from, I would assume). Bradman was, as I understand it, the true Colossus of the
game as he averaged 45 more runs that the players of his era. I don't think even Sachin has ever managed that over the entireity of his career.

Fact of matter is quite simple - when *I* was passionate about it and
watched it, Tendulkar ranked behind Dravid
+ Ponting for me. It may be that he played well before and after I watched but I haven't watched enough to praise or condemn him for it. I thought I outlined that clearly.

Don't particularly find your argument regarding Tendulkar and Dravid
convincing, either. SRT has the edge in ODIs (limited overs) no two ways about it but I'd easily give Dravid
the edge in Test matches. I don't know how Dravid has done in the
Twenty20 limited overs format as I haven't been following cricket piously so I can't
comment on that. However, I have seen enough of him prior to that to know he
was a rock in Test series - especially the away ones and this wasn't
just towards the supposed end of his career. He'd walk in at shit scores
like 3-2 and 6-2 and attempt to save face. I do view him as (slighlty more) invaluable to the team as Tendulkar and it will be a sad day when these two, along with Laxman, decide to retire.

Oh come on, Sachin has no weaknesses? That's bull, tbh. I'm willing to listen/read to what you have to say and have a healthy debate but overstatements like that are getting old, fast.

@tom-jerry: I'm sorry but posting stats out of context doesn't really
argue much. Tendulkar averaged 17.25 in Tests back in 2003. That was
his worst year by far. I don't really get where you are pulling
an average of 57 from. If I had to guess, it would probably have been the WC ODIs that boosted his average. Same with 2006. He had an average of 24-25 in Tests and ODIs make it look better. Ironically, 2005 when he didn't flop so badly in Tests is weighed down by poor ODI performances. While it is nothing short of amazing that he has managed to turn his career around after the debacle of 2007 WC campaign, statements like oh, he's always played well aren't necessarily true IMO.

Off to watch more footie :D

Okay so are you trying to say that Sachin sucks?? If that is basically it then why waste your time on thus big huge lecture?? Because honestly if you were to say this tobsomeone in person they will probably box you out! Are all the people who live in India STUPID??? Do they not know the game of cricket?? And if you are going to give us stats to prove your point than save the effort!! Coz man agreed a few years he did score less but that doesnt mean you have lost your skill! If I say that you did something that no human would ever do I wouldnt call you a ape now would I?? If you count his whole 22 year long carreers Average i am sure you'll be DUMBFOUNDED AND BAFFLED by the scores he has recieved in somem matches including the 200 runs!! Seriously dude you can have your opinion but trying to prove urself right by some shyt stats!!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

tomnjerry2 thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail IPL 2023 Participants 2 Thumbnail + 8

@tom-jerry: I'm sorry but posting stats out of context doesn't really argue much. Tendulkar averaged 17.25 in Tests back in 2003. That was his worst year by far. I don't really get where you are pulling an average of 57 from. If I had to guess, it would probably have been the WC ODIs that boosted his average. Same with 2006. He had an average of 24-25 in Tests and ODIs make it look better. Ironically, 2005 when he didn't flop so badly in Tests is weighed down by poor ODI performances. While it is nothing short of amazing that he has managed to turn his career around after the debacle of 2007 WC campaign, statements like oh, he's always played well aren't necessarily true IMO.

Off to watch more footie  :D

A poor run does nto affect ur position by any means whn ur career average is keep growing !!!! 😆 

If u dunno Sachin used to hav an average of 52-53 two three years ago whr as RD had almost 58 !!!! 😛 its all abt consistency.... n its not easy to grow ur career average after playing so many testes unless u sumthing out of the world by 4-5 runs an innngs !!!! 😛 Both Punter n Dravid r having bad times in test cricket for 2-3 years now... n i dun think sachin played enof tests during tht phase ....!!!! 😛

Did i say he always play well... ?? ??  2007 debacle... wr we played just 3 matches n lost two... so ?? we will leave playing once we lost a series ??? if thts so sachin would hav left playing in the  90's whn India used to loose every now n thn !!! 😆 

Keep----------------Smiling !!!!! 😊
MysticalRealm thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: tomnjerry2

A poor run does nto affect ur position by any means whn ur career average is keep growing !!!! 😆 

If u dunno Sachin used to hav an average of 52-53 two three years ago whr as RD had almost 58 !!!! 😛 its all abt consistency.... n its not easy to grow ur career average after playing so many testes unless u sumthing out of the world by 4-5 runs an innngs !!!! 😛 Both Punter n Dravid r having bad times in test cricket for 2-3 years now... n i dun think sachin played enof tests during tht phase ....!!!! 😛

Did i say he always play well... ?? ??  2007 debacle... wr we played just 3 matches n lost two... so ?? we will leave playing once we lost a series ??? if thts so sachin would hav left playing in the  90's whn India used to loose every now n thn !!! 😆 

Keep----------------Smiling !!!!! 😊

agreed!

Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
sab2778 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
sachin is carrying d burden of xpectations of billions for more thn 20 years

performing under pressure 4 so many years makes him

d greatest cricketer of all times 4 me
MysticalRealm thumbnail
@ shadowkisses

I had a question? What are you trying to prove? I simply want to know why you are having issues admitting that Sachin is an outstanding player. I mean are all people around the entire world stupid for worshiping Sachin?  I honestly want an answer. Do you think that we have know idea who plays good an bad? I mean screw that statistics, and think about general. When you ask people about the most renowned cricketer, 99.9 percent of people would say Sachin Tendulkar without listening to the complete question. Then why do you beg to differ? Proving your point with stats and opinions is not going to change reality. I mean genuinely, the greatest cricketer is the one who leaves a mark on your heart, the one who fails to disappoint you, and by chance is he does he will regain his trust. Sachin did have his downfalls, but he came back with a KAPOW! Now, for you maybe Bradman had left the mark on your heart, but for most people on this thread it is THE Sachhin Tendulkar. So PLEASE will you stop trying to prove yourself correct. For the sake of life, everyone has opinions so say that you feel so and so is the greatest cricketer in your opinion and STOP trying to prove yourself correct.

I do not mean to be rude...... Like you are saying how you feel.......... I simply stated how I did.
demolition_man thumbnail
Sachin Tendulkar ........ Who else ?? 😲
wanker thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: -_AfridiMalik_-

sachin cud b the GREATEST batsman but NOT cricketer....

he cant field, he doesnt bowl gud...

I'm guessing you never watched cricket!! 
wanker thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: -_AfridiMalik_-

HALLO HALLO HALLO LECTURER!
LMAO!
stop giving lectures at it... i never questioned his character alryt!? i very well know how humble and down to earth he is so just keep it 2 urself :]
yeah!
dont give me examples of controversies, cz we all know where they RISE from... anyways, why the irrelevant stuff!?
🤣

I'm glad you know where the controversies rise from 👏 
wanker thumbnail

@bhinder.thind: You are contradicting yourself by saying stats don't tell the true story and simultaneously citing several of Tendulkar's statistics (for me to infer from, I would assume). Bradman was, as I understand it, the true Colossus of the game as he averaged 45 more runs that the players of his era. I don't think even Sachin has ever managed that over the entireity of his career.

Both Sachin and Bradman have considerable points that somehow favour one over the other.

1] In the era of Bradman, the one single test lasted for 9 days. The format was reduced to 5-day in 1945 after which he played only 6 tests at an average of 31.4. Bradman's stike rate was not more than 29.7. 

2] He played only 4 spinners in his time- Clarie Grimmett, Headley Verity, Eric Hollies and Bill O'Reilly, none of whom he was comfortable against. In fact, he was bowled by a googly in his last match. Out of these, 2 spinners were of his own team. He played only Verity and O'Reilly in international matches.He admitted that playing spinners was the most tricky thing he faced in life. I highly doubt how he would fare against the spinners if they are available in plenty as in this era. We aren't sure of the quality of bowlers and their pace. 

3] The fielders in his era were not even a quarter as athletic as they are today, the fielding standards were very poor. Most field placings were very aggressive, there were very less players on the boundaries. This explains his heavy dependence of runs on boundaries. 

4] The competition wasn't as intense as it is now. High level of incompetent cricket explains why more matches resulted in draws rather than one of the teams winning.

5] He played only few teams, and at that point of time, it was clearly his team which was most dominant. 

7] He played very less matches as compared to what they play today. Today, players need more stamina to survive all the formats. No wonder, either we see players retiring at a young age today or quitting the test format. He and others got adequate rest and time to prepare himself for further games.

8] Most people in his era didn't take cricket as seriously as he did. Cricket wasn't a profession then, so we can say why his average stands out against his contemporaries. Bradman himself was of the opinion that there were other batsmen, contemporaries of his, who had the talent to be just as prolific as he was but lacked the concentration. Stan McCabe, who needed a particular challenge to bring the best of him, was no doubt one of them. "I wish I could bat like that, he is the greatest ever batsman I have seen." 

9} He never played limited overs cricket, where scoring at a brisk rate is a must.

10] There weren't as many rules at that time. Its said that his bat weighed 6 pounds, I don't know its legitimacy though.

11] The bodyline bowling, which is said as unsporting isn't a genuine reason that he should be rated highly. There are many more deliveries invented today, which could have been rendered as illegal or unsporting then. 

12] Donald Bradman has more not outs per innings than other contemporaries, this is a very huge factor for his high average.

13] Bradman played only in 2 countries, England and Australia, the conditions were familiar.

Sachin Tendulkar 

1] Sachin played in an era where pitches were covered. The bounce was even. Strokemaking(and not runmaking) is easier today.

2] The protective gear is quite of a good quality, adequate, and much lighter today.

3] Players have all the infrastructure needed for practicing- nets, bowling machine etc

4] With the invention of video, one can actually study bowling techniques, no wonder Mendis has now been sorted out. 

5] Sachin has had his share of innumerable injuries, many of them career threatening. This has quite affected his performance.

6} Not just average makes a batsman good. Bradman holds all the records associated with average, while Sachin in terms of quantity. It would have been interesting to know how much Sachin's contemporaries lag behind him in terms of runs scored in all the formats he has played.

Having said all this, there are for and against the motion. Thats what makes this such a wonderful debate, yet inconclusive. The debate is very much on, it does make sense, but as I said, it is inconclusive. Having said this, I'm slightly inclined towards Sachin Tendulkar because I have never seen Sir Donald Bradman bat, but I'm sure that he did justice to all the respect/appreciation that we have for him today.