ETOnline: Stars I Do's and Divorces

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 18 years ago

Star I Do's and Divorces

Wedding bells were ringing and the paparazzi were singing, "Hooray for helicopters!" in 2005. Here, we count down the year's biggest celeb newlyweds ...

BEN AFFLECK AND JENNIFER GARNER
Avoiding the potential "Bennifer" media fiascos of the past, these happily engaged 'Daredevil' co-stars snuck off and married in a secret island ceremony June 29 on the beautiful Turks and Caicos Islands in the Caribbean. The guest list was reportedly tiny, but included Jen's small screen co-star VICTOR GARBER. According to US magazine, Ben had a low-key bachelor party on Friday the 24th while Jennifer finished shooting 'Catch and Release' in Vancouver. A number of friends headed over to their Brentwood home, including his 'Chasing Amy' co-star JASON MEWES for what seemed like a mellow evening. After the Big Day, they headed to Jen's hometown of Charleston, WV, to celebrate their nuptials with family and friends over the Fourth of July holiday weekend.

MATT DAMON and LUCIANA BOZAN
Much like his buddy Ben, MATT DAMON married longtime girlfriend LUCIANA BOZAN in a secret ceremony Dec. 9. Matt's reps confirmed that the wedding took place at a private ceremony in the New York City Clerk's office with only Luciana's 7-year-old daughter, ALEXA, present. The happy couple, who have been together for nearly two years, also have more good news! New bride Luciana is pregnant with the pair's first child and is said to be about three months along.

DONALD TRUMP AND MELANIA KNAUSS
"Melania, you're hired"! "The Apprentice" and his model bride exchanged vows Jan. 22 at a Spanish-gothic cathedral in Palm Beach, FL, built in 1889. Approximately 500 guests witnessed the union, including ELTON JOHN, OPRAH and CATHERINE ZETA-JONES and MICHAEL DOUGLAS. Melania's sister was her only bridesmaid, and The Donald had two best men -- his sons DONALD, JR. and ERIC. Melania wore a $100,000 CHRISTIAN DIOR wedding dress, a creation she first saw on a Parisian runway. The snowy white, strapless, form-fitting gown was reminiscent of the one JACKIE KENNEDY wore to her 1952 wedding. It took 550 hours to make by hand, had a 16-foot train, 1,500 crystals and weighed an astonishing 50 pounds. After the first dance, Melania changed into a beautiful, more maneuverable VERA WANG dress. The lavish reception also took place at the Mar-a-Lago Club in a 17,000-square-foot Crystal Pavilion that the "Apprentice" kingpin had built specifically for the occasion, featuring ornate, gold-inlay decor and a floor of French marble. TONY BENNETT entertained.

SANDRA BULLOCK and JESSE JAMES
When 'Miss Congeniality' star SANDRA BULLOCK, 40, married "Monster Garage" host JESSE JAMES, 35, on July 16, it was a down-home country affair. The sunset ceremony took place at the 334-acre Folded Hills Ranch, which they rented for the event, in the town of Gaviota, north of Santa Barbara, CA. The ranch is owned by ANDREW BUSCH of the Anheuser Busch family. The couple exchanged vows before 200-300 guests, and she wore a dress by ANGEL SANCHEZ and walked down the aisle to a taped aria of her mother, an opera singer, crooning "Casta Diva." Sandra's ring was acquired by NEIL LANE and was vintage with a French theme, featuring two large diamonds intertwining in a platinum setting. Jesse's ring was machined by the bride herself out of stainless steel. Celebrity invitees included 'Miss Congeniality 2' co-stars WILLIAM SHATNER and REGINA KING, JAMIE LEE CURTIS and husband CHRISTOPHER GUEST. JASON BIGGS and DOLPH LUNDGREN were also spotted. And the couple roared off afterwards in a souped-up red truck!

DEMI MOORE AND ASHTON KUTCHER
It was no "punk" when the MTV prankster wed his longtime lady love on Sept. 24. The Kabbalah-style nuptials were performed before a small group of family and friends, including BRUCE WILLIS, "That '70s Show"'s WILMER VALDERRAMA and 'Charlie's Angel' LUCY LIU. Demi's daughters, RUMER, SCOUT and TALLULAH, were bridesmaids and the groom reportedly even cried during the ceremony. Brides don't usually wear veils beyond their first weddings, but in thrice-married Demi's case, the religious, Kabbalah-style nuptials requested it. Her designer friend, ALBER ELBAZ of the JEANNE LANVIN house, made a special dress just for Demi, costing as much as $20,000. The floor-length gown was a traditional sheath with some eye-catching flourishes, such as a veil and jeweled straps. What made it even more stunning was the long, chapel-length veil. Her new groom matched her perfectly in a cream Brooks Brothers suit with RALPH LAUREN buck-suede shoes and a matching cream fedora.

SEAL AND HEIDI KLUM
Supermodel HEIDI KLUM and her musician love SEAL tied the knot May 10 in a small private ceremony on the beaches of Mexico. Klum, who was five months pregnant with their first child at the time, wore a gorgeous VERA WANG gown for the nuptials. News of the couple's engagement initially went public early this year after 41-year-old Seal proposed atop a 14,000-foot glacier in British Columbia. The newlyweds then welcomed their baby boy HENRY September 12th at 7:20 p.m. "Our most treasured moment so far was watching big sister LENI kissing Henry repeatedly on the head. She had been preparing for his arrival for quite some time, pointing to Heidi's stomach every morning, saying the words 'Baby, baby.'" The 31-year-old Klum gave birth to Leni with her former beau, race car driver FLAVIO BRIATORE, last spring.

And sadly splitting,

NICK LACHEY AND JESSICA SIMPSON
While most couples were planning their Thanksgiving get-togethers, MTV's "Newlyweds" were drafting their breakup announcement. After months of denials, the pop stars admitted their three-year marriage, celebrated in book and her many songs, was kaput. The announced the split in this statement on Nov. 23, just hours before the holiday weekend: "After three years of marriage, and careful thought and consideration, we have decided to part ways. This is the mutual decision of two people with an enormous amount of respect and admiration for each other. We hope that you respect our privacy during this difficult time."

JENNIFER ANISTON AND BRAD PITT
The breakup heard 'round the world became final on October 2, 2005. After six years together, BRAD PITT and JENNIFER ANISTON announced news of their separation in January of this year, with Aniston filing for divorce in March, citing irreconcilable differences. The two stars began dating in 1998 and married in July of 2000.

EDDIE AND NICOLE MURPHY
The 'Shrek' funnyman and his beautiful wife, NICOLE, announced after 12 years together that they are divorcing. Nicole filed the petition August 5 in Los Angeles, citing irreconcilable differences and Eddie released the following statement: "The welfare of our children is our main concern and their best interest is our first priority." Eddie's older brother CHARLIE MURPHY told us, "Everyone is surprised, everyone is heartbroken. Obviously, they came to a point where they want to go separate directions. That happens all the time. It's unfortunate but it's another part of life." The couple has four daughters and one son.

RENE ZELLWEGER and KENNY CHESNEY
Their secret romance became public in May when they ran off to wed in the Virgin Islands. Sadly, it wasn't meant to last. The 'Bridget Jones' cutie and the country singer announced their split on Sept. 14 when Zellweger filed for the annulment. Later, he told Country Weekly: "I'm all right, I'm good. There have been better times, but I'll be OK." The "When the Sun Goes Down" singer explained to the October 24 issue of the publication why the marriage may have dissolved. "I hit everything so hard this year," he said. "I had the biggest tour I've ever done, I had a record to finish that was real important to me, and, of course, I had something new in my personal life ... it ended up being too much."

TORI SPELLING and CHARLIE SHANIAN
Just over a year ago they tied the knot in a blowout ceremony at her father's gorgeous estate with "90210" alumnae IAN ZIERING, TIFFANI THIESSEN, JENNIE GARTH and JASON PRIESTLEY in attendance. But in August, rumors surfaced that the two had separated and were living apart. On Oct. 13, the "90210" hottie filed official papers in response to her screenwriter/actor husband's request for divorce, citing "irreconcilable differences."

PARIS HILTON and PARIS LATSIS
She bragged about having two engagement rings to wear, but the hotel celebutante and her Greek shipping heir never did make it to the altar. They became engaged in the spring and she first received a yellow diamond from "boy Paris," but reportedly wasn't thrilled with having a yellow diamond for an engagement ring. So the couple shopped around and decided on a 24-carat, multi-million dollar, emerald-cut (white) sparkler. Alas, Hilton soon called off the wedding, feeling she didn't want to make a mistake and rush such a serious commitment. Latsis said in a statement: "I don't know what the future may hold, but I respect her decision and appreciate the very kind and generous manner in which she is handling her very difficult decision. This was the best experience of my life and I will always be grateful for it."

2005 Kevin Winter / Getty Images
Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck

Luciana Bozan and Matt Damon

Donald Trump and Melania Knauss

2005 Mark Mainz / Getty Images
Heidi Klum and Seal

Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson

2005 Evan Agostini / Getty Images
Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore