MichaelJackson-The King Of Pop....6th fanclub - Page 5

Posted: 13 years ago

January -- Michael donated the coat that he wore in May 2000 to Dame Elizabeth Taylor's tribute concert in London to Liam Neeson's Movie for Action Charity Auction, in aid of children and mothers with HIV. This charity is working in conjunction with UNICEF. Michael has also donated a private and personal 'birthday phone call' to a lucky bidder.

September -- Michael donated 16 autographed items consisting of CD's, videos and 2 cotton napkins to aid in the support of the victims of a severe flood in Germany. These items were auctioned off for charity and managed to raise 3935 Euro (US$ 3,814).

October -- Michael hosted more than 200 members of the U.S. Air Force and their families at Neverland on October 12, 2002 as a gesture of appreciation for those brave men and women who have served overseas in Operation Enduring Freedom and domestically in Operation Noble Eagle.

November -- Michael donated an autographed white trademark fedora and a silver sequined jacket worn by himself at the 2002 American Music Awards to the 'Tribute To Bambi' charity auction. These items were auctioned off by eBay and monies raised from the event benefited "OFF-ROAD-KIDS e.V" which supports street kids in Germany. Michael's fedora raised 2310 Euro (US$ 2,303) and the jacket raised 16.000 Euro (US$ 15,950).
Micheal donated an autographed teddy bear dressed in his likeness to Siegfried & Roy's celebrity teddy bear auction. This auction benefits Opportunity Village which is a non-profit organization based in Las Vegas (USA) that enhances the lives of individuals with intellectual disabilities and their families. Michael's autographed teddy bear raised US$ 5,000 for the charity.

September -- Michael donated 16 autographed items consisting of CD's, videos and 2 cotton napkins to aid in the support of the victims of a severe flood in Germany. These items were auctioned off for charity and managed to raise 3935 Euro (US$ 3,814).

October -- Michael hosted more than 200 members of the U.S. Air Force and their families at Neverland on October 12, 2002 as a gesture of appreciation for those brave men and women who have served overseas in Operation Enduring Freedom and domestically in Operation Noble Eagle.

November -- Michael donated an autographed white trademark fedora and a silver sequined jacket worn by himself at the 2002 American Music Awards to the 'Tribute To Bambi' charity auction. These items were auctioned off by eBay and monies raised from the event benefited "OFF-ROAD-KIDS e.V" which supports street kids in Germany. Michael's fedora raised 2310 Euro (US$ 2,303) and the jacket raised 16.000 Euro (US$ 15,950).
Micheal donated an autographed teddy bear dressed in his likeness to Siegfried & Roy's celebrity teddy bear auction. This auction benefits Opportunity Village which is a non-profit organization based in Las Vegas (USA) that enhances the lives of individuals with intellectual disabilities and their families. Michael's autographed teddy bear raised US$ 5,000 for the charity.

Edited by mj_applehead - 13 years ago

June -- The Wolf family, who experienced serious damages to their belongings during a flood in Germany, was invited by Michael Jackson to spend three days at Neverland, meeting Michael and his children.

September 13 -- Michael hosted a star-studded charity event at Neverland. Only 400 tickets were available for purchase. Ticket price at pre-sale was $725, with proceeds going to charity. Among those in attendance were Aaron and Nick Carter, Mike Tyson, Penny Marshall, Pink, and Boys II Men, to name a few. R&B singer Ashanti performed her hit single, 'Aww Baby' mixed with Michael's hit 'Rock With You', from the 'Off The Wall' album. The Carter brothers later presented Michael with a belated birthday cake. This led to a massive food fight—which Michael started.
Michael addressed those in attendance: "Thank you all for coming tonight. For in my opinion, in my opinion, is a very special cause and the cause is our future and the future is our children. I will continue to fight for them for the rest of my life."

October 27 -- Michael premiered the short film for his latest charity single titled "What More Can I Give?" in the conference area of the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada. The same day, the official "Music for Giving" web site was up and running. Beginning at 3 pm (Pacific Standard Time), the charity single "What More Can I Give?" became available online for download for a donation of $2. The following charities received donations when "What More Can I Give" was downloaded:
  • Oneness
  • Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation
  • The International Child Art Foundation
November 9 -- Michael Jackson donated painted shoes for charity. A shoe manufacturer named Tatami had the idea to create a charity titled "Shoes For Charity" for children suffering from traumas. Celebrities, including Michael Jackson, gave their donated shoes a special and unique touch by painting them.

October 27 -- Michael Jackson received the Radio Music Awards' first Humanitarian Award. The award was presented to him by pop singer Beyonce' Knowles. Knowles is among a number of artists who participated in Michael's charity single, 'What More Can I Give?'

April 1 -- Michael received the Humanitarian Award from The African Ambassadors' Spouses Association (AASA) for his worldwide humanitarian efforts, particularly in Africa. Michael financially supported programs in Africa to build and equip hospitals, orphanages, homes, and schools and financially supported programs for Child immunization, HIV-AIDS, Education, and Apartheid.

March 14 -- Michael gave complimentary tickets to orphans and handicapped and physically-challenged people so that they could attend a 'Fan Appreciation' event in Tokyo. At the event, Michael went onto the balcony to greet them all.

May 29 -- Michael persuaded an auction house in Las Vegas to donate a portion of its profits of auctioning off lots of memorabilia of the Jackson family to charity.

The Early Years:

In 1969, Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 perform at a benefit concert for their home county, Indiana's mayor, Richard G. Hatcher.

On Christmas Day, 1972, in Los Angeles, California, the 14 year old singer and the Jackson 5, dressed as Santas, make their appearance at a foundation, to visit and offer presents - on behalf of their record company, Motown - to 700 underprivileged children.
In an article, titled "The Jackson 5 Really Changed!", the writer points out that "The first time the J-5 did a benefit at a children's hospital, Michael came home and cried all night at the memory of all those sick children lying in beds, some not even able to move their hands to clap. That is when he became actively involved in communicating with these kids. He corresponds with youngsters his own age in hospital all over the country. These are not letters dictated to a secretary by a superstar, but letters written in Michael's own hand during breaks in recording or rehearsing or even in school."
During that season, the Jackson 5 perform Christmas songs during a benefit concert at the "Foundation for the Junior Blind" for 1000 visually impaired children, 400 of which attending the benefit party. On his thoughts about the event, Michael Jackson declares: "You know, really, this is what Christmas is all about - giving."

Early in 1972, the Jackson 5 perform a benefit concert, helping to raise the start-up funds for the "Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Social Change" in Atlanta, Georgia.

In September, 1972, the Jackson 5, and a variety of entertainers, perform for "Save The Children", a film theme of the 1972 "Black Exposition" and conducted by "Operation PUSH" ("People To Save Humanity") in the Amphitheater of Chicago, the event highlighting, among musical acts, footage of the city's black population, their churches, schools, slums and playgrounds, and promoting the hope for an improved future, benefiting the children of Chicago, Illinois.

On March 7, 1973, young Michael Jackson visits the bedside of 6-year old Leslie Robinette - suffering from from aplastic anemia caused by the genetic disease fanconi anemia – at the Seattle Children's Hospital - then The Children's Orthopedic Hospital and Medical Center. Robinette received a bone marrow transplant, and was one of the youngest to ever have the procedure. She went through chemotherapy, radiation, an ever-changing plethora of medications and was kept in isolation for three months; her state of health was precarious, the doctors saying, after she was dismissed from the hospital, that she might live 10 years. "I was sitting in my room looking out the window, ironically listening to 'Looking Through the Window' by the Jackson 5, when I heard all the nurses going wild and carrying on", Robinette declares 26 years later. Coincidentally, the Jackson 5 were there. "They asked me which one I wanted to see, and I said I wanted to see Michael - he was the cute one", she says, laughing. She describes teenage Jackson as shy, but kind and sincere, signing an autographer for her, holding her hand and asking about her state. "I would never say that he saved her life - that's crazy - but he gave her back a little of her will to live because she had lost it", Trine Robinette, Leslie's sister adds. Leslie eventually did improve, and her family returned to their farm in Greeneville, Tenn., where she still lives with her parents. 11 years later, Leslie met Jackson again, while he was on tour in Knoxville with his brothers, where she received free tickets, then went backstage to meet the Jackson clan. "I asked him if he remembered me, and he said yes. We talked about my singing in chorus and how I was getting my back brace off soon", Robinette says. Jackson then told his security detail that she was his guest, so she got to watch the third show from a raised VIP platform, seated right next to Jackson's mother, Katherine. Still struggling with her disease, she is less than 4 feet tall and weighs about 60 pounds, but she is now 42 and is involved in North American Riding for the Handicapped Association and currently is training to become an instructor. "I've always felt that Michael and I were kind of kindred spirits, because we both grew up not being able to really go anywhere or do anything normal kids do", Robinette says, adding that she hopes people will remember Michael Jackson for his good deeds and music.
On January 29, 1974, the Jackson 5 start their one-week tour in Dakar, Senegal (Africa), where they perform concerts, attend representations from several African dancers, visit the humble dwelling places of some inhabitants there, and also pose for pictures with and sign autographs for them, among sightseeing and shopping experiences.

In 1977, The Jacksons (as they would name themselves since 1975) visit the impoverished areas of Trinidad, Port-au-Spain, namely the economically deprived inhabitants, not affording to attend a Jacksons' concert. Michael Jackson enters their cardboard – stone houses and visits and greets the Catholic – school girls therein. The mentioned year finds The Jacksons competing with other teams of entertainers in the "Rock 'N' Roll Sports Classics" special program; being joined in their East team by affiliated show business members, they are awarded as first – place winners of the competition with a set of 20,000 dollars, a charitable contribution funneled to the University of California, U.S.A.

On May 17, 1977, the Jacksons flow to Glasgow, Scotland for a command performance for Queen Elizabeth II, with proceeds of the show going to the Silver Jubilee Fund. The Fund was established 1977 to commemorate the Queen's Silver Jubilee, and its purpose is to enable a small number of senior students in Cumbria's schools and colleges to undertake work experience projects of academic nature overseas, connected to industry, service to the community, the arts, sport etc.

In January, 1979, the singer donates a certain amount of books to the "Chicago Public Library's Young Adult Section", and, on occasion of a library project, "Boogie To The Book Beat", he delivers a speech on the importance of reading.
In 1980, Michael Jackson performs song "Rock With You" at "Because We Care", a UNICEF Charity Gala. "Thank you. Thank you very much. Thank you very much, not only for your applause, but thank you for caring; and I'm very happy to be here. I love you all. Thank you", he says to the audience after performing his song.

The 1980's

Around 1980, while touring in Philadelphia, Michael Jackson and The Jacksons visit the local Children's Hospital, the group making other such relief apperances during their tours.

On July 22, 1981, The Jacksons give a special benefit concert for the "Atlanta Children's Foundation" at the Omni Auditorium in Atlanta, Georgia, and raise 100,000 dollars for the charity, subsequently to lengthy episodes of Black youth disappearances and murders in the mentioned city. Speaking on behalf of himself and his brothers, Michael Jackson reveals, "We Are doing this because we care". LeBaron Taylor, vise president and general manager of Divisional Affairs for CBS Records, distributor of Epic Efforts for whom the Jacksons record, and coordinator of the special event comments, "We are pleased that The Jacksons have scheduled this special performance for such a worthy cause [...]".

During the years of residing at Hayvenhurst mansion with his family, Michael Jackson accepts a large number of children's requests to visit him there through foundatio
ns such as "Make A Wish", most of these visits not being publicized, sister La Toya Jackson confirms in her 1991 autobiography, as well as the singer himself. The young visitors would be treated to screenings, sweets to their preference from the residence's Candy Store, to petting the exotic pets of his menagerie, to arcade and video - game playing and the like.

* An animal advocate as well, the singer rescues a chimpanzee (that would become his pet animal) from a cancer research facility in Texas, U.S., around 1983, and would, moreover, house other endangered species of animals as part of his menageries from both Hayvenhurst and Neverland ranches throughout the years.