Posted: 13 years ago
So Chanakya made the oath that until he doesn't destroy Dhananand he will not tie his 'shikha'. But what exactly is the significance of this? This question was in my mind after watching the episode so I googled it and am sharing the answer I got with you all. πŸ˜ƒ

From the time of the Vedas, the shikha was a distinguishing feature of the Brahmins, Kshatriyas and Vaishyas. It signified the 'twice-born' or all those Upanayanam has been performed. At the time of Chudakarana, a tuft of hair was left on the head, never to be cut. This shikha covered a large part of the brain.

According to Sushruta, the reason that a few tufts are left on the head is that at the crown, an artery joins a critical nerve juncture. Since an injury to this part of the head is believed to be fatal, it was considered necessary to protect the area by keeping a tuft of hair over it. The shikha was a symbol of superiority and of cleanliness.

Any religious or auspicious ceremony required the shikha to be tied in a knot. The knot was tied to the accompaniment of the Gayatri Mantra. An untied shikha was a symbol of disgrace, impurity and mourning.Only funerals and death anniversaries are performed with the shikha untied or with disheveled hair. Disheveled hair is considered inauspicious, and represents times of great sorrow or calamity. 

In Hindu scripture, Draupadi took an oath in the assembly of the Kurus after she was molested by Dussasana that she would remain with dishevelled hair until the enemies were properly revenged.
i think  coz Dhananand  said , that "iskee garimaa iskee shikha mei basti hai naa" & ordered to  throw Him out clutching  his hair , thats why i think Chanakya took the oath , that until get gets back His pride & honour & take revenge of the insult . He will not tie his hair 😊

This is my personal opinion 😊

cool info .. u research is always perrrrrfect !
i agree with rinku ....

Edited by ...PARiNA... - 13 years ago
thanks a lot vedo for sharing this piece of information.....πŸ€—being a hindu bramin i didnt know abt this at all...... but thanks to u i know know the significance of that shikha......😳
Thanx so much fr shrng this vedo.
I didnt know nethng about it b4.

Originally posted by rinku4u

i think  coz Dhananand  said , that "iskee garimaa iskee shikha mei basti hai naa" & ordered to  throw Him out clutching  his hair , thats why i think Chanakya took the oath , that until get gets back His pride & honour & take revenge of the insult . He will not tie his hair 😊

You have explained it nicely and I agree!! πŸ‘πŸΌ Because he was insulted by Dhananand in that way (dragging him out by his shikha) he took the oath on his shikha for D's destruction.

It is very similar to the story of Draupadi. Because Dushasan grabbed her by the hair and dragged her into the sabha (after which she was insulted even more) she vowed that until the destruction of those that insulted her doesn't happen she will not tie her hair.

Originally posted by Vedo

You have explained it nicely and I agree!! πŸ‘πŸΌ Because he was insulted by Dhananand in that way (dragging him out by his shikha) he took the oath on his shikha for D's destruction.

It is very similar to the story of Draupadi. Because Dushasan grabbed her by the hair and dragged her into the sabha (after which she was insulted even more) she vowed that until the destruction of those that insulted her doesn't happen she will not tie her hair.

that is the way ppl use to oath at that time ... thought there was good time gap btwn Draupati and Chanakya πŸ˜› .. par woh loog apni baat ke pakke hote the .. pratigya le le to le li .. aise nahin ki beech mein break kar de πŸ˜†
Originally posted by ...PARiNA...

cool info .. u research is always perrrrrfect !
i agree with rinku ....

Thanks Parri dear ...😊😊

Originally posted by ...PARiNA...

that is the way ppl use to oath at that time ... thought there was good time gap btwn Draupati and Chanakya πŸ˜› .. par woh loog apni baat ke pakke hote the .. pratigya le le to le li .. aise nahin ki beech mein break kar de πŸ˜†

The proverb "every event must have a cause" didnt come just like that.It does have some literal meaning, but we who are 2des youth tag these things as obsolete, rustic , tacky & what not. But we forget that they were far more intellectual & modern than us, who atleast  gave hint to the greatest inventions on which we put our seal .😊

Thanks Vedo dear 😊 These were real persons of honour i guess 😊 coz their open hair will always remind them of the insult they went through there by giving  the mission full priority πŸ˜Š & Chanakya didnt sit with peace until He  dethroned Dhananand  thereby wiping out the whole Nanda dynasty ...😊

Edited by rinku4u - 13 years ago
Thanks dear i always used to wonder dat why people or brahmachari left the small area of head with hair when they remove there all hairs,now i got it. so thanks a tonn dear.