TOI: Ready to RING in-Commitment?-Aamir/Sanjee

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Ready to 'ring' incommitment?

Harshada Rege, TNN | Mar 23, 2011, 12.00am IST

The word 'commitment' certainly has a ring to it, but seems like the 'commitment ring' doesn't make women jump with joy anymore. 

Recently, Emmy-Award winning American comedian Joan Rivers posted a message claiming that it was probably a generation thing, but a commitment ring seems a bit disappointing. 

And girls in aamchi Mumbai agree with her wholeheartedly. They would rather go for the real thing (read: engagement ring) than settle for a token of a guy's intentions. What is it that they say about there being many a slip between the cup and the lip? That seems to be case with most Hollywoodcouples who had bought each other these bands. But then there are those who have that cherished ring on their finger and swear by it. As for guys it doesn't really matter. 

It works: Kashmera Shah and boyfriend Krushna Abhishek may have their share of ups and down, but the couple says that they are committed to sorting the problems. Says, Kashmera, "Krushna gave me the ring four-and-a-half years ago when we began dating. And I must say that I was mighty impressed, especially because I was just out of a serious relationship." Model Sucheta Sharma who's dating Harrison says, "I won't ask my guy for a ring, but if he does give me one I'd love it." 

Keep it simple: Queenie Singh, who is dating Farhad Taraporevala, says that there are no rules to giving or receiving commitment rings. She feels it need not just be the guy who has to give the girl a ring. "The heart doesn't follow such rules. It definitely is a statement about your commitment for another person," she says. 

Speaking about commitment rings, Queenie adds, "These rings are minimalist. They aren't as fancy as engagement ring." 

The naysayers: However, many girls say that it doesn't really matter. Sanjeeda Shaikh, who has been dating Aamir Ali since 2007 doesn't expect any such commitment. She says, "I am not even a believer in engagement rings. For me marriage is the real thing." And that must be a relief for boyfriend Aamir, who says, "Men as it is keep spending all through their life, so I guess its okay to give one more ring." But the actor doesn't take it seriously. "My actions would speak how serious I am about my relationship," he adds. 

Does it work? Kashmera sure thinks it does. "I haven't cheated on Krushna, neither has he cheated on me," she laughs. Smilie isn't sure about how seriously people take these rings. "People give each other engagement rings and wedding rings and don't really bother to keep that promise," she points.

I want one: Smilie Suri who is dating Shaheer Sheikh feels that it's a cute concept. "I am sure any girl would feel special if her guy was to give her a relationship ring. I am definitely going to demand that he gets me one. Besides being a commitment ring it will be another addition to the collection," she says. 

Commitment rings in Hollywood 
In January 2011, Joe Jonas reportedly gave Twilight actress, Ashley Greene a ring as a sign of their commitment to each other. Jonas allegedly gave the ring to Greene and she has been wearing it since the holidays. However, recent reports claim that the couple has parted ways. 

In January Cristine Reyes received a promise ring from her boyfriend Rayver Cruz. Cristina reportedly misplaced the ring, but then found it too. 

Stephanie Meyer — author of The Twilight series — designed and brought into market a commitment ring in 2010. The ring is similar to the one Edward Cullen presents to Bella Swan in the vampire tale. Like other merchandise, this too was a big hit with teenagers. 

Charlize Theron was seen sporting a commitment ring given to her by Stuart Townsend till early 2010, but the two broke up later in the year. 

Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens have broken off recently. They, apparently, had the rings personalised with one other's names. 

In July 2008, Lindsay Lohan presented her then-girlfriend Samantha Ronson with a commitment ring. Much has happened since then and the two are no longer a couple. 

Halle Berry has accepted a $10,000 commitment ring from boyfriend Gabriel Aubry in 2008. The actress expressed her disappointment with marriage, after two of hers ended. And this 'committed' relationship also ended in a bitter custody battle over daughter Nahla between the couple.