Visiting a phychiatrist

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 13 years ago
Do you feel we should be ashamed of going to phychiatrist?Is always going to a phychiatrist mean you are mad and incapable of leading a normal life?I have a friend who was very afraid of dying and she used to think that she will die once she steps out of her home.I suggested her to consult a phychiatrist.But her family was completely against it.They felt it is a shameful thing to visit the phychiatrist.So she went on her own.And now she is almost alright and is happy and cheerful.She got married last year.Recently her husband came to know about her visiting phychiatrist.And now he is taunting her saying that she is a mad.He always keeps on saying,"Why didn't you tell me before that you are a phycho.You cheated on me.I am living with a mad."The husband even don't want to take baies as he feels that his babies will be phycho also.Now my friend is again back to deepression mood.But she is unable to visit her doctor as his husband feels it will tarbish his reputation.

So my question is-Do you feel whoever visits a phychiatrist should be ashamed?And should the family will also neglect the matter?
Edited by JONAKIHATESYOU - 13 years ago
Did you just say, leading a normal wife

Anyway, alright - no, ya. Seeking help from a psychiatrist doesn't always mean you're insane. When it does, you'd not want to visit one. That's the thing. We are most likely not to accept the problem with us if it's really too serious.

My counselor is my chemistry teacher. Out of the blue, she ended up calling me to her one day and asked me what was wrong. I dint know it was written allover my face, but I needed help. That's how things are. People will notice if you need a professional's consultancy, and then it would be like wise to have some sessions with them.

Regardless they'd either help you heal or you'd come our insaner from their office. 

And sadly, yes. Families do neglect such issues, especially in a country like ours where anything and everything is a downright threat to people's dignity and their rapport with the society and all that crap. It is sad, indeed.
Edited by -Kanky- - 13 years ago

Its your life, you need to do what needs to be done! If you feel the need to visit a psychiatrist or a counselor then do so by all means. Getting one's doubts cleared is always better than to live with the fear and waiting for something to happen. Take action while you can before things get worse. No one will come to your rescue then. If it's a family member who is affected, you must not hesitate to seek professional help where required. Better safe than sorry. Here's what can happen if we avoid timely help   -  http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Noida-horror-Sisters-starve-all-alone/articleshow/7966000.cms

NOt everyone can handle stress well and it is also a process of learning  to cope.
These days most top sportsmen have their own psychiatrist to help them. And I think it is very useful.
Professional help is great.

We should be more open minded. Everyone has a little madness and craziness over something and often most people do have fear about certain things.
What is "normal" ? I think it is normal to be crazy sometimes.
sometimes seeking some professional help is necessary especially if the parents or teachers are not capable to handling the situation.

Some are crazy for power, some for wealth , some over women ...We have all sorts of mad men.
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=257766

This topic had been covered before.
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

Yes we have quite a few repeat topics, but then the old ones have expired😆
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

that was way back in 2006 almost 5 years ago
Rather than calling it a psychiatrist perhaps the term should be called counselling .

Term psychiatrist sounds like severe mental cases of the dark sort.

The case about the two sisters in NOIDA was really tragic but its not an isolated case. They were in chronic depression that was undetected even by their own family members and by the time it came to light it was toolate. The brother is repenting now. The elder sisters death might have been averted if they had not neglected the signs and avoided professional help.
The RWA was blaming the police but what can theplice do if the women locked themselves in their own house? Who takes care of such cases?
Psychiatrist is also a doctor. If we don't feel ashamed to visit a doctor for our physical issues, why should one be ashamed of visiting a doctor for their mental issues. And simply having mental trouble doesn't mean one is mad, that is medieval prejudice.

I don't know the extent of your friend's problem. But if it is serious enough, then yes she/ her parents should've informed her fiance before they got married. If it's nothing much, then the husband is acting like a jackass and deserves a kick up his backside. Having said that, even if her condition was serious enough to begin with and the information was suppressed, that doesn't give her husband any right whatsoever to stop her from visiting a psychiatrist.