Why my love of reading went away

Posted: 13 years ago

😭  Over the years of school exams and books, I lost my interest for reading.  After finishing my master's degree several years back, I stopped reading!  The only time I have to read is limited.  I don't buy books or even read the newspapers.  I read everything online and my joy of reading will never come back it seems.

Do you think reading is a must for life?  😊
reading for me is like a way of relaxing myself.. when i have had a long day. an hour or so of reading really helps me relax. besides, its a great way of exercising your brain, I beleive. You can put urself in the shoes of the charecters imagine how you would have felt if you were in the positon, what is the best thing to do etc. 

I have always loved reading. The only time i stopped reading was probably when i was about 14-15 ish. when my 'rebel' phase  was on.

I wouldn't say essential but it think it is pretty important.😆
Also, I am very sorry to hear about your loss of love for reading. I would be really upset if it happend to me.

I suggest, you try pick up and book and read. Once a book lover, always a book lover, even though you may have had gaps in the middle.  

Find a book which is known for being awesome 'unputdownable' the reviews will say and start reading. and Im sure, you can pick your habit bk up from there. :)
Clear your mind of all the prejudices before and try the Harry Potter series - trust me, you will find your interest back. But you need to be patient and give it some time before it can captivate and enthrall you.
Posted: 12 years ago
My mother has gotten the same problem. She was some oh-so-avid a reader during her teenage and then college. Now she barely reads the newspapers and my brother's alien school diary full of red marks! That's like a pity-worthy thing! ðŸ¤”

I read, I write but I can't speak even after all the 'confidence' that I have. The thing is, it's bout the temperament. I can pen down all I have in mind in five minutes, read even quicker something of interest but I cannot speak as efficiently.

Maybe you've gotten the temperamental problem too. So all you can do is, remind yourself everyday you are supposed to read. By 2012, you might just pick up the newspaper and scan through! 
Edited by -Kanky- - 12 years ago
^^same problem with me, I am a terrible public speaker but ask me to write something and I can do it beautifully, I can read books within hours but its so hard for me to say something

reading is just for me to get away and go into another persons mind... it takes me to a different place, land, and time.. I enjoy the thrill

but sometimes yeah school does get in the way but I make sure I try to have a good read whenever i get a chance
Originally posted by desigrl05

^^same problem with me, I am a terrible public speaker but ask me to write something and I can do it beautifully, I can read books within hours but its so hard for me to say something

reading is just for me to get away and go into another persons mind... it takes me to a different place, land, and time.. I enjoy the thrill

but sometimes yeah school does get in the way but I make sure I try to have a good read whenever i get a chance
Yeah, that's actually exceedingly sickening because the higher you get on reading and writing, the more hopeless a speaker you emerge as. I dunno, I kinda made a fool out of myself once, but then I realized I was amidst fifty more fools so it dint matter. However, I will sure have to work on my speaking skills, and I think that sucks!
Edited by -Kanky- - 12 years ago
Same here...when I was younger, in school, you'd always see me reading no matter what. Always engrossed in a book.
But then I went to high school and the rate at which I read and how much I read went down, mostly because I began getting assigned readings that took up a significant amount of time and made me view reading as somewhat boring.
But, I still read a novel sometimes, if I can find a good one. And I'm accustomed to reading the newspaper, magazines, and online articles on a daily basis.
To an extent, yes, I do think reading is essential, because it brings new ideas to your mind and gives you a fresh outlook on life.
For me however, i think it's been the opposite. Assigning certain amounts of reading needed to be done in Elementary really got me to start reading. After that, i've been an avid reader. Reading is my favourite past time and i find it so relaxing and perfect. I just love books.

I have continued to read-even now as i'm in my last year of high school. I love reading and i'm pretty sure that i will continue to do so.

-Jot.
Originally posted by -Kanky-

Yeah, that's actually exceedingly sickening because the higher you get on reading and writing, the more hopeless a speaker you emerge as. I dunno, I kinda made a fool out of myself once, but then I realized I was amidst fifty more fools so it dint matter. However, I will sure have to work on my speaking skills, and I think that sucks!

I literally pushed my senior seminar to the very last day of school because I was terrified of speaking in front of an audience (my classmates + entire chem department) ... I went really fast and fumbled alot but when it was done it was a relief... I dont studder nor do I talk gibberishly but my thoughts are so unorganized that it makes it 10x harder for me to speak in public than a normal person :X and yes as you get older it gets more akward