CID

Aditya Srivastav (Abhijeet) information - Page 2

visrom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 13 years ago

Here's an article. I'll not say anything. Read it fully and find out what's the most sweet, touching part.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Dil Pe Mat Le Yaar! ' A bittersweet life by Hansal Mehta

I hate the past. But I still cannot help looking back. Dil Pe Mat Le Yaar is perhaps the most bittersweet experience of my life. A film whose highs and lows began way before it even started.

Sometime in August 1997 music baron Gulshan Kumar was brutally killed by unidentified assailants. There were many unsuccessful attempts on film personalities before this and it was a fearful time. Dreaded gangsters and 'eminent' film personalities were named in many conspiracy theories that followed this shocking murder. But who were the guys that finally pulled the trigger? What were their compulsions? What was their motive? These questions kept plaguing me as I tried to visualize the murder.

I think of myself as a voyeur pretending to be a film-maker. I love making films about internal conflict arising out of shocking tales that one reads in newspapers. I love all the agony aunt columns because they discuss issues related to human inadequacy and give you a peek into private worlds. So coming back to 'Dil Pe'', I was intrigued by the idea of making a film about the man who actually pulled the trigger on Gulshan Kumar. I wanted to be there on the scene of the crime to see his face. I wanted to see the killer and his victim before that defining moment. The idea for 'Dil Pe'' began to take shape.

My killer would be an ordinary migrant in the city of Mumbai. I wanted him to be a casual textile mill worker (casual ' daily wages worker). I wanted my character, that of the voyeur, to be this workers best friend. I wanted him to be a marriage videographer (this was a term used for people who covered marriages, I don't know if the term still exists). Not many people are aware that before I began my journey in television and films I used to shoot marriages. And before shooting marriages I worked in a textile mill! My story was about Mumbai ' a city where for every fulfilled dream there are a few thousand shattered dreams. My story was about one such shattered dream and about the extent of internal destruction it could cause to people who seemed most innocent. My story was about desperation leading to people finding opportunity in the midst of maximum adversity. The idea was taking shape in my mind. But I was still making my first film 'Jayate'' then. The idea was too radical and I had no hopes of finding a producer to back this thought. But the idea kept troubling me. Everyday a new thought kept cropping up. A story was taking shape.

I shared my idea with two of my closest friends and associates then ' Manoj Bajpai and Anurag Kashyap. If I remember correctly 'Satya'' was being shot then. We had very little idea about what life had in store for us. A fledgling director, a passionate writer and a struggling actor. We got drunk that night. I gave Manoj and Anurag a handsome signing amount of One Rupee. We decided that we would make this film. And we continued drinking'

I made 'Jayate''. It never got released. 'Satya' was successful. Manoj Bajpai aka Bhiku Mhatre became a star overnight. Anurag Kashyap became a celebrated writer. He was also ready with a script that he wanted to direct. I think it was called 'Mirage'. It was later rechristened 'Paanch'. I had an unreleased film and was back to doing television. I guess all of us drifted apart then, charting our own respective destinies. 'Dil pe'' was put on the back-burner. No money, no career, nobody to back the story and the director'

I was shooting for a short story called 'Ae Mote' for a slot called 'Rishtey' on Zee TV. As the title suggests it was about a fat man. It was a fat man's love story. Saurabh Shukla was playing the main protagonist. Television budgets were extremely restrictive and schedules were very demanding. I had to complete the 45 minute story in 3 days. The last day of the shoot was crazy. I had around 25 minutes of the story left to complete. It was going to be a long, extended shift. We began at 7 am and the shoot lasted around 30 hours. At 10.30 pm we were exhausted. Saurabh was trying to kick the smoking habit. He had been successful until then. An exhausted Saurabh asked me for a cigarette and sat down with me. He was going through a depression because of some confusion over a story that he had written for Ramgopal Verma. I think the film was 'Kaun'. What seems trivial today was a big issue then. I am digressing again. Back to 'Dil pe..'.

I think a director's job is mostly about managing creative talent. Film-making is more about handling varied temperaments, assuaging anger, managing frustration and motivating people in the face of extreme adversity. Film-making is about making talented, disparate individuals focus on a singular vision. To keep Saurabh awake I decided to take his attention away from the impending schedule and exhaustion. I sat him down and narrated my story to him. Suddenly, he was awake. I had pressed the right buttons. He offered to write the film ' FREE. The only condition was that he would play the marriage videographer. 'Dil pe'' was back in my life. We finished the shoot and kept meeting over the script.

Saurabh's take on the story was fascinating. He saw it as an 'end of innocence' story. He saw it as a film about the city taking its toll on an innocent migrant. Gradually, the characters of Ram Saran Pandey ' the garage mechanic, my protagonist and Gaitonde, his videographer friend were born. A brilliant character that Saurabh created was Tito, a loud, good-for-nothing 'Dubai-return' wannabe. As the screenplay and many other memorable characters took shape we realized that we still did not have a producer for the film. The screenplay was funny, very dark and dealt with characters that were always bundled in contradictions.

We were still dreaming, but in vain' Saurabh spoke to a friend who agreed to back the film. The budget of the film was Rs. 20 lakhs (US$50,000). We were going to shoot the film on 16mm. The producer's only condition was that Manoj Bajpai should play Ram Saran.

After much hesitation and awkwardness, my worst fears came true. Manoj refused the film. He wanted to be part of a much bigger film. He wanted to support me but in a bigger endeavor. In despair I approached the very gifted and under-rated Aditya Srivastava for Manoj's role. Aditya agreed. The producer backed out. By then I was hell-bent on making this film. I was tired of television. I was desperate to hear the whirring sound of a film camera. I was desperate to make a film. I was desperate to make 'Dil pe'' . And the only way to make it was to produce it myself'

An entire book can be dedicated to all the people who came together to realize 'Dil pe mat le yaar!'. My co-producers Anish Ranjan and Ajay Tuli. They believed in my dream. They never let me worry about the constant lack of funds. We lived the agony and ecstasy of this film together. We had many fights, many arguments but ultimately we were driven by the desire to make a great film. We disagreed on a regular basis and had completely dysfunctional personal lives while making this film. My assistant director Kanika. Her father had sent her money from Muscat to book an apartment in Mumbai. That money helped us shoot the first schedule of the film.

Tabu and I met over another script that I wanted to make with her. That script never got made into a film. But I found a friend in Tabu. We became internet pals. She accepted the role without even asking for the script or her role. I narrated the script to her in half an hour. The great thing about this wonderful actor is that she approached her character without being judgmental about it. It was easy to call her character a bitch. She just played Kaamya. She is a special actor and a very special person. Hers was perhaps the most under-rated performance in the film.

Aditya Srivastava showed no disappointment when I told him that Manoj would be doing the role offered to him. He accepted the role of Tito for a pittance. He even contributed money towards making the film. I think Tito is one of Indian cinema's most memorable characters. It was a great performance by a very magnanimous actor.

Saurabh Shukla was admitted to hospital while we were writing the script. He went through the entire pain of making this film with me. He was a stranger to me before the film. I found a brother while making the film. Thank you Saurabh. Without you 'Dil pe'' would have been another unrealized dream gathering dust in my store-room.

This film cost me my friendship with Manoj Bajpai. But I guess passion has its price. We react to situations at the heat of the moment and lose sight of ourselves in the process. Our personal situation, however, cannot detract from Manoj's contribution to the film. His performance was faulted by many but I rate it very highly. It was earnest, energetic and straight from the heart. It was a difficult character that only an actor of Manoj's caliber could pull off.

I could go on and on and on' Vishal Bhardwaj for his eclectic and very original music, Abbas Tyrewala for being more than just a lyrics writer, Anurag Kashyap for encouraging us through the film despite not being a part of it, Divya Jagdale for surprising us with her spirited performance as Gayatri, Remo the choreographer who made his debut with the film, Asha Bhonsle who sang the title track with such energy, all the very talented actors who played bit parts in the film just to be part of it. There are many people to thank and many people to condemn. But that is not the point.

The protagonist of the film begins with a journey that is soaked in fantasy. Ram Saran's world is invaded by the beautiful Kaamya (Tabu). He believes that this ambitious and beautiful page 3 journalist actually loves him. Such is his innocence. Little does he realize that he is just an interesting story for her. His world of fantasy soon leads to despair. Then to desperation. Gaitonde, the videographer is a loyal friend with an unhappy marriage and a terrible bank balance. The only assets he has are a run-down, red scooter and an even more run-down video camera. As Ram Saran's world spirals into a desperate realm Gaitonde changes. Loyalty is replaced by opportunism. Opportunity leads to betrayal. Little does he know that he is in turn being betrayed by his guest Tito and his wife Gayatri. There were multiple layers of betrayal and desperation in the world we had created.

I wanted the film to look 'dirty'. I wanted the images to look carelessly framed and the camera movement to be minimal. As the lives of my characters reached various levels of despair I wanted the film to lose color. My cinematographer Sanjay Kapoor understood this need. We used a process called Bleach Bypass that involves retention of silver on the film negative after processing. I could get into a major technical exposition on this process. I would rather dwell on the end result. We used various levels of silver retention with grudging help from the laboratory (Adlabs, Mumbai) to gradually de-saturate the colors through the film. As the film progresses we have almost monochromatic hues, highly burnt out skies and very dark shadows. Today, it is possible to achieve all this using digital technology though I still feel that digital technology cannot replace the amorphous nature of film. Unfortunately, the DVD transfer of the film does not reproduce our technical innovation faithfully. I wish more people had seen the film at the movie halls.

I realize that I have written much more on this post than I intended to write. But there is a lot more to share. Maybe on the next post. If all of you have the patience to read on'

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

visrom thumbnail
AN ARTICLE ON ABHI!!!!!!!!!
Even as he snoops around as a CID officer on Sony TV, Aditya Srivastav convincingly enacts a negative role in Ram Gopal Varma's latest release Ek Hasina Thi.

Starting with amateur theatre in Allahabad, Aditya moved to Delhi in 1989 to work with the Sri Ram Centre for Performing Arts. Mumbai was the next destination for this talented actor in 1995 where he made his film debut with Shekhar Kapur's Bandit Queen.

"Initially I did voice-overs for ads and promos. I had to choose television over theatre. I had to survive. That's why I did serials such as Yeh Shaadi Nahi Ho Sakti, 9 Malabar Hill, Naya Daur, Saturday Suspense and Rishtey among others," says Aditya.

Aditya soon graduated to doing films such as Satya and Dil Se. "I took a break from television in 1997 to do films. My film Matrubhoomi with Manish Jha was well received in the festival circuit," says Aditya, adding, "But it was only after my role as a police inspector in Satya that I started getting film offers." But Aditya refused the several offers to play cop as he did not want to get stereotyped and decided to wait.
Jan 7 (4 days ago)
Arsha road 2...
Meanwhile, he shifted his focus to television once more. After a couple of episodes in BP Singh's Aahat, he was offered the role of a CID officer Abhijeet in the serial CID. "I joined the CID team in 1999 as second-in-command to Shivaji Satam. Since then I have done more than 200 episodes," says Aditya.

While TV keeps him busy for half a month, Aditya wants to concentrate on films as well. Farhan Akhtar's Lakshya, Milan Luthria's Deewar and Anurag Kashyap's Black Friday are a few of his releases lined up for this year. "Films give me the joy of depicting different characters," says Aditya, who plays Saif Ali Khan's friend, a lawyer with negative shades in Ek Hasina Thi.

After living in Andheri for a couple of years, Aditya settled for the peace and greenery of Sai Baba Nagar when it came to buying his own house.

"I shifted from Andheri in 1997 and stayed on rent in this area before buying this house," says Aditya who is happy spending spare time at home with his wife and daughter and putting to good use the cooking skills he picked up during his bachelor days.

Edited by visrom - 11 years ago
Bhavanab thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Here's the re uploaded version of Adi sir's Sahara Samay inerview ... in case the first one is deleted by any chance !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPc71Y-kXeM
deepikabanerjee thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
i watched "Gulaal" till part 6. I must say one thing, till now i had been underestimating this movie though am quite fond of anurag kashyap's movies just like his contemporaries' Vishal Bhardwaj and Dibakar Banerjee...these TRIO have really revived the parallel cinemas which had begun to suffer.

This movie "Gulaal" revolves around the feud between the pro-monarchists and the pro-democrats. I wont go into too much detail, will just comment on 3 scenes which i have liked till now in the movie. Aditya Srivastav plays the role of Karan, the illegitimate son of a Rajput king and lives with his sister who is a law student.He is fiercely independent and harbours a deeply felt anger for his father though he maintains a calm outward appearance. Kay Kay Menon plays the role of "Dukey bana", a staunch supporter of monarchy and aristocracy.It is he who backs Ransa, the legitimate son and heir apparent of the king to stand for the post of General Secretary in the local college's elections. Karan's sister stands against him for the same post. 

The first scene which i liked was where the otherwise grave and somewhat cold looking Karan gives us a glimpse of his softer side by showing brotherly regard for his sister. While his sister is talking to their father on the telephone who is telling her to withdraw her name from the candidature of the college elections so that Ransa may win, he arrives and takes the receiver from her and asks his father mockingly, "KYA DOGE BADLE MEIN, APNA NAAM DOGE?", we dont get to hear his father's answer but by the wry quirking of his lips we come to know that his father yet again has avoided this question. Then, after the telephonic convo is over, Karan turns around to his sister and softening his tone says to his sister, "TERE GUITAR KA TAAR TOOT GAYA THA NA, YE LE LAGAA LENA," and hands her a packet of guitar strings. Simply loved this display of deep concern for his sister.

The scene above comes when Karan kidnaps Ransa to retaliate against Dukey Bana's attempt at ensuring Ransa's victory by making his men steal karan's sister's exam papers. As per the exam rules only a securing at least 60% marks was eligible to stand in the elections. In this scene, Karan tells his half brother to sign paper which says he is withdrawing his name from the election.

Ransa then begins to pass lewd comments and jeers at karan for his illegitimacy. Karan doesnt show his anger by protesting vocally but one can see the pent up anger in his eyes....hats off to aditya srivastav for having such expressive eyesπŸ‘

Karan walks away calmly while Ransa continues to laugh horrendously. Karan goes a floor above and from the gaps between the grate-like covering shoots the whole round of bullets into Ransa's torso..Just look at the determination on his face.....simply loved this 
debasree04 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
After much hesitation and awkwardness, my worst fears came true. Manoj refused the film. He wanted to be part of a much bigger film. He wanted to support me but in a bigger endeavor. In despair I approached the very gifted and under-rated Aditya Srivastava for Manoj's role. Aditya agreed. The producer backed out.
I think that's the real tragedy of our country...in many cases talent just lost...though there is numerous actors & actress got chance & doing movies without acting...Aditya sir deserves more than that...it is very disappointing that this kind of actor recognised as under-rated ...😭

Aditya Srivastava showed no disappointment when I told him that Manoj would be doing the role offered to him. He accepted the role of Tito for a pittance. He even contributed money towards making the film. I think Tito is one of Indian cinema's most memorable characters. It was a great performance by a very magnanimous actor.
Hats off to u sir...we are really proud of you...& it proves again that u r not only a great actor u r great human being too...πŸ‘
Edited by debasree04 - 10 years ago
visrom thumbnail
I loved that part so much....when I read it for the first time, I was speechless....how could someone be so sweet? He's such a wonderful person. Hats off to his spirit.πŸ‘
anonymous7 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Guys, i just found this article............. i dont know whether it has been posted here....... but anyway, i am posting it............

This is an interview of Aditya Sir On IndiaFM............

"The kind of personality I have, if I am there in a lead role, a film cannot be 100% mainstream" ' Aditya Srivastava 

By Joginder Tuteja, December 8, 2006 - 06:51 IST

In an age of popular films coming week after week and breaking the record of the last blockbuster in the way, there comes a small film like 'Dil Se Pooch'Kidhar Jaana Hai' that takes an offbeat approach and narrates the tale of a couple that got separated post infamous Mumbai riots and met again in diverse circumstances. We get into an exclusive conversation with the male lead of the film, Aditya Srivastava, who has shown his mettle as a character actor in films like 'Bandit Queen', 'Dil Se', 'Satya', 'Ek Haseena Thi', 'Matrubhoomi' and 'Dansh' in the past.

You seemed to have a great start with films like 'Bandit Queen' [1996], 'Dil Se' [1998] and 'Satya' [1998]. Why have you been not so high profile on the big screen even after being there for more than a decade?
Well, I mainly look for interesting roles and interesting scripts. This is why I was there in films like 'Ek Haseena Thi', 'Deewar' and most recently 'Dansh' but then yes, they have been far and few. A lot of my time goes in my serial CID on television and hence until and unless I get to play a very special character, I do not really crave to be there on the big screen.

So is your character that special in 'Dil Se Pooch'Kidhar Jaana Hai'?
Yes, that's true. The film has a backdrop of Mumbai riots and revolves around the characters played by me and Vani Tripathi. Both of us play husband and wife who get separated after the riots. What happens when we meet after years forms the crux of the situation. The irony is that while I am a cop, my wife is now a prostitute. How both of us decide to be together while being scared about the society and the fight that begins henceforth is the underlining drama in the film.

Sounds rather interesting'.
Yes, it is! Because while so many stories are told about people who died or got injured in the riots, there are so many terrible stories about people who were indirectly affected by these riots. 'Dil Se Pooch'' narrates the tale about two such people.

But don't you think that a film with a subject like this needs to be promoted well for its target audience?
Yes, but then I may rather not comment on the film's publicity. If my producers feel that they can get the movie in theatres after a 2 week promotion then they have their reason about doing so. I am not really getting into the 'whys' here and would just want the film to do well whenever it releases!

The kind of personality I have, if I am there in a lead role, a film cannot be 100% mainstream.
What's the relevance of the film's title considering the subject of the film sounds dark?
The idea is simple. Whenever you are on a crossroad, always listen to your heart. That's because the voice that comes from inside is never wrong. It never lies and always guides you well. This is what happens to the main characters in the film. When they are in crisis, they listen to the heart since it dictates what is right and wrong.

For the first time in your career, you play a lead role.
That's right and what an experience it was! In fact I was running away from the role but then it has turned out to be such an enriching experience in the end. Shrirang, the director of the film, had seen 'Satya' and as per him, he had written the script keeping me in mind as the central protagonist. He was sure that he wanted to cast me in the role.

I can be cast as a villain in mainstream cinema but certainly not a hero.
Most of your films have breached on being slightly offbeat. Is that intentional?
I won't say that I have a problem doing mainstream cinema. In fact I have been a part of such films like 'Lakshya' or 'Deewar'. But then let me be honest here. The kind of personality I have, if I am there in a lead role, a film cannot be 100% mainstream. It needs to have a subject which is different from what works as popular cinema. I can be cast as a villain in mainstream cinema but certainly not a hero.

Is that a reason why you played the role of an evil lawyer in 'Ek Haseena Thi'?
True, the role was brief but was brought out pretty well. In fact I would also be seen as a villain in 2-3 Tamil films that I am doing.

And release of 'Black Friday' should be another example of that, isn't that so?
Yes, we all are quite relieved that the film would finally be seeing the light of the day after the Supreme Court judgment. With a Jan/Feb timeframe for the film's release looking probable, Mid-Day [the film's producers] would be devising a publicity strategy for the film and bring it to the audience.

It could be a turning point in your career?
Dekhiye aasha to nai hi rehti hai! There have been number of films that I have done with acclaimed directors in the past and I really believe that 'Black Friday' by Anurag Kashyap would make its mark too.

So what next after 'Dil Se Pooch'.' and 'Black Friday'?
There is a film titled 'Raakh' which I have done with director Hansal Mehta. It is a film in a complete commercial format with Sohail Khan and Mithun Chakraborty. I play a villain in the film. Beyond that I would be also be doing a film called 'Mohandas' with Mazhar Kamran who is an established cinematographer. And no, before you start wondering, film 'Mohandas' has nothing to do with Gandhi!

Edited by darkknight007 - 13 years ago
visrom thumbnail
My thread is not complete. There is lot of stuff on the old thread which I hvae to copy here. Please bear with me. All of you are requested to read the index on the first page. There's a big collection of stuff about Aditya sir. Some of them take you to the old thread. Will update them when I get time. Edited by visrom - 13 years ago
anonymous7 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I know Vis......................... I am just trying to help...................

visrom thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: darkknight007

True, the role was brief but was brought out pretty well. In fact I would also be seen as a villain in 2-3 Tamil films that I am doing.

Can anyone please tell me what are these 2-3 Tamil films where Aditya is the villain?

I saw him in Alwar and it was great. I want to see his other Tamil movies too. Somehow, not many from Chennai/Tamil Nadu on our forum???? πŸ˜• Or are you all silent? Please respond.
Edited by visrom - 13 years ago