|| Mythological Masti :: Doubts & Discussions || - Page 5

Posted: 12 years ago
I've read parts of it.  Usually, when I pick up a Ramayan, I go to the various parts that often differ in account, such as Lakshman being downed by the Shakti, Parashuram's role during/after Rama's marriage, the events following Dasharath's demise and some others.  That helps me determine whether the authors in question are really reproducing Valmiki, or taking even more liberties w/ the epic, and then casting it as their own.

Ramesh Menon seemed to do the latter - I particularly noticed that in his treatment of the story of what Rama did after Sita went to Pataal Lok.

For the original Valmiki, you can find it in this website

http://valmikiramayan.net/

Unfortunately, it doesn't include the Uttarkand, so one has to mine other places for that.
Originally posted by _Vrish_

I've read parts of it.  Usually, when I pick up a Ramayan, I go to the various parts that often differ in account, such as Lakshman being downed by the Shakti, Parashuram's role during/after Rama's marriage, the events following Dasharath's demise and some others.  That helps me determine whether the authors in question are really reproducing Valmiki, or taking even more liberties w/ the epic, and then casting it as their own.

Ramesh Menon seemed to do the latter - I particularly noticed that in his treatment of the story of what Rama did after Sita went to Pataal Lok.

For the original Valmiki, you can find it in this website

http://valmikiramayan.net/

Unfortunately, it doesn't include the Uttarkand, so one has to mine other places for that.

Yeah, Ramesh Menon did take a lot of liberaties in the story...he also added the one about Sita really being Mandodari's daughter, and Mandodari having given her up to get revenge on Ravan for remarrying so many times.😕 Not only does that undermine Mandodari's noble character, but it also destroys the concept of Sita being Ayonija, one not born of the womb.

I forgot the end...what exactly did Ram do after Sita went to Paatal Lok?
He accompanied Kush & Luv to the hut made of twigs & leaves that they were staying in during the yagna, and spent that night there w/ them.  Seemed strange to me - since Valmiki had entrusted him w/ their care, he was @ liberty to take them w/ him to his camp.  This part doesn't quite contradict Valmiki, but it does make something up out of whole cloth.

OTOH, the KL battles w/ SLB were not shown - thank goodness for that.  Instead, Lakshman was described as accompanying the horse, as in the original.

If any author makes Sita Mandodari's daughter, fine, but it's certainly not Valmiki's Ramayan.  So I wish he didn't call it that.
Okay, I'll kick off a question that I used in the example.  How did Ashwatthama & Kripacharya become immortal.  And why was Kripa & Kritavarma not punished after the war for his role in the massacre? (Kritavarma was killed by Satyaki during the fracticide @ Dwaraka, when they were all drunk - in fact, he vowed to avenge the killing of Dhrishtadyumna and slew Kritavarma then & there)
i have a question .. i heard from my grandmother that maharani indumathi was separated from maharaj aja, ram ji's grandfather and dashrath ji's father. does anyone here know why? im curious about the story of aja and indumathi's separation.😳 Edited by ILuvGuruDebi - 12 years ago

Okay, I'll kick off a question that I used in the example.  How did Ashwatthama & Kripacharya become immortal.  And why was Kripa & Kritavarma not punished after the war for his role in the massacre? (Kritavarma was killed by Satyaki during the fracticide @ Dwaraka, when they were all drunk - in fact, he vowed to avenge the killing of Dhrishtadyumna and slew Kritavarma then & there)

i don't know about kripacharya, vrish bhaiya, but i think ashvathama was cursed to be immortal so that the pain and suffering he was cursed with would last forever. it was more a shraap than boon.
Edited by ILuvGuruDebi - 12 years ago
ILGD

I never read the story of them being separated.  When they came of age, they crowned Dasharath and retired to the forest together.  Did the separation you heard of indicate an end to the marriage, or Indumati dying b4 Aja?

I was under the impression that Ashwathama & Kripa were already immortal, and that Krishna gave his shrap and turned his immortality from a boon to a curse.  But Kripa was never punished.  But just curious as to how & why these 2 were immortal?

ILGD

I never read the story of them being separated.  When they came of age, they crowned Dasharath and retired to the forest together.  Did the separation you heard of indicate an end to the marriage, or Indumati dying b4 Aja?

I was under the impression that Ashwathama & Kripa were already immortal, and that Krishna gave his shrap and turned his immortality from a boon to a curse.  But Kripa was never punished.  But just curious as to how & why these 2 were immortal?

i guess it happened after Dashrath ji was crowned and Aja and Indumathi retired to the forest, bhaiya. my dadi ma told me that someone from the heavens carried Indumathi away and Aja pined for her for a long time before doing tapasya and leaving his mortal body. i just wanted to know the full story.

i don't know why they were immortal, maybe there was a background story.

by d way bhaiya, my name is Mina.
Edited by ILuvGuruDebi - 12 years ago
One thing I read on RF, which is hearsay, or more specifically readsay, is that Indumati was an apsara avatar, and so when a flower fell on her head, she died and was taken away, and Ajay then did what you described.  Dunno that I'd call that a 'separation'.  At any rate, I have no idea whether this took place due to any curse on Aja.
I did some research on the immortality of Ashwatthama and Kripacharya - mostly articles that were part of different organizations and temples' monthly mailers that they put up as PDFs, not primary sources - but there was a general consensus they all shared, so I'm guessing that's what would be found in the primary sources (didn't have time to read them yet - these articles, otoh, were only 10-12 pgs long 😆)... it is as follows:
Ashwatthama's immortality was a curse from Krishna after he tried to get Parikshit aborted - until then he had that mani on his forehead that offered protection from disease and vicious attacks, but not absolute immortality. Kripacharya's immortality was also bestowed by Krishna, but as a boon because he apparently proved to be most impartial of the Kuru gurus (not sure how that can be reconciled with his support or at least tolerance of Ashwatthama killing the junior Pandavs, though). It was also to ensure that he would be around to guide Parikshit as well as the remaining members of the Chandra Vansh upon Kaliyug's arrival. Here are some of those write-ups:
http://indiasouthasia.blogspot.com/2011/01/ashta-chiranjeevis-immortals-by-nitish.html
http://ikashmir.net/milchar/pdf/Oct_Nov_2003.pdf
http://whatwhy.in/index.php/featured/who-were-the-eight-immortalschiranjivins-according-to-hindu-tradition/73/
http://www.cuhcs.org.uk/sanskaar/lent11.pdf