|| Mythological Masti :: Doubts & Discussions || - Page 6

Posted: 12 years ago
Umm ... don't know if this is the right place to ask ... but I wanted to know if anyone could tell me when does Sunil Lahiri ji aka Lakshman ji of RS Ramayan's birthday come !!
Originally posted by Bhavanab

Umm ... don't know if this is the right place to ask ... but I wanted to know if anyone could tell me when does Sunil Lahiri ji aka Lakshman ji of RS Ramayan's birthday come !!

Sorry for the delay in responding Bhavana, I myself don't know but try asking that question here... someone else might: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/1579400
Note that for Ramayan, the Ramayan forum has re-opened, while in the new Dwarakadeesh forum, an old thread about the doubts & discussions of the Dwapar Yuga has been moved there.  So now you have

So until these threads freeze or the forum/s close, I suggest using this thread for everything outside Ramayan & Mahabharat, although it's okay if discussion of something segways into something that falls within these.

Lola can advise whether Greek, Norse or Roman mytho questions can be entertained here 😆  Too bad we don't know much about Aztecs & Incas.
Okay, I have a question.

In Ramayan, each chapter is called a Kand, which is further divided into sargs.

In Mahabharat, what you have is parvas.

What are the differences?
I cannot say properly Vrish, but I think the difference lies in the theme of the two Epics. Ramayan i.e. "Ram's Journey" is a rather personal tale of Prince Ram and so its divided into Kands i.e. occurrences in Ram's life. While Mahabharat is a large spectrum political drama spanning 5-6 generations involving most major kingdoms of Aryavarta. Hence its divided into Parvas ie ages or time-spans. If Mahabharat is divided in Kands, then there will be atleast 1000 Kands as unlike Ramayan, Mahabharat has no single central character.😊

You know, untill quite recently, I used to read it as 'Khand' aka part or chapters.😆
Edited by Darklord_Rehan - 12 years ago
But there are very few parvas @ the beginning - Sabha-parva is the second.  But for each of the Kaurava commanders during the war, they had different Parvas, like Bheeshma-parva, Drona-parva, Karna-parva, Shalya-parva & Sauptika-parva.  For Adi parva, one would have thought that there would be several parts to it - say Santanu-parva, Vichitravirya-parva, Pandu-parva, and then parvas for the time before the house of wax (say Dhritarashtra parva), an Indraprastha-parva, then the Sabha-parva & van-parva.  But Adi-parva seems too broad, but after the Shalya-parva, Vyasa seems to get parva-happy and have one for the women lamenting, the Ashwamedha yagna, the fracticide in Dwaraka, etc.  Doesn't seem even.

I asked in the Ramayan Doubts & Discussions thread similar questions about the way the chapters were split up.  Here too, the first 3 didn't seem evenly done.
Edited by _Vrish_ - 12 years ago
^^ Tough question! I would've 2nd'ed Rehan only because "kand" can be translated as incident... but then Vrish throws the curveball 🤓 is it relevant that there are more sargas in a kand than there are adhyayas in each parv? No? Didn't think so... sorry 😵

An unrelated question... The Bhagavat tells us that Kans was the reincarnation of Kaalnemi, who Vishnu defeated during the Devasur Sangram. the Padma Puraan elaborates on that by telling us how Kaalnemi inspired Kuber's servant Gobhil to deceive Ugrasen's wife Padmavati and bring about his reincarnation. My question - is there any relationship between this Kaalnemi and the one Hanuman defeated while getting Lakshman the sanjeevani, or was it just a popular raakshas name?
It was probably a popular rakshasha name, since Ugrasena didn't exist in the Treta Yuga 🤓  Unless the Padmavati they're talking about here is the one that Shurpanakha was said to be re-incarnated from.
Next question: I've noticed that Durvasa's name ain't amongst the immortals.  Anyone knows when and the circumstances in which he died?

No, both Kaalnemi's weren't the same. Ravan's Kaalnemi was just a normal, everyday rakshasa that was meant to simply impede Hanuman's path, while the Kaalnemi Kans was said to be an avatar of was much stronger and more dangerous.

As for Durvasa, I have no idea.