Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Chiinnu thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago
They did a reference about all and then made a mix of all that.

Another example is the Laxman Rekha, which is not there in valmiki Ramayana. 
visrom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

To tell you the truth the version of Ramayan that I know is Rs Ramayan. I have not read any of the Ramayans. This is the only version I know. I learnt about our great epics from the RS Ramayan and B R Mahabharat only.

There are a few deviations/disagreements. For eg...the explanation that Seeta had gone to the forest in Uttar Ramayan on her own will is debatable...my grandmother objected to it when it was shown. She said that Ram had sent Seeta without telling her why she's being sent.

RS Ramayan has shown that Ram was hesitant about sending Seeta away, and was withdrawing and going into a shell, so Seeta decided to find out the matter and came to know what the washerman had said. She took the initiative and reminded Ram that he shouldn't forget his duty, in a way showing that Lord Ram had wavered a bit.

RS Ramayan has sometimes taken other versions, so that viewers feelings are not hurt. If they had shown the original Valmiki version, in which according to my grandmother Ram had actually sent off Seeta without telling her, the sweet image of Ram on TV would have sort of maligned.

Otherwise there was no reason for this deviation from the popularly known version.

Bhavanab thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Ok ... Some discussions going on and I'm stuck here on cell ... Will watch all those scenes and discuss in detail tomorrow as my final sems get over ... I'll really involve myself in the discussions here ...

Like Vis said ... Even for me the only version of Ramayan I know is RS one . my grandma herself has translated Ramayan in Telugu ... And I used to help her .. And so I did fond differences ... RS took the best from all versions and compiled it into a classic masterpiece indeed
visrom thumbnail

Originally posted by: jaisiyaram

I was just trying to remember an incidence where laxman was sleeping to defend Urmila''s sacrifice .. but i still feel laxman was sleeping as that's what the reason hanuman was awake and was keeping an eye .. maya must have played some rle but i think laxman and shri ram both were sleeping...

I just checked with an old Amar Chitra Katha in my house. This is the version there.

Hanuman was keeping vigil and the entire Vanara army along with Ram and Lakshman were inside a fortress made out of his tail. Mahiravana comes in the disguise of Vibhishan and enters. Somehow Hanuman is deceived. Then he does some kind of Maya and puts everyone to sleep, including Ram and Lakshman and he carries them off through an underground tunnel from inside the fortress. So, it is a Maya because of which Lakshman slept. Otherwise, I have never seen him sleep.

There was a scene immediately after our trio left for the forest. They meet Nishaad Raja Guha and spend the night near his village. Guha asks Lakshman to sleep and he says 'Nahin, hum nahin soyenge...'.  Here is the scene.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBS_80Y9dV8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE].

So, we can assume that he never slept...he was always standing guard. Neither did Urmila. 
Edited by visrom - 12 years ago
jaisiyaram thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: visrom

Neither did Urmila. 

If you believe that Laxman didn't sleep, and urimla too.. that means that nindra devi story is not correct?

I was simply exploring other sources and read that Laxman left Urmila to take care of his parents..he also asked her for not crying..so this is not possible that she slept for 14 years as it was her duty to obey her husband's wish.

There is a small story related with this, which i found on internet only. I am not sure of the source though.

While in exile, Laxman had taken a vow to keep awake through out the exile period of fourteen years in order to better serve and protect Sri Rama and Ma Sita. Days, weeks, months and years passed. After a while, the goddess of Sleep became aware of Laxman's penance. Pleased with his unwavering dedication and attention to Rama and Sita, she appeared in front of Laxman. She said that she was impressed by his sense of devotion to his purpose and was there to bless Laxman so that he would not get tired by those sleepless nights. Laxman responded by saying that he could never get tired of serving his Lord and his Mother. To accept her blessings for the purpose she mentioned, would amount to self doubt. And Laxman begged the goddess' forgiveness. 

The goddess of sleep was silent and thoughtful for a while. Finally, she said: "Now that I am here, I cannot go away without giving you some kind of boon. Ask for anything."

Laxman folded his hands and replied: "Devi, I am here under protection (chhatrachhaya) of my Lord Sri Rama and Mother Sita. In Ayodhya, Urmila is fighting a lone battle looking after my parents. So please visit her and bless her so that she does not suffer." So great was Laxman's dedication Sri Rama and Sita that he remembered Urmila for the first time in years.

The goddess was pleased and promised Laxman that she would fulfill his wish. She visited Ayodhya, met Urmila and told her about her visit to Laxman and about Laxman's wish for the goddess to bless her. Urmila's reply was a typical one that only Urmila could give: "Hey Devi, I am honored. But, I am not tired. I can not get tired of looking after my near and dear ones. Moreover, it was my husband's wish that I stay back and it is my solemn duty to obey him. Again, he had not compelled me. He had merely stated his wish. I am happy. Still, if you want to fulfill my wish and bless me, please see to it that Laxman doesn't remember me even once during rest of the remaining exile period, otherwise he will worry about me and that will hinder his dedication to Sri Rama and Ma Sita, which I do not want. So remove me from his memory till then so that he can concentrate and serve them without his mind wavering."
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

As far as I know RS Ramayan was a mix of all the Ramayans and RS had taken the 'best' out of every version. This scene is a nice sweet scene, so RS decided to include this in the TV version.

visrom

The RS Ramayan was overwhelmingly Tulsidas - events like Parashuram @ Sita's swayamvara, Bharat meeting Hanuman while he takes the Dronagiri mountain to Lakshman, the Shakti being used on Lakshman by Indrajit rather than Ravan, as well as the Chaya Sita during the Agni Praveshna.  In fact, I doubt that that team consulted the Valmiki Ramayan @ all.

The AS Ramayan did a good job blending - while it had some of the above scenes from Tulsidas, it incorporated a good deal from Ananda Ramayan (the killing of Shurpanakha's son Shambri), the battle b/w RLBS and Sita's other suitors, the scene after Indrajit's death of his severed hand writing a letter to Sulochana as a result of her pativrata powers.  It included an account of the killing of Ahiravan and Mahiravan, but that didn't seem like from Krittivas.  The Agni Praveshna that they showed was original Valmiki, not the chaya Sita deal.  However, from Krittivas, they included Rama doing the Durga puja and the 1000 lotii.  Hey, in the Uttar Ramayan part, they included things like Rama vs Hanuman battle, Hanuman's sindoor episode, and tossed in a whole bunch of swarnakamal episodes, which clearly they had made up of whole cloth to give Gurmeet & Debina a vacation, while making Vikram Sharma and Aditya Pachori work overtime 😈
Edited by _Vrish_ - 12 years ago
visrom thumbnail
Vrish, thanks for the information. 😊 I have not seen the AS Ramayan. Just saw the first one when I was a kid and that has been my only source of Ramayan info.

I opened this thread specifically for RS Ramayan as I am not qualified to comment on other Ramayans. I am sorry and embarrassed to admit that I have not read any of the books written by the great authors.

I agree, RS has taken a lot of out Tulsidas. Maybe was a version which would make the viewers feel good in the end. For eg - we feel that "ok, Lord Ram was not that heartless as to ask his wife to give an agni pareeksha", whereas the original Valmiki Ramayan version would have made us feel bad if seen on TV. Ram also gives a justification - Yadi Seeta ko ravan haath lagaata toh uske tej se Ravan ke haath jal jaate. We can take it that for a few months, the essence of the real Seeta had left the body of chaya Seeta. The real Seeta might also not have scolded Lakshman calling him a traitor. If we accept the Chaya Seeta concept we feel 'theek hai...that was not the real Seeta who scolded Lakshman'. When watched on TV such incidents have a big impact.

Also about the incidents in Uttar Ramayan you mention, I prefer if the makers stuck to the main story withouth including too much of extra parallel stories. That's one reason I prefer RS Ramayan. 😊
Edited by visrom - 12 years ago
Chiinnu thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
And there is a continuation.

During the pattabhisheka when every one was listening to Rama , suddenly Laxman started laughing.

everyone thought laxman is making fun of them.

Sita thought, he is thinking about the moment he left her in panchavati.
hanuman thought of he makes fun of vanaras.
etc etc...

then ram asked him what happened ... Then he replied. he said Nidra devi to go away and she was away for 14 years...and now in the middle of all joy she is disturbing him again and again and he was thinking about his state and can't stop laughing !!!

visrom thumbnail
🤣 
I can imagine all the sages chanting mantras and Lakshman standing there and yawning. I surely would have fallen asleep.😆Edited by visrom - 12 years ago
jaisiyaram thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

🤣 

I can imagine all the sages chanting mantras and Lakshman standing there and yawning. I surely would have fallen asleep.😆

Laxman actually got good sense of humor and even his anger reflects the same ;)