What made Dharmesh Sir lose that mark? - Page 4

Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by nehlove

If the judges' explanation didn't help clear your query then honestly none of the answers given by anyone else will convince you siddhesh was better on that particular day. IMO, D Sir's style of dance is more hip hop based than bollywood based. I have trained in many Indian and Foreign styles of dances and I speak from experience. Bollywood dancing can have no steps and all expressions and still count as dancing.
In fact, in many indian classical dance styles, there are continuous 10 minute portions dedicated to the dancer sitting in one position just performing with hand movements and facial expressions. It is still dancing even if there are no steps involved. That was NOT the case here... Siddhesh actually had expressions AND dance steps..

Why did the judges tell Paulson that he needed more dancing then? He was doing Tollywood today and he had SO MUCH dance..everyone is so hypocritical.. they say that they have to emphasize the dance aspect because it is a dance show and then they just go against it..and later ,they come back to it..It's so confusing. They should stick to ONE thing then or both..not more of 1 and less of the other.. it would make sense to have more of dance and less of expressions rather than more of expressions and less of dance..cuz that's not what people watch the show for right ? LOL, but I do agree that expressions define bollywood..it's just that this show is a class apart and great performers should show that..Siddhesh is too good..We wanted to see that especially since it was a TAKKAR..if it was a normal solo, it would be completely fine.
Originally posted by pigbelly4myfeet

Basically, Siddesh has a style, class and purpose to the way he dances...especially this style of dance which comes so naturally to him. He's a natural entertainer that way. 

Totally agree.  I'm not a fan of this guy but when it comes to his dancing, can't fault him...those three are the best words to describe his dancing style without a doubt.

I honestly don't think that it was the wrong theme for Dharmesh though. I actually think that THIS in fact was the right theme for Dharmesh. Dharmesh's dance style is just too unique that way to really "fit" into a particular style of dance. It's too freestyle. WIth Prince, Dharmesh looks like an 'uncle-ji' to me honestly. πŸ˜† Prince is just too awesome in his own style for Dharmesh to match up in my honest opinion. Because Dharmesh's style isn't exactly locking and popping either. It's just freestyle hip-hop with that Bollywood/tapori entertainment aspect mixed in. πŸ˜† So I think that's more in tune with Siddesh's style. Plus Dharmesh and Siddesh just have such an awesome chemistry together that they really had to do a takkar together. πŸ˜†

Though yeah, Parvez would've been a good choice to takkar with Siddesh too. But then, he might not have had that chemistry with Siddesh that Dharmesh had. Since Dharmesh and Siddesh have performed together in the past too...and they just know each other better in general too. 

@bold: Excellent point. Dharmesh's style can't be defined as just hip-hop...it appears to be more freestyle because he puts in a lot bollywood tadkas/tricks into it to give it an edge...so by that respect, it is deffo understandable why they put him in the bollywood round...he CAN do bollywood nautanki quite well too as we've seen in many of his performances.

But Siddesh's bollywood style trumped it all cuz this guy's expressions firstly are far superior and COMBINED with that he DANCED superbly as well...didn't miss any beat...sharp, clear movements and so PERFECTLY timed with each expression change, each nautanki bit...THAT is what made for such an enjoyable performance...

I agree with the point someone made about Dharmesh's choreography not being as good as the one for Siddesh too cuz I saw that in some bits it was like Dharmesh was just doing timepass steps like that one DID-2 ka standard step they always do to sliding a hand down one arm and shaking out a "v" or something...he could have added better steps to his choreography. Dharmesh dances very well, of that there is no doubt in anyone's mind...but in this case, the sheer ADAA that Siddesh brought to his performance could not be matched by Dharmesh. And that adaa includes BOTH dancing as well as expressions.

Regarding the point about Parvez...yes he could have been brought in for this round too cuz his expressions are better than Dharmesh...but even then I think Siddesh would have beat him too...Siddesh's dancing is more nuanced and he can outdo almost anyone in nautanki as we well knowπŸ˜†...Parvez has fab expressions but Siddesh level ke expressions nahin hain I think...somewhere Siddesh's years of experience as dancer also give him the edge...I think Remo said it best...this guy knows just when to give the subtlest of expressions or the loud ones based on the beat...he's very good at that and that is what stands out so much when you watch him dance especially when he's in his element in a full on nautanki Bollywood actπŸ˜†
Edited by nureat01 - 12 years ago

Edited by chocolover89 - 12 years ago
i thought they both were gr8 at the same level noone was ahead or behind
I agree dharmesh was cheated. He was just as good as Siddesh. it should have been a tie. The judges are lame.

Siddesh was most definitely better in this takkar. Basically, Siddesh performed like he he could do this in his sleep. Like Remo said, Bollywood style is pretty much in Siddesh's blood. While Dharmesh on the other hand, was struggling quite a bit. You could see the struggle in his performance. That in essence is the difference between the two dancers. Siddesh is effortless, smooth, easy...while Dharmesh is hit and miss. 

I honestly think that Dharmesh is a MUCH better choreographer than a dancer. He sometimes appears TOO untrained for a dancer. But he has such awesome and creative ideas so he's a great choreographer that way. 

As Remo mentioned, Siddesh has that subtlety. He makes use of each lyric, each expression, and each beat at the perfect time. While Dharmesh only makes use of the beat. I thought it was pure genius and awesome the way Siddesh used all the lyrics of his first solo song. The way he used that "bach ke tu nikale" part SO subtly with that slightest tilt of the head. And the whole Amitabh, Dilip Kumar, budhe and bache bit. So many little roles in just about 10-20 seconds WITH effortless dancing as well! It's really commendable man! πŸ‘This guy is a natural at this style. 

The clear decisive part about which one of these guys was better came when they both got the same steps. Here you could clearly see how effortless Siddesh's dancing was. Dharmesh was putting in too much energy and hence his struggle was apparent. 

The reason why maybe some people felt that Siddesh didn't do enough dancing, was because he made it look too effortless. But he did much more dancing than Dharmesh in terms of variety in his steps. Another thing that was kind of off putting to me about Dharmesh's dancing was that he made certain bits of his performance look almost...cheap. I really think Dharmesh needs to train himself better in order to get that balance. That balance of expressions and putting in the correct amount of energy at the right places. 

Basically, Siddesh has a style, class and purpose to the way he dances...especially this style of dance which comes so naturally to him. He's a natural entertainer that way. 

first you called Dharmesh fans psychotic crazy and now you are calling his act cheap πŸ˜•...dont you have something nice to say? what was so cheap in his act? Next time come up with something better πŸ˜‰

are what expression are you talking about.have you not seen dharmesh performance in did 2 where he acted as a bhramin on song (premika na ne pyar se jo bhi de diya).in all his performance his expressions are awesome,and terrence .praised him  so much for his expressions.so stop this nonsense talk about expressions