Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Money Music 

Aspiring singers put music on the back burner and turn to films,televisions,advertisements and more,after achieving fame on reality shows.Lisa Antao tracks this trend 

Today,reality shows are ruling the roost on television.Especially the shows that are searching for singing talent.The purpose of such shows is to give talented people from smaller cities and towns,a platform to become a future Sonu Nigam or Sunidhi Chauhan.But after winning a show,most of these winners end up pursuing other avenues like acting in movies,TV,doing advertisements etc.Isnt this a form of injustice done to the platform and peoples expectations BT explores... 

Do reality shows really help 

Abhijit Sawant,winner of Indian Idol season one,says,Singing reality shows are not like a graduation degree that will get you a job.One has to keep hunting for that golden chance to get a break as a singer.One stumbles upon a lot of obstacles like favouritism and lobbying in the music industry.I have seen people who are not talented,get work because of their rapport with someone.Personal contacts matter,not talent. 
Meiyang Chang who also shot to fame with Indian Idol,acted in Badmaash Company and now hosts TV shows,says,Reality shows only give you an opportunity but once the show is over,you are on your own and you need luck and contacts.Other avenues like acting,advertisements and hosting TV shows definitely give you more recognition than singing.There are so many vying for the music industry,not everybody is successful. 

Exploring other avenues 

Rahul Vaidya,another popular name from Indian Idol,season one believes in multi-tasking and not just limiting himself to singing.I always wanted to become an actor,since childhood.Acting gives better money,glamour,recall value and brand value.If I can act why not Today people like me have to play smart.We cant only be singing behind the mike.Im not doing anchoring out of love but for the brand value, says the lad,who is not ashamed to pursue his other interests.
Music director,composer,singer and judge of Indian Idol Anu Malik attempts to explain why aspiring singers turn to other avenues like acting,hosting shows,etc.They jump into acting,hosting etc.because they feel insecure and scared.Its difficult for them to compete with the already existing singing talent in Bollywood.You cant blame them for trying out other opportunities. 

To deviate or not 

Earlier,music was the sole aim of the show,unlike today where singing reality shows are about glamour and commercial popularity.Today,these shows format is about the public voting for the most popular contestant,often rather than the most deserving one.Award winning singer,Shreya Goshal,had the foundations of her singing career in the show Sa Re Ga Ma Pa.She is perhaps one of the rare species of aspiring singers who stuck to singing.She says,If you are serious about becoming a singer,you should focus on singing.You have to continously do your riyaaz,work on your voice modulation,etc.I feel bad for some aspiring singers who digress and two years later,they have lost the magic in their voices.Also,they get guided by the wrong people who make them lose their focus. And how did she manage to stay focussed Shreya says,Singing was my first priority.Success,money and fame comes later.I got many offers to do stage shows and there was good money in it.But I always wanted to be a singer than a mere performer,and so I did not go for it.It was only after I sang my own songs in Bollywood then,I started doing shows. 
Anu Malik finally summarises the funda behind singing reality shows.Aspiring contestants need to have faith.By doing acting,ads,etc.they end up being jack of all trades and master of none.One should persevere in his/her efforts.Bottom line is: How tough are you Our job is to select and train contestants but we cant spoon feed them all the time.They should be grateful for the platform that they have received.We guide them on the show,but once the show is over,its their decision to continue with music or not. 
[email protected]

Meiyang Chang 

Abhijit Sawant 

Rahul Vaidya 

Anu Malik 

Shreya Goshal 

[Previous] Bombay Times [Next]

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users