Are debates necessary?

Posted: 12 years ago
Why people argue and go on arguing until they shut the other person up...if everyone just listened to the other speaking thn they would be less fights in the world. Is debate to statisfy your ego whn you win or build up your frustration and anger whn you loose, there are some people too in the world where they just forgive and forget, why is a topic needed to have a debate on in this world? should once debate and if one should what you get in the debates
Debates are necessary for the survival of this Debate Mansion...

On a serious note ...why are debates thought of as a negative thing...debates don't mean that u have to win...u are simply putting forth ur opinion and why u think the way u think...of course the debates turn into fights when people start getting personal...if conducted in a proper manner...one can learn more from debates than from text books...just get rid of the idea that ur debate is going to change anyone...when did u change anyone the last time anyways๐Ÿ˜†
This could be a debate about debates! and if it gets boring then we have a debate about debating debates that gets boring, surely that could keep us entertained for a while ...<lol>

To your point, we all want to prove a point, and want to hear another person's perceptive on the same subject. An healthy discussion is always welcomed as long as the individual is mature enough to debate and not take things personally. I never understood why so many debatable topics turn personal and negative; where you don't even know the person you are debating with especially in the world of Internet (open forums). To me life is a debate and you just can not run from it. :)

Edited by night13 - 12 years ago
With different participants, different perception about a subject can be made known. Perception changes with culture, political affliction, personal bias, subconscious prejudice and our own personal understanding of world and its events. In a common forum like IF, all these things are brought to the table which may or may not be acceptable for all. Will these differences lead to fights? Yes. But I don't think its avoidable unless the participants maintain a detachment to the subject.

Debates are necessary to see the world from a perspective different than our own.
And why do we need to do so?
For our own survival!

S

Yup, conversation gives u more gossips and Debate is transfer of knowledge...๐Ÿ˜Š 

I think when someone asks for advice they're really asking "want to start a debate?"  Some situation,I would get kicked out for saying  "Yeah well F๐Ÿคฌ you" when the others makes a good point ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜›

Well we can even debate if this is a good siggy. I say it is very good and I like it.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Opinions may differ esp if a membere does not like the persons shown here.

If a KSG siggy had appeared we would get varied response.

I think debates are a GOOD thing I mean you get to have different views!!!

LOL Summer!๐Ÿคฃ Aaah my eyes cringe when I hear KSG๐Ÿ˜ณ
Originally posted by blue-ice

Debates are necessary for the survival of this Debate Mansion...

On a serious note ...why are debates thought of as a negative thing...debates don't mean that u have to win...u are simply putting forth ur opinion and why u think the way u think...of course the debates turn into fights when people start getting personal...if conducted in a proper manner...one can learn more from debates than from text books...just get rid of the idea that ur debate is going to change anyone...when did u change anyone the last time anyways๐Ÿ˜†

But the notion of debate, or the moment you hear tht you are in a debate it comes that my opinion should be dominant no matter what, i am not going to listen to anyone and yes you are right that debates have fights whn people get personal, debates can sometimes mislead too not necessarily educate more than text books if one has skill to put forth his opinion in a strong manner and his opinion need not most wise thn yes they are misleading too...i find it difficult tht people have tht in mind to get rid of the idea tht ur debate is gonna change anyone, they mostly debate to change the other

haha i didnt change anyone...anytime๐Ÿ˜† might have but dont remember ๐Ÿ˜†
Originally posted by night13

This could be a debate about debates! and if it gets boring then we have a debate about debating debates that gets boring, surely that could keep us entertained for a while ...<lol>

To your point, we all want to prove a point, and want to hear another person's perceptive on the same subject. An healthy discussion is always welcomed as long as the individual is mature enough to debate and not take things personally. I never understood why so many debatable topics turn personal and negative; where you don't even know the person you are debating with especially in the world of Internet (open forums). To me life is a debate and you just can not run from it. :)

Well debates turn personal and negative becoz people debating just want their opinion to be dominating...so even if you dont know the person...one intends to fight for his opinion...
Originally posted by Summer3

Well we can even debate if this is a good siggy. I say it is very good and I like it.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Opinions may differ esp if a membere does not like the persons shown here.

If a KSG siggy had appeared we would get varied response.

So you are saying that debate not necessarily on an intense topic, people would start debating on any matter whether its worth to have a debate on or not. Debates just takes place just for the sake of it