Posted: 12 years ago
It's Ekta's show!! And as is usual for Ekta's shows, mostly because she manages to get the best cast, it comes with a lot of hype. I was on my toes for the show since last week. What do I feel about the first episode?

On a general rule, the first episode could be a huge stimulant or a lil duller than its successors. Tere Liye started with a huge stimulanting, suspense filled episode and hooked people. BALH starts with a slower episode which took its time setting the storyline and the plot. It tried to familiarize with the characters and the backstory.

Priya and Family

Priya: Sakshi as a confident, working woman who earns for her family and unconditionally loves them is not exactly a surprise. She is just an Ekta heroine with jeans and a flashy dupatta. From what I saw of her she is very principled, selfless and ignored by her mother. Also she is someone who is totally in love with the idea of  love. We have seen such girls before in many Ek's serials but one thing that I liked about Priya was her self of maturity and her lack of sad faces. She smiles and doesnt simpers... She walks on confidently knowing that she is too old for marriage and she takes her mother's lack of attention in her stride.

Her family is so typical. A mother obsessed with the younger,prettier daughter and has no time for Priya, a doting but helpless father , a beloved but clueless sister. Is it really given that a mother of an unmarried daughter would be inattentive? No its not and I wish I saw that a lil more but one thing I can identify is that since she believes Priya is past her prime she could be more willing to bestow her attention on Aisha who might still be well-married.

Ram and Family

A hardworking, soft hearted and soft bellied πŸ˜† business man who is shrewd enough to read through slides and naive enough to buy a company merely to attend his sister's wedding. Interesting!!

I loved his hard and soft edges. I also feel his loneliness as he is spurned by his step mother. But once again the family is so typical. A clueless, uncaring step mom who cant see beyond her flawed children and has no feelings for the step son who adores them all. Reminds me of Dhadkan!! Also it has some storyline potential.

Strengths:

Loneliness is the theme that underlies the first episode, Another theme is how wrong footed unmarried old people feel: Ram with his guest who believes it his daughter's wedding and Sakshi with the beauty pageant receptionist. So it promotes marriages at the right time.

The last frame reinforces the loneliness that they both feel while being with their families. This is why people need to get married because after a point your family members move on with lives and u are left alone and lonely.

Overall
Not a brilliant start but an interesting one. Looking forward to more of it. I give a 6.5 / 10

Your thoughts?

Originally posted by Neha_S

Priya and Family

Priya: Sakshi as a confident, working woman who earns for her family and unconditionally loves them is not exactly a surprise. She is just an Ekta heroine with jeans and a flashy dupatta. From what I saw of her she is very principled, selfless and ignored by her mother. Also she is someone who is totally in love with the idea of  love. We have seen such girls before in many Ek's serials but one thing that I liked about Priya was her self of maturity and her lack of sad faces. She smiles and doesnt simpers... She walks on confidently knowing that she is too old for marriage and she takes her mother's lack of attention in her stride.

Her family is so typical. A mother obsessed with the younger,prettier daughter and has no time for Priya, a doting but helpless father , a beloved but clueless sister. Is it really given that a mother of an unmarried daughter would be inattentive? No its not and I wish I saw that a lil more but one thing I can identify is that since she believes Priya is past her prime she could be more willing to bestow her attention on Aisha who might still be well-married.

Ram and Family

A hardworking, soft hearted and soft bellied πŸ˜† business man who is shrewd enough to read through slides and naive enough to buy a company merely to attend his sister's wedding. Interesting!!

I loved his hard and soft edges. I also feel his loneliness as he is spurned by his step mother. But once again the family is so typical. A clueless, uncaring step mom who cant see beyond her flawed children and has no feelings for the step son who adores them all. Reminds me of Dhadkan!! Also it has some storyline potential.

Strengths:

Loneliness is the theme that underlies the first episode, Another theme is how wrong footed unmarried old people feel: Ram with his guest who believes it his daughter's wedding and Sakshi with the beauty pageant receptionist. So it promotes marriages at the right time.

The last frame reinforces the loneliness that they both feel while being with their families. This is why people need to get married because after a point your family members move on with lives and u are left alone and lonely.

Overall
Not a brilliant start but an interesting one. Looking forward to more of it. I give a 6.5 / 10

Your thoughts?

Hey Neha - I liked your post, especially @bold. I agree that Priya's mother is neglectful of Priya rather than indifferent; and that she probably feels that Priya has passed the point where she can be "helped". 

I also liked that both Ram and Priya are well aware of their "deficiencies" (I airquote, because I don't feel that they are deficiencies, only that they are perceived so by others) but don't wallow in misery or self-pity. 

I see your point about the show promoting marriage "at the right time" by making Ram and Priya feel wrongfooted, but I would say that this is a case of the people around them being narrow-minded enough to make them feel wrongfooted. The guy at the beauty pageant counter didn't have to be as rude as he was; had he given Priya a second's chance, she would have explained the whole story. His refusal to even accept the thought that she could be the candidate was a reflection on himself (and on the "norms" imposed by society) and not on Priya's marriage status or lack of it. 

Both feel the loneliness set in, though they have their happiness in their jobs; but if the show advocates marriage purely on the argument that unmarried people will be lonely, then it will do us all a disservice. The show needs to show, at first at least, that the reasons for getting married are not so that they can alleviate boredom, loneliness or any other such internal fears - but purely because they suit on a fundamental and universal level. Marriage for marriage's sake has been done to death, and is not something that I would like to see. 
Howdy? 

This is my usual, I find myself watching a drama and with the way it kick-starts, I learn that it is a mere EK TV serial. πŸ€“ With all these years of impotent storyline and undignified writers, we have all gotten downright stereotypical about EK's dramas. There is this pride in a young lady that she sees cavalcade away if she has to admit in public that she watches a drama which EK produces, this show of all those isn't the same. The beginning was crisp and the concept of the drama is see-through. Ram and Priya come across as herculean characters, there is this good old cliched generalization of the male and female alpha which reflects out of em. If it is an actor orientated call, the show is well enough to appreciate RK and ST for the remarkable acting skills they possess. Otherwise, I have no idea of how long the show is going to capture my attention, given all these shows tend to misplace their indigenous formulation and emerge as something unlikely.

Yours is a well-written account, thank you for sharing it up here. =)

Kankshita 
I get most of ur point and I kinda agree with the whole typical family but for the start was great and is good enough to make me look forward for more.

plus the casts are fantastic and can actually ACT which is always a plus point for me.

Originally posted by psawyer

Hey Neha - I liked your post, especially @bold. I agree that Priya's mother is neglectful of Priya rather than indifferent; and that she probably feels that Priya has passed the point where she can be "helped". 

I also liked that both Ram and Priya are well aware of their "deficiencies" (I airquote, because I don't feel that they are deficiencies, only that they are perceived so by others) but don't wallow in misery or self-pity. 

I see your point about the show promoting marriage "at the right time" by making Ram and Priya feel wrongfooted, but I would say that this is a case of the people around them being narrow-minded enough to make them feel wrongfooted. The guy at the beauty pageant counter didn't have to be as rude as he was; had he given Priya a second's chance, she would have explained the whole story. His refusal to even accept the thought that she could be the candidate was a reflection on himself (and on the "norms" imposed by society) and not on Priya's marriage status or lack of it. 

Both feel the loneliness set in, though they have their happiness in their jobs; but if the show advocates marriage purely on the argument that unmarried people will be lonely, then it will do us all a disservice. The show needs to show, at first at least, that the reasons for getting married are not so that they can alleviate boredom, loneliness or any other such internal fears - but purely because they suit on a fundamental and universal level. Marriage for marriage's sake has been done to death, and is not something that I would like to see. 

I think the norms are precisely why they feel wrong-footed. Obviously being unmarried could be someone's choice but the society just assumes that there must be something wrong with you if you arent married. I guess the show highlights that. However from what I gathered in the first epiosde one reason to marry is getting the right companionship because otherwise you feel too lonely or too alone even within your family as your family members end up being closer to their significant others and u feel like a third wheel
Originally posted by -Kanky-

Howdy? 

This is my usual, I find myself watching a drama and with the way it kick-starts, I learn that it is a mere EK TV serial. πŸ€“ With all these years of impotent storyline and undignified writers, we have all gotten downright stereotypical about EK's dramas. There is this pride in a young lady that she sees cavalcade away if she has to admit in public that she watches a drama which EK produces, this show of all those isn't the same. The beginning was crisp and the concept of the drama is see-through. Ram and Priya come across as herculean characters, there is this good old cliched generalization of the male and female alpha which reflects out of em. If it is an actor orientated call, the show is well enough to appreciate RK and ST for the remarkable acting skills they possess. Otherwise, I have no idea of how long the show is going to capture my attention, given all these shows tend to misplace their indigenous formulation and emerge as something unlikely.

Yours is a well-written account, thank you for sharing it up here. =)

Kankshita 

I do agree they both portray the cliched typical Ek's leads. However I am still hoping for the best with the treatment of the story and its Storylines. Thanks a bunch for commenting😊
Liked the last part the most. I think the last part was the most defining part of the pilot episode. Most supporting characters seem eh except Ram's best friend's character. I think it was Ram's best friend who was narrating the story...at least in the last part.
So, both characters have the whole "loneliness" and "negligence from mothers" in common. Both seem to give their all in their familial relationships--to their siblings, their mohters...but both hardly receive anything in return...not even a simple "thank you" from heart. πŸ€”
by the way, Ram isn't the stereotypical "ruthless" business man or it didn't seem like so to me. To me, it seemed that the man knows how to differentiate between professional and personal relationships. He was quite a jovial guy when with his best friend and his family. LOL he's no stereotypical rich business man character wearing tight shirts  or should i say "MAN corsets"πŸ˜†

@Priya--- same as Ram. she tries to find the most of the littlest she gets from her overbearing mother whose life revolves around her younger daughter, a body through which she lives her dreams.

Overall--- yeah it started out in the "typical" way but  i guess the end  saved it somehow.
Edited by Ramy25 - 12 years ago
i am little disappointed with the start.

why every serial have all negative or mean characters except lead roles?

and why always mother of hero is villain and wife so understanding and devi??
Originally posted by Ramy25

Liked the last part the most. I think the last part was the most defining part of the pilot episode. Most supporting characters seem eh except Ram's best friend's character. I think it was Ram's best friend who was narrating the story...at least in the last part.
So, both characters have the whole "loneliness" and "negligence from mothers" in common. Both seem to give their all in their familial relationships--to their siblings, their mohters...but both hardly receive anything in return...not even a simple "thank you" from heart. πŸ€”
by the way, Ram isn't the stereotypical "ruthless" business man or it didn't seem like so to me. To me, it seemed that the man knows how to differentiate between professional and personal relationships. He was quite a jovial guy when with his best friend and his family. LOL he's no stereotypical rich business man character wearing tight shirts  or should i say "MAN corsets"πŸ˜†

@Priya--- same as Ram. she tries to find the most of the littlest she gets from her overbearing mother whose life revolves around her younger daughter, a body through which she lives her dreams.

Overall--- yeah it started out in the "typical" way but the end was the worth sitting through the beginning and those certain "meh" parts.

I didnt exactly Ram a stereotypical ruthless businessman -I called called him a stereotypical EK male lead. Actually both Priya and Ram are very typical in some ways but very different in others. Its the lil difference that is making me want to watch more of it. As well as the beautiful acting by stars.