Wanderbug thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago

Ever since as a child I had heard this being said that "Santan KuSantan ho sakti hai, Puth Kaputh ho satkata hai par Mata kabhi Kumata nahi ho sakti". It means that a child can be a bad child,an heir can be unsuitable but mothers can never be ill or bad.

I have yet to catch the first episode of the show but it seems that mothers of both the lead protagonists dispell that age old belief. Maybe its too early to cast both as wicked but the first impressions that they leave in the updates is that they both are partial and biased to the point of blindness about the extent their neglected kids are going to to make them happy.

Kekta...sorry Ekta may have not presented the sacrifices and hard work both Ram and Priya go to keep their families happy but they do uphold the fact that they are "ShravanKumar" of modern age. It happens in so many lower middle class families with large number of siblings that the elder children have to shoulder the responsibilities from very young age and by the time the younger ones are settled and ready to leave the nest they are at a stage when they are left alone.

Even today Girls are treated to be some commodity with expiry date in marriage mart,unfortunately. While alliances for middle aged men are rare too, but still relatives and friends still try to get them a life partner. A widower has more of chance of getting a second wife than a single woman in her late 30s or a widow.Thankfully times are changing slowly but still not in the speed that is desirable.

So as I was musing, is family responsibility the only thing that leaves a void in such persons' life as Priya and Ram. Maybe they would not have been lonely or in need of companionship as obviously as to make their friends feel for them if their families had extended a soothing loving hand towards them. Igf their mothers' were better persons.

So maybe many things of the old times are true and the above addage i started my topic with is the rule..that no mother can be bad mother...but like every rule these too has exceptions and sadly our Priya and Ram are saddled with those exceptions of bad mothers.

Your thoughts plz!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

maris08 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Even today Girls are treated to be some commodity with expiry date in marriage mart,unfortunately. While alliances for middle aged men are rare too, but still relatives and friends still try to get them a life partner. A widower has more of chance of getting a second wife than a single woman in her late 30s or a widow.Thankfully times are changing slowly but still not in the speed that is desirable.

@Shilpita, the above mentioned para is very true. I only have a small addendum to it.
In this age of well learned and well placed and highly independant girls, the decision to marry late is conscious and well thought one.What you say may still hold true for the very middle class family, or lower class striving to become middle class. Wherein girls who are the eldest and have family burden,dont have much choice when they hit the wrong side side of 30s. Change is there but very miniscule.
On the other hand a man who has settled all his siblings, and earning hansomely has greater chance of netting good prospects in the marriage mart. But its still a debate whether his bride married him for money or to wipe away that lonliness and give him that companionship,which he craves for.

As far as this show is considered, its acceptable behaviour for Ram's southle ma. But still Its a rare phenomena for Priya's ma to act like that. Little hard to digest this fact, but changing times and priorities in life may dictate such an abberration to happen.
Wanderbug thumbnail
@ maris08: Very well said that now a days many woman take a conscious decision to marry late as they want to settle themselves in careers first.  But here in Priya's case i am presuming a bit that her single status is like she didn't find someone and adding to that she was supporting her family too. Hence i mentioned it that way. Yes, maybe as Ram's mother is step mom so she is shown as being aloof but not all step mom's are like witches in fairy tales naa...we accept it like that because we have be psyched to some extent to accept that step relations are bound to be sour. step mother or not she still is a mother. what about her own kids...by being aloof to the elder son she might have instilled similar values in her own kids and made them irresponsible and selfish(being ekta show there is high chance of the bro being a backstabbing yolk!) So she is not really a good mother for her own kids..in Priya's mom's case so far we can only see plain greed and selfishness and an impossible degree of biasness as her folly.

stranger2rose thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
hello shilpitaji .🤗.good to see u here
and who can disagree with what u write
Fishfish thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Shilpi, My mother always quotes my Nani who used to say, you can be a bad child but never be a bad mother...I know parents are very ambitious nowadays specially the parents who allow their children to participate in cut throat comptitions conducted by various TV Channels.  Personally I feel they should ban such show as a child should be matured to handle the tension/ stress etc etc...anyway coming back to the show...I am sorry I was a bit dissappointed with the portrayal of mothers.  Not that such mothers do not exists but personally I would have loved to see something very different in Indian Television.  Ram a hardcore businessman and someone very mechanical.  Priya also somewhat portrayed like Ekta herself and then two get married coming under family pressure..how they mellow down with the family plotting and conspiring always to bring them together as they feel it is time they have some fun also in life...
I am sorry I was dissappointed to see both the mothers in yesterday's episode...I fear Ekta will again lead us to the same path like her other serials... :( Edited by tintiny - 12 years ago
-Carrie- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Very well written,Shilpi dear👏 

But mothers have done worse than just neglect their offsprings.Just recently I heard a mother killed her four year old son, cut out his heart to make an offering to the deities so that her familiy's money problems are solved😲

Coming back to the show seems we misinterpreted the promo saying the lead marry under family pressure.Looks to me like only Priya's father & Ram's friend will make efforts for the couple to tie the knot.Others seem least bothered.
Wanderbug thumbnail

Originally posted by: tintiny

Shilpi, My mother always quotes my Nani who used to say, you can be a bad child but never be a bad mother...I know parents are very ambitious nowadays specially the parents who allow their children to participate in cut throat comptitions conducted by various TV Channels.  Personally I feel they should ban such show as a child should be matured to handle the tension/ stress etc etc...anyway coming back to the show...I am sorry I was a bit dissappointed with the portrayal of mothers.  Not that such mothers do not exists but personally I would have loved to see something very different in Indian Television.  Ram a hardcore businessman and someone very mechanical.  Priya also somewhat portrayed like Ekta herself and then two get married coming under family pressure..how they mellow down with the family plotting and conspiring always to bring them together as they feel it is time they have some fun also in life...

I am sorry I was dissappointed to see both the mothers in yesterday's episode...I fear Ekta will again lead us to the same path like her other serials... :(

Thats my opinion too Tintiny...barely 3yrs old kids are made to work hard and of course who would not fall for such cute little stars who speak with a stutter and lisps..We as audience find them adorable and watch the shows making the TRP spike up..remember how famous that kid as Krishna was on Colors Sri krishna...I remember as kid my grandma used to love watching Swapnil play Sri Krishna in Ramanand sagar's show..

I have yet to see the show but i am pretty sure that we will see some same ghisa pita TActics of kekta..like a budding romance between the siblings of Leads..maybe even a ONS between them making their wedding imperative and thus in turn forcing the leads to tie the knot..or maybe some familial Blackmailing etc..but since Ram will be the father figure elder brother of young sister..he will probably be the one who will give in first either to push of family and his friend or by his on feeling of responsibility...i am having deja vu of Kutumb2 and Kkusum...😕
Wanderbug thumbnail

Originally posted by: ZubyDutta

Very well written,Shilpi dear👏 

But mothers have done worse than just neglect their offsprings.Just recently I heard a mother killed her four year old son, cut out his heart to make an offering to the deities so that her familiy's money problems are solved😲

Coming back to the show seems we misinterpreted the promo saying the lead marry under family pressure.Looks to me like only Priya's father & Ram's friend will make efforts for the couple to tie the knot.Others seem least bothered.

Sadly even in this day and age people do go to these ridiculous lengths to get what they want...
even kill for caste and honor..

It remains to be seen what leads to their wedding but ab tak to aankhen char bhi nahi huyi hai...so dilli bahut door hai..i heard that MOhit will come in 4th episode I.e. Thrusday so after that their LS will be shown and then their relation will come in open and then the wedding thing will begin..now that IPL and other tangents are not there so lets hope we get there in speed!😃
desigrl05 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

I agree.. when I saw the episode, I am like 'really??'

I can understand if it was a masi/tayyji or any other relation but a mother is really hard to accept that she'd act this way to her own blood.  Both mothers were very biased with their kids.  I guess it would make sense if the 'adoption' theory was put there but its not..so whats up with the favoritism?
Anyways, the situation is sad.. the parents even start using priya as a commodity rather than a daughter.. she's the breadwinner.. so its okay for her to stay at home (?) but as soon as she stops making money all hell will break loose? thats wrong.  And Ram...I feel like he could do a lot and get his family kicked out of his home as he runs the business but he's too good for that. 
I hate how in our culture Indian girls are really used as a marriage tool.. we have a 'shelf' life of up to 29 years... after that expiry date arrives and we're labeled as bad products... its something i wish our culture would change.. even being 23, my dad is already setting up potential rishtas for me.. seriously?? i feel there shouldnt be an 'age limit' to marriage.. thats the thing i appreciate about the western cutlure here.. its not so much about age but more so abou doing it right at whatever age..
Fishfish thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
@Shilpi, _ Oh no !!  No ONS please!!  I already had fill of those in KS!!!  I have not seen Kutumb & Kusum but you are already  putting me on guard grrr...so much so for a different show!!