Ramayan of Krittivas Ojha: a study *New updt pg 11 - Page 4

Posted: 12 years ago
^^ Thanks a lot for the stories, Sema!πŸ€— I really like the first one, it's a cute Sita-Hanuman story which reminds me of the Sindhoor Hanuman story that ASR showed during Uttar Kand.πŸ˜ƒ I heard of this story before, though in that version it took place at Valmiki's ashram after Sita's vanvaas.

Somehow, I cannot accustom myself to the second one though.πŸ˜” The fact that Hanuman would kick a pregnant woman and then slay her baby while it was still an infant seems so much like...Kamsa that I can't think of our beloved Bajrangbali like that.😡  And why would Ram and Lakshman laugh while Hanuman is doing that?! This story reminds me of the Ananda Ramayan version of Uttar Kand, where Ramji asks Lakshman to kill Sita after he leaves her in the jungles and bring him her ear as proof.😲🀒 

Thanks for same for sharing both of them though, you really worked hard typing up all that.πŸ‘
Thank you so much for the stories Sema πŸ€— The first one is really adorable, it reminds me of this scene from the 70s movie Bajrangbali... Krittivas must've been the inspiration behind it!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbbsLkiK99U[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks again yaar, can't wait for more stories

I'm truly loving the story...wooow never knew abt dis stroy of how AhiRavan was born!!!

Brilliant work!!
Keep more stoires coming up to keep us enlightened of more unique stories!!!😳
Urmila

Did Mahiravan's wife die as a result of Hanuman kicking her and forcing the birth of Ahiravan?  And as a rakshasha, he was fully grown after being born?  In which case, he wasn't a baby.

Did all this happen b4 Rama's Durga puja?  In which case, why did Rama have to do tapasya, when he already had Durga w/ him b4 that?

Originally posted by Urmila11

Lankakand

Ahiravan vadh

After Mahiravan's death, his widow queen became furious to take revenge. She thought, "My husband has worshipped Devi Durga (Yogadya) with full devotion. Why did Goddess become an enemy of the king? Goddess Durga is only responsible for all the disturbances in our kingdom; she helped men & monkey to immolate my husband! So I will immerse her idol in water, & then will kill the two men with that monkey!" the queen took bow & arrows & became ready for war. She particularly attacked Hanuman.

Hanuman's all attempts failed in that war, the queen destroyed his each attack! Being worried, Hanuman kicked on her. The queen was pregnant, as a result of Hanuman's kick, a dangerous demon born at once from her womb! He was mature like a young man just after his birth! That son, named Ahiravan, started war with Hanuman. Watching his war, Shri Ram & Lakshman smiled. Hanuman laughed, "A newly born baby has such courage! Unbelievable!"

Ahiravan became indomitable & Hanuman tried to kill him. But couldn't catch him due to the baby's slippery body (as he was covered with blood of mother's womb), whenever Hanuman tried to catch him, he slipped off. Then Hanuman prayed to Pavan Dev, storm appeared & dust covered the body of Ahiravan! Then Hanuman easily caught him & slayed him. Having defeated all enemies, Hanuman returned with Ram-Lakshman. They carried Devi Durga from patal lok in order to establish her in another suitable place. 

Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

Somehow, I cannot accustom myself to the second one though.πŸ˜” The fact that Hanuman would kick a pregnant woman and then slay her baby while it was still an infant seems so much like...Kamsa that I can't think of our beloved Bajrangbali like that.😡  And why would Ram and Lakshman laugh while Hanuman is doing that?! This story reminds me of the Ananda Ramayan version of Uttar Kand, where Ramji asks Lakshman to kill Sita after he leaves her in the jungles and bring him her ear as proof.😲🀒 

If Hanuman is going to be attacked by somebody w/ weapons, and is unable to defeat her, then kicking her is not out of bounds, pregnant or not.  If Mahiravan's wife deserved to have her delicate state protected, she shouldn't have attacked them.

Also, the use of the term baby was a misnomer, since Ahiravan happened to be fully grown, albeit w/ ambiotic fluid all around him, and so fighting him wasn't anything like Kamsa banging 6 of his nephews against the walls.
What is the story of Ram asking Lakshman to kill Sita? I have never heard.😲 Please tell me.

Also, I heard that some lady made a bargain, with Hanumaan, to marry Ram against revealing Mahiravan's location and weaknesses. Who was this lady and what happened to her??😲 I guess she din marry Ram..πŸ˜†
Rehan

The Ananda Ramayan, which was used extensively by Ananda Sagar (no relation, seemingly πŸ˜†) had it that when Rama asked Lakshman to abandon Sita in the forest, he asked for her arm to be severed and brought back.  Lakshman had Vishwakarma construct an arm that resembled Sita, and took it back to Rama 🀒

The other incident that you referred to above was shown in the AS Ramayan, but not in Krittivas.  There, Hanuman wanted the secret of why Mahiravan and Ahiravan kept being brought back to life, and Chandraprabha offered to help him provided he helped her land Rama as a hubby.  She then gave him the secret of how the bees, in gratitude for once being saved by Ahi & Mahi, resurrected them w/ their nectar whenever those 2 were killed.
 [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4NQkWWqL9o[/YOUTUBE]
So Hanuman went and threatened to kill those bees, unless they promised not to resurrect Ahi/Mahi and also did as asked.  He asked them to erode the bed of Chandraprabha, akin to how termites would, so that if anyone sat on it, it would collapse.  He then told Chandraprabha that he'd arrange for her meeting w/ Rama, but if Rama was insulted, the question of marrying her wouldn't arise.  After the death of Ahi & Mahi, Rama was taken by Hanuman to meet Chandraprabha, who had all the arrangements to be annointed as his wife.  However, when Rama sat on her bed, as requested by her, it collapsed, and she apologized profusely, and decided to be reborn before expecting his hand.   According to legend, she was reborn as Satyabhama b4 being married to Krishna
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhCsgTy9BdU[/YOUTUBE]
Ahh...thank you so much Vrish.

The 'bees' are wearing skin-tight tees and pants!!πŸ˜†
I was under the impression that Mahiravan and Ahiravan were killed by Hanuman. Here Ram kills themπŸ˜• In which version does Hanuman kill them?

And why did Ram want to hack off Sita's limb? What did she do?
Edited by Darklord_Rehan - 12 years ago
Rehan

In Krittivas, Hanuman kills both Mahi & Ahi - read the previous pages and you'll know how both died.  In this serial, they had another account from goodness knows where.

As for Rama asking Lakshman for Sita's hand, don't ask! πŸ˜•πŸ€’

@Urmila di,

Thank you so much for creating this precious thread for us. I apologize for not visiting it before, but I had to catch up from reading all those pages. And truly, as you said about the composition, this page itself is filled with intellectualism and Bhakti Rasa! :D I truly loved reading those little stories that made the entire Ramayan more beautiful and explained so much about the Raghukul family.

I especially loved reading about Taranisen. By your explanation I truly got a view of what was happening. That was so beautiful. Thanks a lot di!