CONTEST: Summer Solstice Contest *CLOSED*

spln thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

... to another post
from your

FAVORITE CRAZY CHATTERBOX!

*cue for gasps, and sighs, and swoons... and (just for the dramatic impact) faint-acts too*

Missed me, didn't ya'll?!

*GLEE*

So anyway, moving on to the purpose of my being here - yes, there is one, isn't there always? - the month of June marks the height of summer (it does, where I live. If you're snowed in, in your Hemisphere at the moment, pray be blessed, send some my way please?! *bats eyes*) ...

so where was I? Oh yes, June, the friggin' hottest month of the year, which also happens to contain the longest day of the year.

Remember how your Geography teacher in middle school taught you about Summer Solstice?!

*met by I-just-got-bumped-from-a-Pluto-UFO-and-don't-understand-this-weird-planet-business looks*

Well, she did teach you, but since you all obviously sport
memory spans of a fish, here goes the lecture.

Summer Solsticeis that day of the year which experiences the greatest share of sunlight - that is, the duration from dawn to dusk is the longest.

So?!!

Well so, you don't commit yourself to any sun up to down kind of labor tasks on June 21st. Never.
If you're stepping out, remember to dole out generous amounts of Sun Tan lotion.
You also try to wiggle a half day out of your boss, or at least emo-talk him into paying you for an overtime because this day is so darn long!
If you're the lucky kind (read: not at loggerheads with luck like me) you might just be spending the day at beach, or by a poolside at your friend's farmhouse... sigh, heaven!

*ahem*
yada, yada... you get the point.
No...?

Oh, you want to know why I'm treating you to so much intelligent stuff like ten days in advance?
I just like being nice and giving people heads up.

What?! I know it's not the start of World War II.
But it's the longest sunshine day! Think about what I'm saving you from... sweat, grime, heat strokes... eew!!!
Okay, fine. There is more to it.
Thing is, we're going to plan some fun for the day, well in advance.
*GASPS*

Yes, me, the eternal procrastinator of all ages (who also happens to be an entire day late in pushing up this thread) has decided to do something in life, in time, to be remembered by for generations to come.

*treated by grand awed (don't misread: shocked) silence = SMUG *
😎

So what's on the chart for fun?

Here's what!

Going by the response and success of the previous writing contest - here I come to keep my word with the next!

[yeh, I think I'm Raghuvanshi down in my lineage like 15 generations ago. and that joke is funny to you, if you know exactly what I'm talking about - which you probably don't. πŸ€“
Nevermind!]

And so we bring you

What about?

You write a fictional/non fictional account of
that longest summer day - in your life/your character's life.

Vague much?!

Well, try to remember the fun you had watching One Fine Day...?! - which most likely involved much of drooling over Clooney, occasionally laughing at the kids, and trying to make sure your parents/siblings are not around when you're glued to watching the you-know-what scene ☺️

Well, what was the movie about really?! Just another day, which turned out to be more than just another?! Enough to turn the lives of its characters upside down?!

That's what longest days are about.
Simple (not) !!!

Now, remember one of your own, and narrate like a story.
OR
Make up a story! Talk about how A met B - and what happened...

Make it a first encounter, a first date, a first fight, a first revelation, a first day of holiday... make it the first time of discovering vampire love, or the first time of walking onto platform 9-3/4 on King's, or first time of being transported back in time to when you were born as Cleopatra... or an uber-cool sci-fi theme on how you woke up that longest day once upon a time to find that the alien attack from the previous night left you injected with a 24 hour disorder in your system, such that it temporarily altered your space-time axis and you can control going back and forth 15 minutes in time; wherein you discover it can make you an over night billionaire since you were one of the stocks' freaks from Wall Street...
well, you get the drift!

Tell us your story of a summer day that turned out to be so full of events/twists, that it felt like the longest, ever!!!

I find that a good yardstick to measure up your story against is phamous Miss Rebecca Black's Friday - if your day is anything like her

πŸ˜³
my honest advice is you go back and make changes in the story ...
 πŸ€“

🀣
(no offense to fans, if any)

That set, let's move on.

**  Word limit 6000. You will find me very generous on this account, because I know the sad plight of those like me, not gifted with brevity for a virtue. For those of you lucky pithy kind - there are no minimum limits! So there!

**  Story can be told in Prose or Verse form. Whichever you prefer.

**  Chose any character names. If they are inspired by any existing source of fiction - please credit the same.

**  Focus on the quality of your written piece - grammar, phrasing, structure, plot... it all gets accounted for, in the voting round.

** Use of graphics/videos of any kind is NOT allowed. Not even emoticons.

**  While you can borrow character names from inspiring works, make sure your story itself is absolutely your own. No borrowing themes/concepts.

PM your entries to:  crazycreative

Deadline:  20th June (Midnight, Eastern Time - which is 9:30AM IST)

Because the entries will be posted up for voting on the June 21st - the longest day - there will be no extension of deadline offered.

And that said, time for me to wrap up here!
For any queries, spam this thread.
You meanwhile sit down to rack your brains and jump at this chance to design for yourself one entire day of your choice - not just any day, but
the longest day!

Until then, a Short Goodbye!

[Graphics: starry_phoenix]

Edited by spln - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Jahnvi- thumbnail
Great job with the thread and coming up with the contest. Will pass the word around and get you some awesome writers and stories.
Good luck to everyone!πŸ‘πŸΌ
sunaina02 thumbnail
What is the minimum  word limit ??
maris08 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
NJ  nice topic. Just a query, should the narration be a first person account or a general story telling way??
spln thumbnail
Originally posted by: sunaina02

What is the minimum  word limit ??

No minimum limits =)
spln thumbnail
Originally posted by: maris08

NJ  nice topic. Just a query, should the narration be a first person account or a general story telling way??

That can be entirely your choice 😊
NJ, I'm definitely not participating based on your blatant insult of the ever so talented Rebecca Black.

Shall I say creative idea? I think it is and here's hoping we get some interesting entries...of course nothing along the lines of 'uh oh I think we have to inform the authorities' while adjudging the entry as the winner ;p

Moving on, good luck to all the contestants, great job NJ and Shikhu :)
Krishnaluv94 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Okay, I can tell you are an amazing personality. Promise, no buttering up. 😊 I might try for it, but my lazy self might not write anything. I guess we'll just have to wait... 

Haha. Just because you said it.. for all the haters [including me]! 🀣 [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UBu9Mf3fZk[/YOUTUBE]
Edited by Krishnaluv94 - 12 years ago
aish_punk thumbnail
wow. awesome idea, nj. i really didn't know about summer solstice :P n my memory is awesome, btw.

i'll try to take part, even though i can assure you it'll be really bad. but ugh, even the idea of a long summer day irritates me. i just hate the sun.

anyway, it doesn't HAVE to be a first meeting right?

btw, just WHY did you spoil this beautiful thread with the mention of Rebecca Black? 🀣
spln thumbnail
Originally posted by: seert

NJ, I'm definitely not participating based on your blatant insult of the ever so talented Rebecca Black.

You're kidding. When  had the official clause of [No offense] - you can't  take any πŸ˜† period.

Oh btw, I read something somewhere today, and think you will be quite agreeable to a section of it - going to mail you right away!

cheers,
nj