Jai Jai Jai Bajrangbali

Importance of Vishnu Sahasranama

Abhiram- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago
                      | OM SAI RAM |

The Vishnu Sahasranama, is a stotra containing the 1000 names of Lord Vishnu, also called as Vishnu Sahasranamavali.During the interaction between Yudhisthira and Bheeshma, it was revealed by Pitamaha Bheeshma.

Yudhishthira asked Bheeshma :   
                                                                 '
                    kimekam daivatam loke
                  kim vapyekam paraya?am

stuvanta? kam kamarcanta? prapnuyurmanava? subham  ko                                   dharma? sarva dharma?am bhavata? paramo mata?                            

kim japan mucyate jantu? janmasamsarabandhanat                                                                             

English Translation : In this universe who is the one Deva of all? (i.e., at whose command all beings function?, or who is God of all?) Who is the one greatest refuge for all? Who is the one Divinity by praising and by worshipping whom a man attains good? Which according to you is that highest form of Dharma (capable of bestowing salvation and prosperity on man)? What is that by uttering or reciting which any living being can attain freedom from cycle of births and deaths?

Whereupon Bheeshma answeredby saying that mankind will be free from all sorrows by chanting the Vishnu Sahasranama, which are the thousand names of the all pervading Supreme Being Vishnu, who is the Master of all the worlds, the Supreme Light, the essence of the universe,and who is Brahman.All matter, animate and inanimate reside in Him, and He in turn resides in all matter.

Benefits of chanting Vishnu Sahasranama:               

"That man who with devotion and perseverance and heart wholly turned towards him, recites these thousand names of Vasudeva every day, after having purified himself, succeeds in acquiring great fame, a position of eminence among his kinsmen, enduring prosperity, and lastly, that which is of the highest benefit to him (viz., emancipation Moksha itself). Such a man never meets with fear at any time, and acquires great prowess and energy. Disease never afflicts him; splendour of complexion, strength, beauty, and accomplishments become his. The sick become hale, the afflicted become freed from their afflictions; the frightened become freed from fear, and he that is plunged in calamity becomes freed from calamity."
The man who hymns the praises of that foremost of Beings by reciting His thousand names with devotion succeeds in quickly crossing all difficulties. That mortal who takes refuge in Vasudeva and who becomes devoted to Him, becomes freed of all sins and attains to eternal Brahman. They who are devoted to Vasudeva have never to encounter any evil. They become freed from the fear of birth, death, decrepitude, and disease."

I would like to tell you all an incident, which was told to me by my mother.In coastal Karnataka, there is a highway, named National Highway no.48, which connects Goa to Mangalore, and then further goes to Kerala.There are many towns and cities on the route of this national highway.Also there are many wondrous beaches.One of the beaches is Maravanthe Beach.It is mind-boggling beach.The highway road passes alongside the sea.On one side is the sea, and on the other side is a river called Suvarnanakha.A very beautiful sight, as the road is sandwiched between the river and the seashore.

On the left side is seen the Suvarnanakha river, and on the right side is the Arabian Sea.In the middle is the National Highway No.48.I have passed through this highway, and I have seen this beach many times.
    Well some years ago, this highway was in danger of getting submerged under the sea.If the highway would have gone under the seawater, it would have been difficult to build a new easy road.

A noted scholar, and well versed pandit, whose name I cannot recall now, assembled a group of men,to save the road.They all sat near the seashore,on the sands, and at 6 pm at evening, started chanting the Vishnu Sahasranama, in chorus.They started reciting the Vishnu Sahasranama together,at 6 pm in evening, for many days.And Wonder of the wonders ! The sea started going back !!! Such was the power of Vishnu Sahasranama, that even the sea was forced to go back !! This highway was saved because of this only.

Today, all those group members who had participated in the chanting, recite the Vishnu Sahasranama at their respective homes.The power and collective recital of the Vishnu Sahasranama, has thus; very high power.

So, all of you should recite the Vishnu Sahasranama, every evening.Its easily available in the market.
  I am posting the link of the Vishnu Sahasranama, here:

http://wikisource.org/wiki/%E0%A4%B6%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0%E0%A5%80%E0%A4%B5%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%B7%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A3%E0%A5%81%E0%A4%B8%E0%A4%B9%E0%A4%B8%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%A8%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%AE%E0%A4%B8%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A4%E0%A5%8B%E0%A4%A4%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%AE%E0%A5%8D

Thanks for reading the post.Jai Sai Ram.
           Shri Ram Jai Ram | Jai Jai Ram |

Edited by nivren - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

luminous02 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
                                    jai jai shree ram
thanks for very very nice post
dharma22 thumbnail
wow, ram soooπŸ₯³ nice post
πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³u know this much, i don't knowπŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³
very lovely postπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ₯³πŸ₯³
Abhiram- thumbnail
Originally posted by: luminous22

jai jai shree ram
thanks for very very nice post

U r welcome dear Ritika !! πŸ˜³πŸ˜³

Om Sai Ram |
Abhiram- thumbnail
Originally posted by: fija20

wow, ram soooπŸ₯³ nice post

πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³u know this much, i don't knowπŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³
very lovely postπŸ₯³

Hey Thnxxx Fizaaa😳😳😳
   Well now u know yaarπŸ˜‰ πŸ˜ƒ β­οΈ

Thnxxx again for the compliment πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ₯³ πŸ˜³
dharma22 thumbnail
hay, did u forget ram
no thanks no sorry in friendship
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
luminous02 thumbnail
Originally posted by: nivren

U r welcome dear Ritika !! πŸ˜³πŸ˜³

Om Sai Ram |

continue karte rahana thanks
-Vrinda- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
abhi...super post dear
Cuty16 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Hye Abhi, simply great post dear   ,before coming to dis&cgm forum i use to think dat i have mytho knowledge but now i think i have to know lot of things. Thanx for sharing wid us. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Edited by Cuty16 - 12 years ago
Abhiram- thumbnail
Originally posted by: fija20

hay, did u forget ram

no thanks no sorry in friendship
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ
πŸ‘πŸΌ